• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

FOOLISH MORTALS - Kickstarter Ends November 3rd!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Hey everyone! I used to post under ‘mouseketeer’ but thought I should create a new account to show off the adventure game I’ve been working on for the past 18 months: FOOLISH MORTALS.

BIG UPDATE NOVEMBER 2ND 2022 - OUR KICKSTARTER ENDS TOMORROW!
Hi adventurers! I just wanted to share that the Kickstarter for my merry & macabre point & click adventure game ends TOMORROW!

Please take a look at it at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inklingwood/foolish-mortals/

Over the last month, we’ve hit tons of stretch goals for bonus puzzles, music, backgrounds, and even an INTERACTIVE SONG PUZZLE like Curse of Monkey Island’s “A Pirate I was Meant to Be”! We have a load of awesome rewards on offer too - from appearing in the game as a GHOST, to a 90s style BIG BOX packed with in-universe documents! Please take a look!

BIG UPDATE OCTOBER 3RD 2022 - DEMO AND KICKSTARTER LAUNCHED!
Our playable demo (fully voiced in English, with subtitles in English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish is now available, and we’ve also launched our Kickstarter - with a 90s-style big box PACKED with documents. Plus take a look and back it at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inklingwood/foolish-mortals/

Demo on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1848440/Foolish_Mortals/
Demo on Itch.io: https://inklingwood-studios.itch.io/foolish-mortals

BIG UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1ST 2022 - TRAILER RELEASED!
And we’ve also announced our Demo & Kickstarter will launch October 3rd 2022. Please follow the Kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inklingwood/foolish-mortals/

“Obsessed with finding the lost treasure of Bellemore Manor, Murphy McCallan encounters ghosts, voodoo, and an evil Phantom who wants the treasure as their own! Eccentric characters and exciting puzzles populate the mysterious island of Devil’s Rock in this classic style point & click adventure.”

DEVIL’S ROCK
An island off the coast of Louisiana

“Ever since I heard of the treasure inside Bellemore Manor I’ve been obsessed by it. People said the house was still haunted by the ghosts of the wedding that disappeared there decades ago, but if the ghosts knew where the treasure was hidden, I just had to ask them.

But there’s more to the treasure than I could have ever expected, and now I’ve awakened a household of spirits who don’t mind that they’re dead, and an evil phantom determined to find the treasure before I do.

Fixing the situation won’t just mean getting to the treasure first, but also figuring out what happened on the island all those years ago. But I have a feeling that in order to do that, I’ll have to die too.”

- The Diary of Murphy McCallan

Classic adventure game puzzles, with over 100 useable items, and a built-in hint system
Over 125 gorgeous hand-drawn backgrounds at full HD resolution, including 65 explorable locations
More than 30 fully voiced characters to interact with, and two hours of original music

Steam page is at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1848440/Foolish_Mortals/
Facebook is at https://facebook.com/FoolishMortalsGame
Discord is at https://discord.gg/WpNgMxzD

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The game description and screenshots look very promising. Sounds like quite the project, how is it coming along?

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Thank you so much! It’s coming along really well -  I’d say we’re at least 2/3rds of the way through full production.

We’ve been working on the game for 18 months so far with 110 of 125 backgrounds complete, a quarter of the animation complete, and the full game playable all the way through (albeit with a lot of placeholder stuff - Ron Gilbert ‘wireframe game’ style). My wife and I have been working on it full time, with around 18 other freelancers jumping in and out of the project as needed. The hope is to have a trailer and then playable demo within the next few months Smile

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nice going, good luck and let us know when the demo is available!

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

A treasure hunt? Ghosts? Consider me intrigued. I can’t wait to play this.

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Got a sneak peek of the animation to share!

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Some new screenshots to share! And we’ve also updated the screenshots in our original post. In these in-game screenshots, we’ve tried to showcase how the user interface works - as well as showing off some new locations and characters.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Judging by your posts and the video on twitter, it looks like a great game, made with true love. Looking forward for the demo.

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Hey everyone! We’ve got a major update today - we’ve just released our TRAILER!

I’d love to hear what people think of it.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Wow the trailer actually looks really good I will definitely give the demo a try, my only complaint is some of the walking animations look very stiff.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, the game looks amazing, very polished and intriguing. Like Broken Sword with ghosts. The trailer makes it feel like an epic adventure and touches many strings, I’m already sold.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Thank you both! We’re definitely aiming for an epic adventure with it.

Jdawg445 - 01 September 2022 04:43 PM

my only complaint is some of the walking animations look very stiff.

This is something we thought too, so last week we had it edited to loosen up his “Thunderbirds” hands a bit - it was just done too late the make it into the trailer. The demo will have the new version though, and we’ll probably edit it a bit more as things go on to hone it.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

inklingwood - 02 September 2022 10:54 AM

Thank you both! We’re definitely aiming for an epic adventure with it.

Jdawg445 - 01 September 2022 04:43 PM

my only complaint is some of the walking animations look very stiff.

This is something we thought too, so last week we had it edited to loosen up his “Thunderbirds” hands a bit - it was just done too late the make it into the trailer. The demo will have the new version though, and we’ll probably edit it a bit more as things go on to hone it.

Can you give me any more details about the game, like the vibe your going for, what are all different types of puzzles that there will be in the game, will it be fully voice acted. just some more general information.

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Absolutely! So the vibe we’re going for is Monkey Island meets Broken Sword, which we realise far too many adventure games use as a generic description, but in our case it’s a genuine intention (as they’re my two favourite adventure game series!). I don’t even think it’s a combination that goes together easily - they’re very different games, so it took a really considered approach about what we could borrow from each game series that would work well together.

So most obviously with the backgrounds we aimed for Broken Sword style linework, with Monkey Island style colouring. But getting deeper in terms of gameplay, we aimed for a Broken Sword style experience (we have a past-tense narrator main character, Broken Sword style interface, Broken Sword style story development and reveals, and humour that comes out of the eccentric characters and unusual situations rather than fourth-wall breaking references) combined with a Monkey Island style story structure and puzzles (so inventory-based rather than dialogue-based with over 100 useable items, a story split into four chapters, and the ‘shopping list’ style structure of Monkey Island games, where each chapter requires you to non-linearly accomplish a selection of goals - so that even if you get stuck on one, you can pursue another). For example, Part 1 of our game, The Summoning Spell, requires you to gather five ingredients for a voodoo spell (you can get a glimpse of the voodoo manuscript you’re working from in the trailer!). Our Kickstarter is also going to offer some stretch goals that plus that to six or seven ingredients too (and I really hope we hit them because I’d love to incorporate them).

The aim is to have an epic adventure in the truest sense of the word. We grow the world that you explore: the island of Devil’s Rock (and it’s definitely not just limited to a haunted house! We have whole island map with multiple places to visit: the Deadnettle docks, a cemetery, a riverboat… and lots more), with twists in the story, a ton of adventurous experiences, and what we hope is a really rich world with a story that grows around you. And yes! We’re going to be fully voiced - in fact we’re recording the demo voices next week (seven characters in the demo, with a further twenty-eight in the full game!).

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

inklingwood - 02 September 2022 04:46 PM

Absolutely! So the vibe we’re going for is Monkey Island meets Broken Sword, which we realise far too many adventure games use as a generic description, but in our case it’s a genuine intention (as they’re my two favourite adventure game series!). I don’t even think it’s a combination that goes together easily - they’re very different games, so it took a really considered approach about what we could borrow from each game series that would work well together.

So most obviously with the backgrounds we aimed for Broken Sword style linework, with Monkey Island style colouring. But getting deeper in terms of gameplay, we aimed for a Broken Sword style experience (we have a past-tense narrator main character, Broken Sword style interface, Broken Sword style story development and reveals, and humour that comes out of the eccentric characters and unusual situations rather than fourth-wall breaking references) combined with a Monkey Island style story structure and puzzles (so inventory-based rather than dialogue-based with over 100 useable items, a story split into four chapters, and the ‘shopping list’ style structure of Monkey Island games, where each chapter requires you to non-linearly accomplish a selection of goals - so that even if you get stuck on one, you can pursue another). For example, Part 1 of our game, The Summoning Spell, requires you to gather five ingredients for a voodoo spell (you can get a glimpse of the voodoo manuscript you’re working from in the trailer!). Our Kickstarter is also going to offer some stretch goals that plus that to six or seven ingredients too (and I really hope we hit them because I’d love to incorporate them).

The aim is to have an epic adventure in the truest sense of the word. We grow the world that you explore: the island of Devil’s Rock (and it’s definitely not just limited to a haunted house! We have whole island map with multiple places to visit: the Deadnettle docks, a cemetery, a riverboat… and lots more), with twists in the story, a ton of adventurous experiences, and what we hope is a really rich world with a story that grows around you. And yes! We’re going to be fully voiced - in fact we’re recording the demo voices next week (seven characters in the demo, with a further twenty-eight in the full game!).

Your speaking my language, fully. I hope it delivers, i appreciate the fact that you recognize the fact that so many devs use buzzwords like broken sword, gabriel knight or monkey island, without knowing what that really means. How long will the demo be and will it have real gameplay in the demo? Too many adventure game demos these days are basically long trailers. Also how long will it take for the full game to be completed, and what is the game length your aiming for? Thanks for all the info.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Definitely digging the original Broken Sword games graphics vibe.
Hope the soundtrack is orchestral too!

My computer runs DOS only.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top