• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Overboard discussion Thread

Total Posts: 839

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I sank another hour or so into this game over the past couple of days and eh, it’s really not doing anything for me. It doesn’t feel like a puzzle that can be figured out with anything but extensive trial and error. You need to play until you discover what to say to who, and who will be where when so you can say these things to them at the right time, and then who needs to be killed and who needs to be allied with and who needs to be bamboozled, and then figuring out where/when to do all this. It’s definitely a puzzle, and I can see the appeal in figuring it all out. But it’s not the kind of thing that I enjoy, not without a more compelling plot and cast of characters that I like more.

My initial comparison of this game to Sprung (Nintendo DS) was a joke, but the games have plenty in common after all. Too much.

I’m going to delete the game from my PC, I can’t see myself going back to it anytime soon.

Mod edit: Removed your ‘kind’ offer.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 June 2021 12:01 PM

I’m going to delete the game from my PC, I can’t see myself going back to it anytime soon. If any forum regular wants my copy, pm me. I can give you access to my GOG account and you can have it. First come first served.

Please don’t. That’s not very ethical, is it.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Karlok - 14 June 2021 05:03 PM
Baron_Blubba - 14 June 2021 12:01 PM

I’m going to delete the game from my PC, I can’t see myself going back to it anytime soon. If any forum regular wants my copy, pm me. I can give you access to my GOG account and you can have it. First come first served.

Please don’t. That’s not very ethical, is it.

If I didn’t think it was ethical, I wouldn’t be offering. I see this as the modern day equivalent of me buying a game from the store, realizing that I don’t like it, and giving it away to a friend who might.
If you want to start a new topic discussing ethics in the (relatively) new age of digital distribution, I’d be keen to participate.
So you know I’m not being snarky or glib about this: I buy *all* of my games. I don’t own a Raspberry Pi and never will, because that’s too gray for me and I’d rather not go there, even if in some cases it might be legal…or at least, the rights owners (if they still exist) for a certain game wouldn’t mind.
I own waaaaay too many physical cd’s because I bought *all* the music I wanted to listen to, in the age before Spotify, and even after Spotify I like to give my money directly to the bands.
And it’s not quite here or there but close enough: I don’t wait for sales on games—if I can afford it (and thank goodness I usually can), I buy games right away, even if I don’t need them right away, because I think most indie developers could use the morale boost and my money right away.
I do share my GOG account with my family, so I guess that if that makes me a pirate, at least I am a family oriented pirate. The pirate you can bring home to mom.

Anyway, sorry if that explanation went overboard, I just wanted to explain where I’m coming from.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

You’d be in breach of GOG’s terms of service if you gave someone else access to the account.

End of story on that.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I’ll leave my post the way it is so as not to make all subseaquent posts confusing.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks BB for trying out the game. Your honest opinions are much appreciated.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 15 June 2021 06:36 PM

Heart

Of course! Funny thing is, after one playthrough I was hooked. After three, I fell right off the hook. I wonder if it was my mood. Maybe I’ll end up playing it at ‘the right time’ sometime and I’ll think it’s killer again.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 June 2021 06:08 PM

If I didn’t think it was ethical, I wouldn’t be offering. I see this as the modern day equivalent of me buying a game from the store, realizing that I don’t like it, and giving it away to a friend who might.
If you want to start a new topic discussing ethics in the (relatively) new age of digital distribution, I’d be keen to participate.
So you know I’m not being snarky or glib about this: I buy *all* of my games. I don’t own a Raspberry Pi and never will, because that’s too gray for me and I’d rather not go there, even if in some cases it might be legal…or at least, the rights owners (if they still exist) for a certain game wouldn’t mind.
I own waaaaay too many physical cd’s because I bought *all* the music I wanted to listen to, in the age before Spotify, and even after Spotify I like to give my money directly to the bands.
And it’s not quite here or there but close enough: I don’t wait for sales on games—if I can afford it (and thank goodness I usually can), I buy games right away, even if I don’t need them right away, because I think most indie developers could use the morale boost and my money right away.
I do share my GOG account with my family, so I guess that if that makes me a pirate, at least I am a family oriented pirate. The pirate you can bring home to mom.

Anyway, sorry if that explanation went overboard, I just wanted to explain where I’m coming from.

I think along the same lines, and my family is welcome to all my accounts at all times as well. It would be an interesting discussion indeed.

But the main question is - why was there no detailed essay on your opinion of “Overboard”? You can do better than a few sentences, BB Grin

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 June 2021 07:28 PM
Adv_Lvr - 15 June 2021 06:36 PM

Heart

Of course! Funny thing is, after one playthrough I was hooked. After three, I fell right off the hook. I wonder if it was my mood. Maybe I’ll end up playing it at ‘the right time’ sometime and I’ll think it’s killer again.

The game is actually pretty though. You have to do the right thing at the right time or it’s to jail with you.

After my first three plays I was pretty frustrated too. But I hung in there and finally got the great ending. And as always I felt great after I got it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

BB’s Top 3 games of all time list, 2025 edition:

3. Overboard
2. Legend of Kyrandia
1. A New Beginning

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Luhr28 - 15 June 2021 08:47 PM

3. Overboard
2. Legend of Kyrandia
1. A New Beginning

Smile

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I was already a massmurdererereress but now I’ve finally managed to bump off everybody! That’s so cool.  Cool  Very weird ending though.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@karlok: interesting haircut, great game. Thumbs Up

Luhr28 - 15 June 2021 08:47 PM

3. Overboard
2. Legend of Kyrandia
1. A New Beginning

The only three games I managed to smuggle into DRM prison, after the Baron was caught red-handed by the Galaxy Police.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Will A New Beginning be the most named game across AG Forums? Tongue

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

@Luhr, I guess the #1 reason for not writing an essay—or maybe a diatribe is what you are looking for?—is the amount of time I had when I wrote that post.
But really, Overboard isn’t a bad game and I don’t really want to be a buzzkill. I completely understand what it is that Karlok and Adv_Lvr enjoy so much about this one, it’s just not for me. Overboard strikes me as the kind of game that I would best enjoy playing with someone else in person, where the social element of solving it together would more than compensate for what is, by design, a repetitive narrative. Yes, I think it is repetitive even though small (yet possibly important) details are revealed with each play through.
The idea is certainly a clever one. Actually, it’s the kind of game concept that I would dream up on a long solo bike ride or something. I think that in this instance it works better in concept than execution. For me, this idea would really be great in the context of a broader narrative, where you can go chapter by chapter, choosing to replay a specific chapter in order to change the particulars of all the following chapters. If you reach a dead end in, say, chapter 7, you can identify why and then go back to, say, chapter 4 and correct that reason why. However, that correction might alter something crucial in chapter 6, which would present a ‘dead end’ later on. So you keep on replaying chapters until you’ve figured out exactly what needs to be where in order to reach the end.

The story wouldn’t be time travel. You as the player have the ability to replay chapters to make things work out how you want them to, but the game would be rooted in its own time-linear world (just like Overboard).

Anyway, this went off the rails *ahem* over the rails, but yeah, cool idea but not for me.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top