• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #8: Counterfeit Monkey

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>look up dental consonants limited
Dental Consonants Limited is the largest and most successful linguistic engineering firm on the island, directly employing 15,000 people — 8% of the citizens of Anglophone Atlantis or 18% of the workforce. Thanks to its overwhelming significance to the local economy, DCL enjoys significant privileges in terms of support for its espionage policies. DCL builds a wide variety of machines for linguistic efficacy, but its most publicized efforts are in the area of letter-insertion. The company was originally formed to work on T, D, and N-insertion.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Did you miss this?

Cicerone53 - 19 March 2021 06:31 AM

>wave S remover at pans

One last thing before moving on to the Counterfeit Monkey! -

>x backpack
>open backpack

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oops! I missed your post, Cicerone.

>wave s-remover at pans
We reset the device to s. There is a flash of cerulean light, and the pans turn into a pan. An omelet-sized skillet in cast iron.

>x full pack
The flag of Canada is sewn on the back.

>open it
We open the heavy pack, revealing an assortment of very short shorts, a broomstick skirt, flip-flops, bikini bottoms, various t-shirts, an anorak, a fat guidebook to Europe, a cheap camera, and a box of tampons.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A little recap now that we’ve achieved two of our current goals. I’ll also repost the map. 

>goals
Here’s what we think we need to do:
  Meet your colleague Slango at Counterfeit Monkey

[Remember that you can move towards your goal locations with GO TO…]

>i
We are equipped with the following essentials: a backpack, a flash drive, a monocle, a pan (really the smuggled plans in disguise), a roll, your S-remover, and a tub of restoration gel.

We are also carrying an apple, an arm, a clock, Guidebook to Anglophone Atlantis, a jotter, a letter, some members, and a pearl.

The flash drive is in the backpack, which is gaping wide open so everyone can see what’s inside.

>score
You have earned 14 points:
  1 point for using the letter-remover
  3 points for passing through the temporary barrier
  3 points for winning the gel
  3 points for retrieving the backpack
  1 point for using the gel
  3 points for opening the locker

You have not yet removed a, b, c, d, f, g, i, j, k, n, o, p, q, t, v, or z from anything.

The achievements you have accomplished so far include:

Finished tutorial mode

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Do we go straight for the Counterfeit Monkey or do we explore north of the park first?
My tendency is always on exploration first… Innocent

> down
> w
> n

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Monumental Staircase
Once, the central hillock of the city was a fortified enclave, protected from the harbor and the peasant town by great walls. Now, however, the walls are mostly gone, except for a little spur that runs north from here. The walkways and tower are open to the public.

Meanwhile a staircase as wide as a street descends east from the town square toward the harbor.

An enormous blue and orange warning poster covers the wall alongside the staircase.

We can go north, south to Heritage Corner, southwest to Fair, east, and west to Park Center from here.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I say we keep heading to the “Monkey”, no doubt we can explore in other directions later. Any objections?

(also I wonder if we’re on a timer here. Didn’t we have 8 hours to get out of here?)

>x clock
>x poster
>e

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It doesn’t matter if anybody objects or not. You’ll see. Smile

>x clock
It appears to be one of those archetypal alarm clocks that crows at sunrise and generally makes a nuisance of itself. It shows the time to be about half past ten.

>x poster
“WARNING: Have you seen these dangerous individuals? If so, avoid contact and report all interactions to the Bureau of Orthography.” Below, there’s a picture of several people. One of them is you, before your face got shuffled with mine. It’s funny that when we met, you mentioned you were a user of illegally modified language-tools, but you didn’t emphasize the grand larceny side so much.

Not to worry. I won’t turn you in. I can hardly afford to, can I?

>e

High Street, early afternoon

Hustle, bustle, dirt; ugly American chain shops; lots and lots of people. There seems to be a large organized protest in progress: protesters completely cram the sidewalk to the southeast.

The curb is lined with garbage.

To the west, the street turns into a monumental staircase leading to the old fortified area; a cross street heads southeast towards the main roundabout.

From a loudspeaker nearby comes the electronic sound of simulated bells ringing the hour after noon. It’s later than I thought. We’d better get a move on.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>x protesters
>wave b-remover at garbage

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Nice work!

Can we continuously wear the monocle in order to automatically see any alterations made to objects we examine?

>wear monocle

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The game immediately answered your question about time. Smile

>x protesters
Hundreds of people pack the sidewalk, wearing slogans and carrying angry signs.

You have a fleeting thought of your crew’s heroism.

>remember crew’s heroism
Galley

The scene is the kitchen aboard Slango’s yacht: smaller than the kitchen in a comfortable house, but carefully and elegantly fitted. Brock and Slango were standing around, Slango with a lemonade and Brock with a chilled vodka.

The fourth person on the scene was Rivka Coutinho, a prisoner you’d sprung from Atlantean custody. She’d been caught running an illicit Hebrew school while nominally a visiting foreign employee of DCL.

“To not being in Cold Storage,” said Rivka, lifting her own glass. She swallowed and her eyes watered a little.

Rivka had spent the previous seventeen years as an inanimate object in a Bureau warehouse.

“You’ll be with them soon,” Brock said. “But I took these for you.” Silently he passed across the table glossy prints of Rivka’s daughter and granddaughter — a child she had never met.

Then we’re back in the present.

>wave b-remover at garbage
We reset the device to b. There is a daffodil-yellow cloud, and the garbage turns into a garage. It is a small but well-furnished garage for minor tuneups and repairs. It even comes with a mechanic: a surprising touch, since letter-removers are usually legally prevented from creating living persons, but sometimes there are glitches if the people are not created directly. Alas, however, it doesn’t come with a car in residence.

The mechanic nods at us.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wear monocle
Everything turns computer-monitor green when viewed through our right eye. And staring fixedly at anything will turn up its authenticity status.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 19 March 2021 10:11 AM

I know!  Laughing
Although I’m still in the dark whether each move takes time or it’s just noon because we arrived at High St.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

>l

>wave g-remover at signs

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 19 March 2021 10:16 AM
Karlok - 19 March 2021 10:11 AM

I know!  Laughing
Although I’m still in the dark whether each move takes time or it’s just noon because we arrived at High St.

When we started it was noon. Now it’s early afternoon. The clock you wanted to look at is your lock. (It’s currently late afternoon for me in my own playthrough.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top