• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Spontaneous CPT of Strangeland

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I have like five minutes for this..

For some reason, I didn’t see the response from Dcast earlier today.

I get what you’re saying. It was a bit like reading a book on philosophy, religion and mental health that is structured around dialectical quotations. Even if you like the allegories, the references and all that the writing seems to imply, it’s a pretty cold and demanding way of getting a point across.

I’m glad you liked the puzzles, I enjoyed them as well. I was also hoping for one puzzle that would’ve been a real head-scratcher, but as it was, the flow and pace of the game was never interrupted, which counts as well.

The art, for me, was a bit heavy. I see you really liked this aspect of the game. Nice! For me, it was bit of a challenge in and of itself. It was.. evocative? Not generally my cup of tea, but well done, nonetheless.

I’ll get back to the discussion, there are some things worth talking about, still.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nineveh sent me on a bit of a mental journey today. I ended up with a theory that is not even half-baked, not even cookie-dough, it’s basically water splashed over some far-fetched flour.

I just tried the annotation mode and apparently, it’s very dense on the Norse mythology.

The Cicada gave a shout-out to Lacan (as they do), which made me reconsider the ideas I had right after solving the phone number puzzle. I should’ve guessed the oppressive use of language and symbolism was more than just a stylistic choice..

Within the first five minutes of playing with annotations, the game also confirmed something I had hoped was just a vague association I had while playing. Major spoiler: it’s about cancer. In that light, I think the psychological struggle of the character is less about someone being driven into (and kept in) Limbo by dysfunctional modes based on structural experiences, but rather a sudden crisis, based in abjection.

I think one of the birds made some weird allusions to monogamy and then there’s Teretoma..  Still not sure what to make of that. I have a theory but it’s heavy, disheartening and crude. I think I’ll give the annotation mode another chance tomorrow, because I do wonder what’s beneath the surface.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

I finished the game about a week ago, and then I played the most of it again with annotations and commentary tracks. In short, I like this game very much, albeit with some reservations. My biggest complaint is that the locations were recycled for the final 1/4 part of the game. Ok, they look differently, and I like the idea of Deadland, but still, it’s basically the same locations that we’ve been visiting throughout the game. You can learn in one of the commentary tracks that they’ve expanded the game at one point, so I take it that Deadland was added later in the development process, but when they decided to expand the game, it would be better if the locations were entirely new. As it is, it gets a bit stale. This was a slight disappointment to me, because the game oozed quality up until that point.

I read your posts here, they were all interesting to read, as is usually the case on this forum. Re: the discussion about the game (I’m paraphrasing) not actually having as oppressive mood as it initially appears. I think there’s two important reasons why this is so:

- Lots of humor! This game is pretty funny, and I think that removes a lot of tension.

- The protagonist can be seen as a sort of a warrior. Bear with me. The protagonist encounters various monstrosities, he keeps dying, but he never gives up. He is surrounded by despair and contempt, but he keeps his resolve. He faces his darkest demons, he stares into the abyss, which requires courage. I don’t remember a single moment in the game when the protagonist exhibited a defeatist attitude (though perhaps other posters do?); he kept fighting, with no complaining. He is constantly nervous when talking to characters, though, but I liked that; this is a man whose entire psyche is falling apart, cut him some slack.  Tongue

Related to his warrior-like status (in my head), are the sort of “mythical/magical/superhero” tools he uses. The enhanced-dagger with a purple glow, the spirit lamp, the golden wings… With these items equipped, he becomes the hero who is finally ready to face the darkness within, so the items become a sort of a symbol*. I think the game sits well in the context of the “hero’s journey” concept, though I’m no expert on literary theory. He encounters many obstacles on his journey, he bests them, and he experiences a transformation of character in the process…

*although they are also symbolic for something else, according to developers

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Luhr28 - 09 June 2021 03:19 AM

Sophomoric, in other words? It was clear to me there was a lot of talent behind Primordia, but yeah, that’s not the kind of feedback you want to be getting for your second game. Ouch.

Wouldn’t necessarily go for sophomoric, but more like… slightly overwhelming? I have started playing with annotations and comments now, and it is clear to me that the writer (with his very long-winded explanations about which he warned in advance) is really much involved with what he wrote, so it doesn’t come through as pretentious, but just very very dense.

Imagine if you decide to take a class on physics, and you get a professor who can explain the most hard-to-digest concepts in a simple and entertaining manner, so while it’s complex, it is also understandable and even interesting to you (shout out to Michio Kaku here)... Or you get a professor who’s absolutely passionate about the subject, truly so, but he uses the most obscure, difficult terms explaining stuff, and it’s not because he’s trying to make it complicated - it’s just he doesn’t have that ability to relay it in more layman terms, so he passionately and genuinely proceeds to carry on with something that has lost you a long time ago… The “Strangeland” writing is kinda like that second version. A huge chunk of it is based on this very little known, highly poetic Norse mythology book that the writer loves, so he proceeds directly quoting from it in almost every other line of dialogue. It’s clear to me that he’s really sincere in his love for this work, so it might not quite come to him how this can be not very player-friendly to regular folk attempting a game.

I love a good metaphor or a interesting allegory as much as the next person, and I’m an avid reader, but when 95% of writing consists of just metaphors, allegories, obscure quotes and sort of high-brow, artistic writing - it makes my brain want to come up and gasp for some air, and just begging for a break in pace with a regular speech or some simplicity. It’s just very very dense here with all the double-meaning/symbolical stuff, so it becomes tiresome at some point to wade in all this beautiful, but ultimately very speculative writing.

What’s interesting - is that in a few of the comments, the artist for “Strangeland” specifically states that “Primordia” was mainly his concept, and here, in “Strangeland” he is only on board for the artistic and musical parts of the game, and that it is a brainchild of the writer through and through. I’m going to go ahead and say that it is almost palpable, that difference in the driving power. So while it is a talent behind “Primordia”, (and “Strangeland” is clearly made by all-talented team) - it is a different distribution of that talent, and it shows.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Vegetable Party - 09 June 2021 04:08 AM

I get what you’re saying. It was a bit like reading a book on philosophy, religion and mental health that is structured around dialectical quotations. Even if you like the allegories, the references and all that the writing seems to imply, it’s a pretty cold and demanding way of getting a point across.

Not even necessarily demanding, but rather highly artistic approach to a problem that could have been much more relatable otherwise. I can absolutely see what he’s saying, but I go through it as a work of poetry and religious speculations, so while I admire the way it’s written, I’m left rather untouched on a personal level, as it takes real, raw human emotions out of it and supersedes it with eloquent quotations and beautiful turns of the speech that make it the sort of work of art I’m rather distanced from, emotionally, on a primal level.

The art, for me, was a bit heavy. I see you really liked this aspect of the game. Nice! For me, it was bit of a challenge in and of itself. It was.. evocative? Not generally my cup of tea, but well done, nonetheless.

I don’t see macabre art as “dark”, I simply see it as another form of creation, but that is very personal. of course.

I also prefer to see it as a form of sublimation. And if someone somewhere decides to transform a little of their internal uneasiness/struggle/anxieties into a form of art, instead of harming (in any shape or form, even just being stagnant in that state emotionally is a form of self-harm) himself or others - that makes it a positive process that alleviates some of the heaviness or darkness in my mind when I look at the product. I hope I’m making sense here.

We all have personal tendencies of what can affect us the most, I believe. And for me it’s mostly music or written word (which is maybe why the writing didn’t quite work for me - it went too artistic and allegorical, so it wasted potential on building up the mood I could have absolutely be subjected to (like “The Cat Lady” which was simply phenomenal, although it had lots and lots of long-winded dialogues there along with more brief, emotionally charged statements), but the visual art of that kind - I tend to usually see as “interesting” and “peculiar” rather than disturbing.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Bon - 09 June 2021 07:47 PM

- Lots of humor! This game is pretty funny, and I think that removes a lot of tension.

Not something I have seen in this game at all. Lots of humor? I wonder what you’re referring to exactly?

If it’s the clown head jokes, then I wouldn’t call them humorous - they are funny in a cruel sort of way, because they make fun OF the protagonist and his situation in a rather merciless manner, and if we consider that it is a manifestation of self-conscious (which the annotations confirm) - it would be one of those very bitter, self-depricating way one can “laugh” at themselves when they don’t find things funny but rather really sad.

I also replayed the game with annotations, and I thought it is a pretty serious work, based on grief, loss and depression, and if you listen to the writer’s comments - there wasn’t really any humor in them.

I still think that the game isn’t bleak, because, again - we keep moving forward with a Stranger, but I would never call it “pretty funny”, so I’m genuinely curious about the moments you found such, as that is a very personal matter.

To me, every character I came across had deep and very dark undertones to their statements (especially if you manage to wade through all the symbolism) even in their most benign (maybe even said with a laugh) statements.

I think the game sits well in the context of the “hero’s journey” concept, though I’m no expert on literary theory. He encounters many obstacles on his journey, he bests them, and he experiences a transformation of character in the process…

There are, I believe, 4 different endings to the game, and only 1 of them could be, I suppose, described as “best something and experience a transformation”, or come close to it… Same goes for defeatist attitude - as Stranger, you get to die many many times, and in many many ways, and in some cases he says something along the lines of “I’m done with it” to paraphrase it. It’s just that you get stuck in a loop of consistent resurrection, so you have no choice but to come back, but if that wasn’t the case - there were plenty of moments Stranger attempted to take himself out of the situation. As a matter of fact, the whole game is a battle with that defeatist attitude, and he loses in more cases than he wins. I suppose it is a hero journey, in a way, but I saw it completely differently than you did. Which is pretty cool, to be honest, that there are such wildly different opinions on the matter.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Hi Bon!

The Norse mythology got me to consider your warrior-interpretation. It gives the game more direction and the protagonist more agency, though I’m not sure if it works for me in light of the psychological themes. Perhaps as a metaphor for (re)coding/decoding the subconscious, after a sharp disruption, losing a point of reference for the self? (then again, another metaphor..)

I think there’s some humour in the raven, if you like your homonyms.

Regarding bleakness: it’s interesting how people define the term, perhaps it says something about our experiences and outlook on life. To me, perpetual struggle and self-chastising is (generally) more bleak than resignation. The Stranger’s actions seem quite destructive as well. That may fit the warrior theme: accomplishing goals requires obstacles and/or some kind of adversary to be eradicated.

Maybe the game is trying to tell us: your desire to fight only brings more destruction. It won’t help to overcome grief. In the end, resignation, even if it means to accept being/feeling hurt, is the only way to move on. Rejecting acceptance and turning it into a force for destruction will only continue a cycle of pain.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Luhr28 - 09 June 2021 03:19 AM
DCast - 09 June 2021 01:15 AM

Secondly, and it ties a lot with the first reason, what made the story not work for me to even larger degree is the writing. To me, it was just… tiresome? Intelligent, deep, thought-provoking, but just SO tiresome. Everyone and everything spoke in quotes and aphorisms. Everything is a symbol for something else, everything is a metaphor for another metaphor for some kind of allegory. Aside clown head with his silly/cruel jokes (and even he, obviously, had double meaning to his words) there is so much flowery prose, pontification, grand statements and quotes, quotes, quotes… that whatever little connection I had to the Stranger was almost wiped out by all that volume of dogmatic/artistic writing. Maybe, this wasn’t for me, maybe I was just missing something, but even if I dug really deep inside myself - I couldn’t find anything even remotely close to what I have read: in my thoughts, my own words or stories related to me by others who experienced trauma/tragedy. It’s like I read a poetry book about depression. I can say that it was beautifully-written and marvel at the language used, but nothing much besides that, because it left me cold, and I couldn’t find connection inside, even if I went through similar things.

Sophomoric, in other words? It was clear to me there was a lot of talent behind Primordia, but yeah, that’s not the kind of feedback you want to be getting for your second game. Ouch.

Regarding the symbolism, I think this game might fall into the trap that Primordia, for all of its use of biblical and esoteric references, deftly avoided. That is, it is so easy to attach an esoteric or mystical reference to something and artificially attach the weight of ages to it.
I’m tempted to say that it’s a cheap way to add the illusion of depth to any piece of art, and well, ya know what, I will say it: It is. However, I don’t think that Strangeland is too guilty of this—many of the references and symbols used are appropriate for their in game corollaries, and broadened the narrative without adding exposition (this is a great way to use symbolism and allegory). Perhaps at a certain point the writers just got carried away. Sometimes it happens…you realize that 20% of a piece you are writing has a particular characteristic and think ‘hey, that’s pretty cool, what if we did *everything* like that.’
And you know what? For some, that might actually work. Some people enjoy researching and cogitating over every last shred of text, plumbing the depths of every sentence or turn of phrase, to milk it for every last drop of possible meaning. However, as a game that also has the explicit wish to carry the player along at a swift pace so that he experiences the narrative in a relatively smooth and unbroken way, asking us to stop and consider every arcane sentence is counter productive. But there is an annotated version of the game, so maybe that’s the reason for that.
Personally, there were a lot of references that I intuitively understood (or at least, they meant something to me) and enjoyed ‘getting’ them. Others I chose to ignore, and don’t really feel that my experience was diminished by doing so.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Okay, so I finished this game a couple of days ago, and there’s a lot to unpack here. I’ll do my best to express my thoughts without turning this into a bazillion word essay.

Let’s talk about the mechanics first.

For the first 1/4 or so of the game, I really enjoyed the puzzles. I thought they struck a nice balance, making me feel useful and clever as a player, but not being so difficult as to frustrate my desire to see what happened next in the story. The story beats that I got as a reward overcoming an obstacle were that much more rewarding because the obstacle I needed to overcome presented a satisfying challenge. Unfortunately, I think that the puzzle quality diminishes as the game goes on. For a game that specifically asks the player not to brute force the puzzles, a startling many of them actually require some version of brute force, or are just as easily forced as solved. Often times I did not want to exhaust every dialogue option, as I tried to choose the correct ones that would let me progress without upsetting the characters I was talking to. I quickly learned, however, that in almost all instances (all but the man-headed dog toward the end), you have to say everything to everyone.
In an interview with one of the devs, he states that the starfish puzzle is his favorite. I don’t even see how that’s a puzzle. You have to randomly choose answers to his prompts until you find the ones that upset him. Then you talk to him again and choose those four(?) answers in a row.
The ‘logic’ puzzles are mostly rehashes of old ideas, made so easy that there’s no reason to use logic to solve them. And because of the abstract and unreliable nature of the world you are in, leaps of logic (ie. Brute forcing) are encouraged in several of the inventory puzzles. There’s nothing heinous in the design, but after the strong puzzle design at the start of the game, I was to varying degrees let down by the remainder.

Graphically, this is a technically impressive retro-style game. The world of Strangeland was exciting to discover. Getting into the tent and meeting the mouth monster for the first time was scary, going down the well and freeing the cicada was exciting—would the creature that emerged be friendly for foe-y?—, and getting on the roller coaster felt, well, like getting on a roller coaster…but for different reasons than one normally feels in a theme park. The problem is that there is no real discovery in the second half of the game. You go from Strangeland to Deadland, and not only do you traverse the same areas all over again, you essentially do the same puzzles all over again too. As someone who plays adventure games to feel like he is on an adventure, this retreading really took some of the wind out of my sails and some of the excitement out of the great graphics.

Basically, I felt that Strangeland’s gameplay was indeed a rollercoaster, full of ups and downs, peaks and valleys, highs and lows, and a few really great loop-de-loops.

This segues decently into my thoughts on the game as a holistic work of art. Hooboy.

Okay, where to begin. The retreading. I don’t know if I’ve ever played a game where the mode of expression is as appropriate to what’s being expressed as it is in Strangeland. The game is about depression, anxiety, doubt, and struggle. It might make for some frustrating gameplay, but I *love* the way that this inner journey is communicated, through a series of restarts and glitches. The ‘lesson’, if I can call it that, where the main character continues to ‘die’ and end up back at square one, but always carries with him the things that he has acquired and the knowledge that he has learned, is wonderful. It might seem like all efforts are futile, but they’re not—what appear to be the most devastating, painful, and irrecoverable defeats are actually crucial stepping stones on the path forward.

Regarding the MC’s doubt and his relationship with the woman. This is complicated, to me, and I really like it.
In the beginning and middle of the game, I thought: The MC was in a relationship with a woman who had self-destructive or, to be more general and open to more universally relatable interpretation, dark or unhealthy tendencies. He loved her and tried to be there for her, but in the end he couldn’t save her. Maybe he tried his best until the very end and it still wasn’t enough, or maybe he realized that saving her was beyond his ability, or maybe he realized that it was beyond his ability to save her without putting himself at significant risk in the process…so for whatever reason, he didn’t save her (I’m not necessarily laying blame on him). However, and this leads me to the belief that he is actually a decent fellow, he feels deep regret that he couldn’t/didn’t save her, and is plagued by the retrospective doubt that perhaps he could have, if only X, and Y, and Z. This is a heck of a lot to live with.
The ending seems to reveal that the woman did not kill herself or anything like that—she seems to have died of illness. The MC is devastated by her loss, racked with doubt that maybe he could have done something to save her, and can’t live with the doubt or without her. He is living in *her* deadland, as he imagines it in his own head.
It’s true that everything we experience in the game, even the woman, is his imagination. The triumph is that by the time we have reached the end of the journey, he is flying on wings of light (and not the dark wings we used at first) and resting his head in the lap of his golden haired love, who also emanates a light. These and the cicada are the only two instances of benevolent light that I can recall in the entire game. It’s lovely.

But…(continued in my next post)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Continued from my last post…

But…while the journey and its themes, when considered from afar, have universal resonance, they become more and more individual the closer you get. Strangeland is without a doubt an autobiographical game. When we begin the adventure, the framework is very loose and the mystery is deep and shrouded. At this point, it is easy to mentally reconcile the experiences of the MC with some of our own, especially since there is so much open-to-interpretation symbolism. As the plot becomes more acute, it becomes more and more personal, and therefore less relatable. It reminds me of certain pieces of music, which are so intimate and soul baring that they are admirable for their nakedness and effectively devastating expression, but which also become uncomfortable, because it becomes increasingly clear that this is not a party I have any business being at. The singer might have needed to create this song in order to find understanding or catharsis, but what purpose is served by making it public?
Even if the song *is* somewhat relatable…what is the motivation for sharing this unremittingly bleak darkness?
Well, in the case of Strangeland, there is the happy ending, but I can’t help but feel that many people who can relate to the themes expressed here might not *want* to relate to them, might not feel that it is healthy to assume the role of the MC and relate to his state of mind, just so that the game can be fully appreciated.
When I think about it from this perspective, maybe Strangeland works better as a work of art than as a game? If so, then it is darn near a masterpiece in the exploration of what it is like to live with crippling anxiety. To wit (pun intended), the way the darkness of doubt manifests in an ever questioning, ever undermining, sneering voice in the MC’s head is incredible, and one of the most amazing pieces of characterization I’ve seen in an adventure game (or work of art) this side of Laverne in Day of the Tentacle.

Okay…I’m a little exhausted at the moment, but might continue this later.

Basically, Strangeland is a fair-to-good game in some ways and a masterpiece of introspective narrative in others. Could it be such a masterpiece without also being a game? No. But the game definitely gets the raw end of the deal here. I don’t think I’ll ever recommend Strangeland to anyone, but I’m glad I played it and I’m glad it exists, because there is definitely potential for a more perfect coalescing of game and theme, and that would be transcendentally amazing. And since Strangeland is made by the same folks who made Primordia, I get the feeling they are capable of it.

Also, I never grew tired of the word play and aphorisms. I loved it when you looked into the object marked ‘abyss’ and say ‘I don’t think it’s looking back.’
And when you give Gershom an eye and say ‘You might want to see this.’ And he says ‘Do I?’ (Eye, haha), ‘We shall see.’ It’s not exactly humor, but it’s a form of levity, and maybe the only levity that can be utilized effectively in such a bleak world without causing extreme dissonance.

Toodles for now!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Awesome. Thumbs Up

I’ll write a couple of final thoughts tomorrow.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 June 2021 06:09 PM

Awesome. Thumbs Up

I’ll write a couple of final thoughts tomorrow.

Glad you enjoyed. I’ve got a few minutes to spend between work and dinner, so I’m going to shed some light on one of the major characters in the game, the fella ‘neath the tree who is responsible for so many of the quotes, symbols, allegories—and clues! in the game. His name is Gershom. This is an allusion to the Talmudic elucidary Rabbeinu Gershom (the Hebrew translation of ‘rabbeinu’ is ‘our teacher’ and it is used as a high honorific that is rarely used. It is usually reserved for Moses, who is often referred to in Jewish texts and colloquially as Moshe Rabbeinu). Rabbeinu Gershom was also known as Rabbeinu Gershom Me’Or Hagolah. Me’Or Hagolah means ‘the light of exile.’ This man is so revered in the Jewish heritage that his writings are considered almost the equivalent of the Torah as it was handed down by Moses at Sinai—which was directly told to him (Moses) by God on top of the mountain. That’s pretty heady stuff.
Anyway, the key words here, of course, are ‘the light of our exile’, and the fact that the historical Gershom and the Strangeland Gershom are both known for their writing. The protagonist of Strangeland is exiled from external reality, light, and life. Gershom, beneath the tree, writes the work orders and gives him the information which is necessary to help him find his way. It’s good stuff and makes perfect sense…although it leans heavily into a history/mythology/area that many people will be completely unfamiliar with.
There is a mixed symbol here that I’m curious about. Once we cross over into the Deadland,  there is a snake dripping venom, drip drip drip, onto Gershom’s head. This *has to be* an sinister allusion to the story of Rabbi Akiva, where Akiva demonstrates the positive power of persistence by showing his wife that even large stone can be impressed upon by something so seemingly powerless as a drop of water, if the water persists and drippity drops onto the stone for a long enough time.
I don’t remember the dialogue between the MC and Gershom regarding the dripping venom well enough to explain it any deeper, but there’s something there. Especially since, in another poignant Gershom conversation, he says something along the lines of ‘do something enough times and it loses its meaning. Write something enough times and the words lose their meaning.’ It makes sense that, this being Strangeland/Deadland, the dual-incarnation of the rabbis Akiva and Gershom would take the positive lessons of their true-life counterparts and twist them into something significantly more nihilistic.

One part of the game that I have a hard time wrapping my head around, maybe someone could offer their interpretation and help me out: I tried to be kind to the denizens of Strangeland, and didn’t like that the game design required me to harm or kill most of them. Was I being too naive? Were all of these characters just malignant structures that had to be destroyed in order for our hero to achieve the benevolent epiphanies that he finds in the final stretch of the game? My initial interpretation was that, by out and out killing these constructs, he is killing pieces of his mind rather than reconciling with them. But you know, not everything that lives in our minds deserves to; sometimes we do have to sever ourselves from some pernicious mental entities that infect our consciousness. We don’t necessarily have to pack rat away every piece of mental baggage we ever owned. Mental amputation is not always mental suicide.

Okay, a couple of more thoughts before I go.

I didn’t like the way the final dialogue played out, between the MC and the woman. For all its heaviness, the game managed to avoid philosophical exposition up until that point. Then, at the end, we lay there in her lap, like on a therapist’s couch, while drops these enlightened life hacks on us. ‘Don’t look it in the face. Look it in the eyes.’ That’s good stuff, but couched in a monologue of similar gems, it comes across as the climax of a self-help seminar, not as the climax of an adventure game.

Also…The cicada said something that I loved, about living underground for 17 years and coming up to see the light for such a brief time. I forgot what the line was exactly, but I really enjoyed it, especially since, where I live, *THIS IS THAT TIME* when the cicadas are coming out! There are hundreds of thousands of them living in my area, and when I ride my bike up the mountains their individual chirping noises combine into one endless drone of a chirp. You can’t imagine it if you haven’t heard it. It sounds like an alien spaceship landing. Anyway, if anyone has that line from our cicada friend, please remind me what it was.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

I thought some more about the game after your replies. First of all, I completely agree with Vegetable Party’s beautiful summation of the game’s message:

Vegetable Party - 10 June 2021 03:20 AM

Maybe the game is trying to tell us: your desire to fight only brings more destruction. It won’t help to overcome grief. In the end, resignation, even if it means to accept being/feeling hurt, is the only way to move on. Rejecting acceptance and turning it into a force for destruction will only continue a cycle of pain.

However, I still see the protagonist as a warrior-like figure, at least in the context of the ending I got, which was the “happy” ending (happy in the context of the story about facing one’s demons, overcoming them/ accepting the reality, and beginning to learn how to live again).

Let me explain. As I see it, the protagonist has been stuck in this hellish purgatory of his mind, for quite a long time before the start of the game. So, from the start of the actual game, things are only getting better for him. Yes, he falls again (twice!), but in my mind, there was not a single moment of doubt that at the end of the game, the protagonist would get better.

Now, these days I am, actually, surprised when a horror game’s story doesn’t happen in an allegorical setting, that symbolically represents the protagonist’s issues. In these games, as a rule the protagonist is not aware that he is actually inhabiting a highly-symbolic surrealistic landscape, located in his head (soul? somewhere else?), until the end when he gets better. I have seen this kind of setting in horror games so many times now, that when it became clear that Strangeland was another such story, my reaction was: “meh”. Throughout the game, the characters have been bombarding me with, not at all subtle, hints that, for example, they were just some masked fragments of the protagonist’s wounded psyche. The word ‘shadow’, which is a concept in psychoanalysis, in connection with “the man on the payphone” was used so many times…

The way I saw the Dark Thing at first, was as a symbol of reality that the protagonist should not run away from any longer. Now I know that the Dark Thing represents something else (cancer). Still, this was a goal for my warrior to reach, in order to get better mentally. I believed, correctly it turned out, that chasing this goal would eventually lead to the recovery of the protagonist.

Because of all these reasons, I didn’t feel much, if any, emotional tension while playing. So, after besting one obstacle after another, falling, getting up, besting some more obstacles, using the cool tools I mentioned earlier… the image of the protagonist as a warrior crystallized in my mind. Even though his course of action was not the wisest possible, the protagonist was a person who had, heroically so, found enough inner strength to keep trying to get better. It was only a matter of time before he succeeded.

Or, to put it another way, even though the message of the story is that it would have been much healthier for the protagonist to stop trying to fight the cancer, in order to reach that point of acceptance, he had to keep fighting not cancer, but his inner demons (lies and denial). As I said, the beginning of the game is the point at which the protagonist is, actually, pretty close to getting better. So, everything you do leads to him getting better, and he gets there because he was chasing this goal of riding the rollercoaster to dark truth. Even though it was wrong to fight the Dark Thing, this is why I still see the protagonist as a warrior on a hero’s journey.

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

DCast - 10 June 2021 12:53 AM

Same goes for defeatist attitude - as Stranger, you get to die many many times, and in many many ways, and in some cases he says something along the lines of “I’m done with it” to paraphrase it. It’s just that you get stuck in a loop of consistent resurrection, so you have no choice but to come back, but if that wasn’t the case - there were plenty of moments Stranger attempted to take himself out of the situation. As a matter of fact, the whole game is a battle with that defeatist attitude, and he loses in more cases than he wins.

Honestly, I don’t remember any moment when the Stranger wanted to take himself out of the situation (if you mean suicide), nor that he ever said anything along such lines. He did say something along the lines of: “Ouch, that hurt!”, but I don’t remember him talking about giving up. Perhaps I’m wrong, though.

As for dying, I don’t see that as a part of defeatist attitude, on the contrary. He keeps “dying”, but he comes back every time. I mean, the very fact that he gets ressurected, in the world created in his mind, speaks of resilience. The rules in this setting are all manifestations of the Stranger’s mental state. If he did have a defeatist attitude, then he wouldn’t have been resurrected. In fact, if he did have a defeatist attitude, he wouldn’t have been able to even reach the ending point.

As for the humor, I was talking about the jokes that were inserted in the game purely for entertainment purposes. The first such joke that now comes to my mind, occurs after initially “defeating” the black dog. You walk past him, and then you see the sign: “Beware of dog!” The protagonist then says something along the lines of: “Now you’re telling me!”. To me, that was funny. And, there are many such jokes in this game. Baron_Blubba mentioned another one:

Baron_Blubba - 10 June 2021 01:08 PM

I loved it when you looked into the object marked ‘abyss’ and say ‘I don’t think it’s looking back.’

I am not a native English speaker, so now I am thinking that the word “humor” maybe wasn’t appropriate in this context? (It would have been in my language, though.) Certainly, I don’t think that the story itself is funny, or that the characters’ fates and stories are funny, nor would I label Strangeland as a comedy game, far from it. Still, with many such (good!) jokes in it, I’d say the game was pretty funny to me. Honestly, maybe I exaggarated slightly with “lots of humor”, I should have probably said “lots of jokes”.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

@Bon

You know, I see where you coming from. It’s just personally - I have very different connotations with the words warrior. Warrior to me is the someone who charges forward, someone who doesn’t quit, someone who goes first, someone who fights (almost constantly). Stranger, on the other hand, spent so much time in the trenches, building all of this darkness inside of him, all these walls and self-made obstacles, and he spent majority of the time not fighting that I wouldn’t use the word warrior to describe him, more like survivor who had what it takes to make the final push (and that is IF you went for a good ending). I wouldn’t call someone like that warrior, but again - those are my personal connotations with the word.

Ultimately though, it’s up to a player to make him warrior/survivor or not. You also have the option to make him very defeatist and lose in the end, indeed. So it’s up to us to decide. On my first attempt, I died fighting, for example.  Content

EDIT: Resignation also have negative connotations for me. You usually resign to something when you no longer willing to (or simply can’t) fight it. It’s a passive reaction to something you underestimated. Acceptance on the other hand - that has a positive meaning. Accepting something can be an active choice, and a powerful one at that (versus resign to something). I can 100% confirm my Stranger didn’t resign to anything. 

@BB

The starfish puzzle was actually one of the most impactful for me. I liked that there were kind of free associations, and only one particular choice would lead to it get angry each time more and more. I also liked seeing it after, with a torch. It had such strong pose, like it was captured in the middle of wrath - almost like it refused to give up, even after it was over.
I also generally had a problem with not being nice to everyone I’ve met, hence I wrote that the hero came out a bit arrogant to me. I generally think along the same lines you did - he needed to destroy those concepts in order to move on, but if the final goal was to embrace the darkness, then why couldn’t we start with embracing smaller things that comprise it? We ended up fighting everything and everyone just to “accept” things? Not sure that’s how I would go about untangling this ball of yarn, personally.

In case of starfish, I suppose, it was symbolical to releasing the anger instead of holding it in, and it makes sense. But since this anger was presented like a separate entity, rather than a part of him (this whole universe was, really) - it was more difficult to fight the concept we were just barely introduced to, without any background, so it made me quite sad. So goes for many others we meet. You meet a creature, the hero asks “What is this thing” all full of almost-disgust, then we are forced to defeat it almost right away, and then we left with a feeling that it was symbolical for some or the other internal issue, so this order of business just didn’t make it very satisfying.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top