• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Starting my Let’s Play of “Art of Murder: FBI Confidential”!

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

I’m not sure how interested anyone is in seeing an LP of this game, but I hope some of you will check it out and leave a comment over on YouTube!  I took an interest in this series because of Still Life, so I went in with high hopes.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I watched about 10 minutes of your play through and with the horrible laggy interface and the bad voice acting I had to nope out real quick, sorry

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 04 January 2022 02:19 PM

I watched about 10 minutes of your play through and with the horrible laggy interface and the bad voice acting I had to nope out real quick, sorry

That’s okay!  Weirdly enough, the game didn’t really lag at all when I played.  But the recording had weird moments like that.  Because of all the issues with this game, I did switch to a better computer for future LPs, if the game itself wasn’t the issue, and I’ll be uploading an LP of a horror visual novel called The Letter alongside it, if that interests you at all.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

why you are being such an ass, get a grip on your frustration with everything.

Hi SyberiaWinx, i believe Art of Murder: FBI Confidential is nothing compared to Still Life, so you would be wasting your time if you held that exception, but it is not that bad also, to be honest, the best of the Art of Murder(s) is the third; Card of Density, that one worth it.

It seems that is your first attempt at an adventure game with your channel, maybe something more famous or ‘loved’, but however, i see you are having quite the soothing voice commentating of your let’s play(s), so keep it coming

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

Advie - 04 January 2022 02:46 PM

Hi SyberiaWinx, i believe Art of Murder: FBI Confidential is nothing compared to Still Life, so you would be wasting your time if you held that exception, but it is not that bad also, to be honest, the best of the Art of Murder(s) is the third; Card of Density, that one worth it.

It seems that is your first attempt at an adventure game with your channel, maybe something more famous or ‘loved’, but however, i see you are having quite the soothing voice commentating of your let’s play(s), so keep it coming

Thanks!  I hope you’ll consider leaving that comment on the video, and maybe subscribing!  I plan to do the entire series!  I have a huge backlog of adventure games from years ago, so I’m hoping to play some of those on my channel too, eventually!  I’ve also got Keepsake and Paradise on the list.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 04 January 2022 02:46 PM

How am I being an ass because I don’t like a games voice acting or controls, I saw her trying to click on stuff and it wouldn’t work. that has nothing to do with her, that means the game has issues. what is your problem or are you really just that dense, that you can’t understand a critique of a game.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

whatever you say champ

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 04 January 2022 02:59 PM

whatever you say champ

I really think you are dense, why not just ignore me like I do you and your idiocracy.

Good luck with your future let’s plays

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks SyberiaWinx. Thumbs Up I really liked the AOM series but aside from that I always appreciate anyone uploading a playthrough. I access them either to experience 10 mins of a game to decide whether I want to buy it, or to fathom out a puzzle visually, or to watch an alternative ending, or to capture some dastardly shots to post in a quiz.  Laughing
I didn’t have any problems with lagging myself.  Smile

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I see your channel is picking up, congratulations. Smile

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Even though it’s a “poor man’s Still Life”, I enjoyed all three games in the series (not counting 2 casual games). Gray Matter is another game in the line of “mystery thrillers with female protagonists” that you can look up as well if you haven’t already. Cheers!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

diego - 05 January 2022 03:32 PM

Even though it’s a “poor man’s Still Life”, I enjoyed all three games in the series (not counting 2 casual games). Gray Matter is another game in the line of “mystery thrillers with female protagonists” that you can look up as well if you haven’t already. Cheers!

I have to admit I also enjoyed the series even though it really isn’t that great. But what I appreciate in AoM is that the sequels get better. This means that the devs are learning. The third game is definitely a good one, I would recommend it to any adventure gamers that have any interest in detectives, murders or female leads. And if the first two seem lackluster, it’s alright to skip them.

And Gray Matter is awesome, a must play.

While we’re recommending Jane Jensen games, I’d also recommend Cognition, which isn’t hers exactly but she had her hands in it. Another thriller with a female lead.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-11-07

PM

Thanks for all the comments!  For some reason, even though I’m subbed to this thread, I didn’t get notifications for any of them…

-

Jdawg445 - 04 January 2022 03:00 PM

Good luck with your future let’s plays

Thanks!  I hope you’ll check some of them out.  I’d like to try doing games like this on my newer OS, but Windows 10 has that issue with reading discs that still hasn’t been fixed.  If you’re into visual novels, I’m also uploading a horror one called The Letter.

-

chrissie - 04 January 2022 03:20 PM

Thanks SyberiaWinx. Thumbs Up I really liked the AOM series but aside from that I always appreciate anyone uploading a playthrough. I access them either to experience 10 mins of a game to decide whether I want to buy it, or to fathom out a puzzle visually, or to watch an alternative ending, or to capture some dastardly shots to post in a quiz.  Laughing
I didn’t have any problems with lagging myself.  Smile

I hope I’ll see you in the comments section, then!  It’s always nice to get comments, though more people seem to just post in the threads. XD

-

Vegetable Party - 04 January 2022 07:10 PM

I see your channel is picking up, congratulations. Smile

Thanks!  i just wish the comments section would pick up, but I might need more subs for that. : P

-

millenia - 05 January 2022 05:51 PM

I have to admit I also enjoyed the series even though it really isn’t that great. But what I appreciate in AoM is that the sequels get better. This means that the devs are learning. The third game is definitely a good one, I would recommend it to any adventure gamers that have any interest in detectives, murders or female leads. And if the first two seem lackluster, it’s alright to skip them.

And Gray Matter is awesome, a must play.

While we’re recommending Jane Jensen games, I’d also recommend Cognition, which isn’t hers exactly but she had her hands in it. Another thriller with a female lead.

I think I’ve heard of Gray Matter on Reddit.  Thanks for the recommendations!  I’ll try and check them out!

-

Also, Part 2 is now up!  Please watch and leave a comment, if you can!

Total Posts: 512

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Good luck with this Let’s Play! I’ll try to find some time to check it out.

Unfortunately I don’t have good memories of the game. Like someone else stated, it plays and feels like a cheap Still Life clone. All the developer’s games (Art of Murder 1-3 and Chronicles of Mystery 1 & 2) had the same strengths and weaknesses imo. The strengths being the technical stuff, such as the game mechanics and graphics. The main weakness unfortunately being pretty awful writing, with poor voice acting not helping things.

But maybe it’s time to play this one again. I played it around the time it was released.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Veovis - 10 January 2022 02:28 PM

All the developer’s games (Art of Murder 1-3 and Chronicles of Mystery 1 & 2) had the same strengths and weaknesses imo. The strengths being the technical stuff, such as the game mechanics and graphics. The main weakness unfortunately being pretty awful writing, with poor voice acting not helping things.

that said, AoM and CoM were yet quite different when it comes to difficulty, the Latter CoM was very much on the casual side

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Veovis - 10 January 2022 02:28 PM

The strengths being the technical stuff, such as the game mechanics and graphics. The main weakness unfortunately being pretty awful writing, with poor voice acting not helping things.

I will add that they’re very good games for beginners, especially for someone starting with a series of a full-fledged hardcore adventures, as they can serve as a gap between casuals - more “serious” games. Imagine throwing a newcomer in the “depth of hell” like Gabriel Knight or Monkey Island, with so many options, perhaps dead-ends and ludicrous puzzles - it can be overwhelming for them and put some people off.

As for the weaknesses I think the main weakness of these games (bare in mind that Art of Murder 3 is a significant improvement over everything else this company produced, like it came from a totally different group of people) is lack of emotional connection we players should feel for the main character, and other characters as well. This is connected to a writing, but also to a general atmosphere and way the things unfold. If authors don’t care too much to show us deeper motivation of their characters and engage us emotionally, then, well we won’t be engaged and it’s what separates classics from good or average games. The “only” difference between these games and Syberia which is an all-time classic, is how authors in Syberia succeeded in made us care about the characters in every moment of the game, and engage us in what to expect next, by putting attention on the narrative and character motivation.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top