• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unlikeable game characters.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

It came into my mind after a post about St Kotar mentioning that the two main characters were not very likeable. My thought was why should they be if it’s in context of the story which we don’t know yet as far as that game goes.

Okay the idea is to name your most hated/disliked character(s) & preferably say why? BUT they should not to be the villains! Protagonists & side character are all game! 

Okay to start, in my mind unlikeable characters fall into two categories: 1) the ones you truly don’t like & 2) the ones you don’t like but you do.

1) The protagonist in Midnight Nowhere was not pleasant.

2) Hector of Badge of Carnage is the last man I’d ever like to meet but I liked him in the game.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Rufus from Deponia. Sometimes he’s funny, often he’s just unpleasant.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Pyoro-2 - 19 October 2021 03:50 PM

Rufus from Deponia. Sometimes he’s funny, often he’s just unpleasant.

Oh Rufus, yes!

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Definitely.

Ceville is a shoo-in, as is Malcolm from Kyrandia. Total heels.*

This may ruffle some feathers, but I found Gabriel Knight a douche in the first game. I think he was supposed to be this seemingly irredeemable bad boy, but then he wasn’t? A lecherous but wildly attractive bohemian, fated to a more noble enterprise (in every sense of the word).

That’s pretty biblical, so it works for me. But honestly the dude was cringey on more than one occasion.

Love him the second game.

* I suddenly wonder: do people actually like these characters? Do they work as some kind of fantasy where you get to be bad?

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

chrissie - 19 October 2021 02:19 PM

It came into my mind after a post about St Kotar mentioning that the two main characters were not very likeable. My thought was why should they be if it’s in context of the story which we don’t know yet as far as that game goes.

They aren’t “not very likable”. They are deeply unlikable. I have not seen a single quality in either that would made me want to stick around for the whole game after playing the lengthy prologue. As far “should they” - I think the should be likable enough for me to at least want to see if there’s character’s transformation or change.

Benedek talks like he reads the answers from the Bible to the simplest questions (he calls his sister “my bloodline’s last soul” on several occasions, for crying out loud). That is when he doesn’t talk to God. Or about God. Or about his Bible. With that being said, Benedek isn’t some nice fella trying to put you on the right path – he is highly unpleasant and can be a downright prick to people, so he comes off as pretentious religious freak you’d want to stay away from even if you’re deeply devoted. Nikolay is not much better, appearing as arrogant douche who used to be up in the religious ranks but now has strayed off that path and is only capable of bitter remarks.  This is a duo a player is in charge of. Sure, there’s always a possibility of a profound character growth in the main game, but starting off with these two jerks killed any desire to find that context of the story at all.

1.Anna from Anna’s Quest. Annoying, squeaky-voiced goody-too-shoes.

2. Probably Gina from “Runaway” trilogy. She’s comes through as a bit high maintenance and in some cases - downright vapid, but I think she’s a good person overall and will stick it out when it counts.

Hector of Badge of Carnage is the last man I’d ever like to meet but I liked him in the game.

Love Hector, although he probably wouldn’t want to hang out with anyone in real life if he could help it Grin

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i dont know, unlikeable based on bad writing, maybe there are some, like Goal of Deponia, but unlikeable bc the writing wants them to be that way, that like a villain or whatever, that is really hard to be done, so i really cant say much either way.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Sonny Bonds - Police Quest series.

You’re a police officer. How much more unlikeable can you get?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Luhr28 - 19 October 2021 08:05 PM

Sonny Bonds - Police Quest series.

You’re a police officer. How much more unlikeable can you get?

HAHA, killer!

i still remember when they made movies where good guys were policemen.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

DCast - 19 October 2021 04:57 PM

It came into my mind after a post about St Kotar mentioning that the two main characters were not very likeable…..

They aren’t “not very likable”. They are deeply unlikable. I have not seen a single quality in either that would made me want to stick around for the whole game after playing the lengthy prologue…

It was never my intention to diminish the extent of your dislike of the main characters DCast!
  Laughing

I don’t play that many demos so those aside I can only think of a couple of games that I gave up on because of a character rather than other aspects. One of them was Carte Blanche because of the annoying shouting of a woman - the receptionist? And the other was Lucius although that was less to do with the character & more to do with not wanting to fill the shoes of a serial killer.  Smile

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 October 2021 04:54 PM

* I suddenly wonder: do people actually like these characters? Do they work as some kind of fantasy where you get to be bad?

I like Malcolm a lot, he was a very cool villain with a twist in the first game and a very interesting playable character in the third Kyrandia where he wasn’t shown as a villain at all, more like an underdog who tried to fix the land that was falling apart.

As for Gabriel, I also love his “douche” side in the first and third games (I desigree with this description though - “douche”, “lecherous”, mon Dieu, he is just a normal guy who loves women! And as it turns out, he truly loves both Gedde and Grace, he didn’t sleep with them just because he could). On the other hand, I can’t stand Gabriel in The Beast Within. Dean Erickson is such a poor actor, and his half-smile becomes irritating very soon. Same goes for the histerical Joanne Takahashi as Grace who cries at Gerde half of the game for no reason, supposedly because she is jealous (then she learns that Gabriel never slept with Gerde and calms down quickly, so silly).

Oh yes, Al Emmo was unbearable. The game just demonstrated that it’s not easy at all to write a character like Larry Laffer, miserable and likable at the same time.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I didn’t mind Dean Erickson in The Beast Within. He didn’t overly fit the image of Gabriel in GK3 which is the 1st game in the series I played so poor acting aside I subconsciously imposed his personality from GK3 on him.
Grace’s love interest is Gabriel (& maybe obsessively so?) so she’s not going to easily stand back & have any other woman taking his attention away from her & she thinks that Gedde will do that. So yes, she’s very jealous & explains her hostility towards her until she realises she’s not a threat. It is quite realistic actually - Grace is a potential suit-slasher (if Gabriel owned suits that is!    Laughing )

When I first played Al Emmo I just stopped because I really couldn’t stand his voice.
I did eventually go back to it & after persisting Al did eventually grow on me….but the awful narrator never did!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 20 October 2021 11:38 AM

I didn’t mind Dean Erickson in The Beast Within. He didn’t overly fit the image of Gabriel in GK3 which is the 1st game in the series I played so poor acting aside I subconsciously imposed his personality from GK3 on him.
Grace’s love interest is Gabriel (& maybe obsessively so?) so she’s not going to easily stand back & have any other woman taking his attention away from her & she thinks that Gedde will do that. So yes, she’s very jealous & explains her hostility towards her until she realises she’s not a threat. It is quite realistic actually - Grace is a potential suit-slasher (if Gabriel owned suits that is!    Laughing )

When I first played Al Emmo I just stopped because I really couldn’t stand his voice.
I did eventually go back to it & after persisting Al did eventually grow on me….but the awful narrator never did!

It was also the last GK game I played, and I had a hard time pretending Dean and Joanne were the Gabe and Grace I knew and loved. I got used to them after all, of course, as their characters became more complex - it’s not easy to ruin Jensen’s writing Smile Yet I still felt bad for Gerde - both the charaсter and the actress. She was treated by Grace like a scum and she couldn’t even fight back properly. I understand Joanne merely followed Jensen’s directions to show an overly protective woman, but I think she just overracted the whole time and was generally unpleasant throught the game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

chrissie - 20 October 2021 09:47 AM

It was never my intention to diminish the extent of your dislike of the main characters DCast!
  Laughing

Grin Grin Grin

chrissie - 20 October 2021 11:38 AM

Ah, yes! Thanks for reminding me - the only game where the voice of a character contributed a solid 50% (at least) to not finishing the game for me - “A Vampyre Story”. It drove me nuts, so along with zero stakes in solving any puzzles, I gave up.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

DCast - 19 October 2021 04:57 PM

They aren’t “not very likable”. They are deeply unlikable. I have not seen a single quality in either that would made me want to stick around for the whole game after playing the lengthy prologue. As far “should they” - I think the should be likable enough for me to at least want to see if there’s character’s transformation or change.

Benedek talks like he reads the answers from the Bible to the simplest questions (he calls his sister “my bloodline’s last soul” on several occasions, for crying out loud). That is when he doesn’t talk to God. Or about God. Or about his Bible. With that being said, Benedek isn’t some nice fella trying to put you on the right path – he is highly unpleasant and can be a downright prick to people, so he comes off as pretentious religious freak you’d want to stay away from even if you’re deeply devoted. Nikolay is not much better, appearing as arrogant douche who used to be up in the religious ranks but now has strayed off that path and is only capable of bitter remarks.  This is a duo a player is in charge of. Sure, there’s always a possibility of a profound character growth in the main game, but starting off with these two jerks killed any desire to find that context of the story at all.

1.Anna from Anna’s Quest. Annoying, squeaky-voiced goody-too-shoes.

2. Probably Gina from “Runaway” trilogy. She’s comes through as a bit high maintenance and in some cases - downright vapid, but I think she’s a good person overall and will stick it out when it counts.

Hector of Badge of Carnage is the last man I’d ever like to meet but I liked him in the game.

Love Hector, although he probably wouldn’t want to hang out with anyone in real life if he could help it Grin

Wow and I thought I had no love for the saint kotar game. When it was first announced I was very intrigued cuz they said it was like Gabriel Knight.the background art was beautiful, but the animations were crappy, the voice acting was atrocious and the dialogue was so laughably bad with barely any puzzles. It looked like a low-budget cash grab.

Well I saw they released a demo this last month and I watched a streamer play it on YouTube and while the animation is somewhat better looking and the interface looks cleaner than b4, it still looks like a very poorly made game. with some of the worst voice acting i have ever heard, that made me hate every single character that spoke.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Doom - 20 October 2021 10:31 AM

I like Malcolm a lot, he was a very cool villain with a twist in the first game and a very interesting playable character in the third Kyrandia where he wasn’t shown as a villain at all, more like an underdog who tried to fix the land that was falling apart.

I really liked him as a villain and I wish they did a bit more with his moral compass in the final game.

As for Gabriel, I also love his “douche” side in the first and third games (I desigree with this description though - “douche”, “lecherous”, mon Dieu, he is just a normal guy who loves women! And as it turns out, he truly loves both Gedde and Grace, he didn’t sleep with them just because he could). On the other hand, I can’t stand Gabriel in The Beast Within. Dean Erickson is such a poor actor, and his half-smile becomes irritating very soon. Same goes for the histerical Joanne Takahashi as Grace who cries at Gerde half of the game for no reason, supposedly because she is jealous (then she learns that Gabriel never slept with Gerde and calms down quickly, so silly).

LOL, well.. different perspectives. Smile I do agree about Grace in the second game, I quite liked her approach to the world, but her jealousy (and the way it was handled) was a bit trite.

Richard from Ark of Time is a character I disliked so much I stopped playing the game. He doesn’t have much of a personality, except for whining when you perform the wrong actions.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I have always disliked Woodruff in Woodruff and the Schnabel. I don’t hate him or think he’s a douche but a very weak character that I care nothing about.

I’m also not a fan of Elaine from Monkey Island at all, I think Gybrush could do better LOL

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top