• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieMy Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Total Posts: 1076

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Tad - 30 September 2014 07:20 AM
Gabe - 29 September 2014 04:16 PM

One of the best non-linear gaming experience since myst series era and Lovecraft inspired adaptation on interactive media,finally an ag you wont easily forget.

hmm..I wasn’t a big fan of Myst. Found the lack direction boring. Do you think I’d be okay with this?

I think non-linearity,not lack of direction but transcendental here and dont have complex puzzles like myst.I can’t see why can’t ok with this unless you’re an avid fps fan.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Well, FPS don’t bother me and if this isn’t like Myst in those regards I might be okay. Smile

Thanks.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Wow, I think that’s the most beautiful not hand-drawn game I’ve ever played. Not really challengable but I’ve managed to exceed my run up to 7-8 hours because most of the time I was just gazing at the gorgeous scenery and enjoying my wandering around. Looking at the detailed textures and stuff like that. Nothing special about the story and the puzzles, though. (besides the house with the portals. i spent quite a time figuring that and drawing plans of the building. maybe because I didn’t bother to look at the house next to it, that would have been way easier Smile but I’m glad I’ve managed to do this on my own) If these guys try to do something more complex in terms of gameplay and interactivity the results will be mindblowing.
I really liked the “stories” encounters in the game. Nowadays, the moments I’m looking like that o_0 while playing a game are really rare. That moment with the cracken (the sea-thing) will be in my mind for a long time…

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

badlemon - 22 October 2014 07:18 AM

Wow, I think that’s the most beautiful not hand-drawn game I’ve ever played. Not really challengable but I’ve managed to exceed my run up to 7-8 hours because most of the time I was just gazing at the gorgeous scenery and enjoying my wandering around. Looking at the detailed textures and stuff like that. Nothing special about the story and the puzzles, though. (besides the house with the portals. i spent quite a time figuring that and drawing plans of the building. maybe because I didn’t bother to look at the house next to it, that would have been way easier Smile but I’m glad I’ve managed to do this on my own) If these guys try to do something more complex in terms of gameplay and interactivity the results will be mindblowing.
I really liked the “stories” encounters in the game. Nowadays, the moments I’m looking like that o_0 while playing a game are really rare. That moment with the cracken (the sea-thing) will be in my mind for a long time…

It’s also pretty cool to think that the guys behind Bulletstorm and Gears of War were able to make a game that has more in common with Gone Home than a combat type game.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

So disappointed to read that there’s no challenging puzzles. I had such hopes for this one. I’m sure I’ll play it soon regardless.

What happened to challenge?! Seems like every anticipated game these days disappoints in the puzzles department.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

RockNFknRoll - 22 October 2014 03:38 PM

So disappointed to read that there’s no challenging puzzles. I had such hopes for this one. I’m sure I’ll play it soon regardless.

What happened to challenge?! Seems like every anticipated game these days disappoints in the puzzles department.

There are 2 challenging puzzles or at least make you think for a second.  The rest is more in vein with Gone Home and exploring the environment.  There is even a survival horror moment that kind of surprised me.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-10-31

PM

What a beautiful game. I really wanted to love it, but unfortunately the combination of a laxed checkpoint system, pixel-hunting gameplay and an open world really hurt the experience for me Frown.

My first experience with it went like this: I wandered around the beautiful world, inspecting clues from all around the place, never stopping in one place for too long. I felt like I was slowly piecing things together inside my head. After something like and hour and a half of this I took a pause and closed the game for a while.
Once I loaded up the game again I found that I had lost basically all of my progress; all the clues I had previously inspected were no longer highlighted. I’d have to comb through everything - again - if I wanted to progress in the game. Not something I’m looking forward to doing.

So if you play this game, do yourself a favor and keep working on a single scene until you’ve fully solved that part of the investigation, before moving on, because that is when the game autosaves - or otherwise be prepared to start all over again if you need to take a break and close the game.

The Detail, a crime noir adventure in a modern American city. This is a city where cases matter, clearance rates matter, and on a good day even justice matters.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Wow, that’s bad. The game should at least warn you about losing your progress when you quit before solving a specific section. Seems like a strange oversight.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Okay here’s what I think. It’s beautiful, sure. Absolutely stunning. The philosophy against handholding is admirable and the openness is refreshing.

However…

You simply can’t have a huge open world and expect players to pore over every pixel looking for items. That’s worse than the worst “pixel-hunting” of the 80s and 90s. I spent a whole hour looking for a “rock” among thousands of rocks (and didn’t find it) and got severe motion sickness in the process. If they want to call that non-handholding they can, I call it bad design. My view is that a framing device like Myst’s (Riven is a better comparison) slideshow mode is still absolutely necessary in a game like this, otherwise you’ve created a hidden object game. Myst didn’t hide objects, it pointed you towards them by removing the unnecessary pixels. So does almost every other adventure game. This game lacks a framing device like that. Having a real-time, ultra-textured, open world here is not a progress in anything except aesthetics.

Of the other similar games, Gone Home was better because it was a very small environment, and Dear Esther was better because there were no objects to find. But if you have played Ethan Carter and agree with what I’ve said, you owe it to yourself to try Ether One. It tries something similar and succeeds. It isn’t perfect but it’s taking this little sub-genre in the right direction, and for me it is the best iteration of the style produced so far.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-01-01

PM

Zifnab - 05 November 2014 06:28 PM

Okay here’s what I think. It’s beautiful, sure. Absolutely stunning. The philosophy against handholding is admirable and the openness is refreshing.

However…

You simply can’t have a huge open world and expect players to pore over every pixel looking for items. That’s worse than the worst “pixel-hunting” of the 80s and 90s. I spent a whole hour looking for a “rock” among thousands of rocks (and didn’t find it) and got severe motion sickness in the process. If they want to call that non-handholding they can, I call it bad design. My view is that a framing device like Myst’s (Riven is a better comparison) slideshow mode is still absolutely necessary in a game like this, otherwise you’ve created a hidden object game. Myst didn’t hide objects, it pointed you towards them by removing the unnecessary pixels. So does almost every other adventure game. This game lacks a framing device like that. Having a real-time, ultra-textured, open world here is not a progress in anything except aesthetics.

Of the other similar games, Gone Home was better because it was a very small environment, and Dear Esther was better because there were no objects to find. But if you have played Ethan Carter and agree with what I’ve said, you owe it to yourself to try Ether One. It tries something similar and succeeds. It isn’t perfect but it’s taking this little sub-genre in the right direction, and for me it is the best iteration of the style produced so far.

Just checking, but you do know that there’s a built-in hint system that shows you where the objects are? Not that it’s interesting gameplay wise, but I wouldn’t call it pixel- hunting.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top