• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Modern Text Parser Adventures?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

i guess i might be alone in the universe on this but i really really loved typing in actions in adventure games.

it felt more like you were really interacting inside some artificial construct when you got to ‘move’ your character from place to place and ‘input’ what you want to do instead of just point+click. i miss it.  am i the only one? lol
...i guess i must be since otherwise there would be some games out there… or are there?

i know of cypher the recent all text adventure, and thats cool.. i want to try it out soon but what id really love to see is something with amazing modern graphics and a typing interface. when i come back to old sierra games i always love how you get to type your way through everything..

anyway.. so am i the only one who misses typing? lol i guess everyone else just thinks of the negative side of not being able to come up with the correct commands.  it was tedious at times for sure, but that was part of the fun! (:

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

inflikkt - 17 February 2013 06:17 AM

what id really love to see is something with amazing modern graphics and a typing interface. when i come back to old sierra games i always love how you get to type your way through everything..

The only graphic adventure with a parser (for conversations) that comes to mind is the old Starship Titanic (1998).

Text adventures with graphics:
1983: A World’s Fair Mystery - hundreds of black-and-white photos of the Fair
Future Boy! - sound effects too
There’s an active IF community with lots of great, free games. Probably some with graphics too.

PS: I almost forgot the marvelous (but ancient) Legend text adventures! Some with clickable graphics, like TimeQuest.

PPS: Cypher has an atrocious parser.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

You might want to check Façade out. It’s not really an adventure - more of a conversation simulator - but it’s still a neat effort.

Fien - 17 February 2013 06:44 AM

There’s an active IF community with lots of great, free games. Probably some with graphics too.

Oh, yes! Tongue There are almost 500 games with the tag Graphics in the Interactive Fiction Database. “Amazing modern graphics”, though? Probably not so much Wink

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I don’t know if you are alone on that part, but, I do really miss the old “use verb” of the old games. the smart cursor for games now and highlighting the “hotspots” makes so many games too easy.  For example, Day of the Tentacle was so good in that you had to use the look, talk, push, pull, close, open verbs.  I miss that.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

I remember hearing that Spaceventure might have a text parser.
That would be neat if it was true.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

mbday630 - 17 February 2013 11:32 AM

I don’t know if you are alone on that part, but, I do really miss the old “use verb” of the old games. the smart cursor for games now and highlighting the “hotspots” makes so many games too easy.  For example, Day of the Tentacle was so good in that you had to use the look, talk, push, pull, close, open verbs.  I miss that.

Really? Then you must have loved Tears of Betrayal http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17971

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-02-11

PM

I think you’d like Trilby’s Notes, by Yahtzee. It’s pixelly and has a text parser and reminds me of those old 80s pre-point-and-click adventures.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top