• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Remaking flawed games

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

You know some games from the past which had potential but were ruined by one or two really frustrating things? I would like to see more remakes of flawed games, ones that had great potential but were heavily criticized for their graphics, bad interface, pixel-hunting and dead-ends.

Remakes I would like to see:
Future Wars could be interesting if they got rid of the tiny objects and dead ends. The story was really interesting but those two things killed it for me. Shadow of the Comet frustrated me with a lot of things (mainly the interface and time-limits) and would benefit from a rethink. Another two which are more hybrid adventures are Neuromancer and B.A.T. I loved them but found the interface and CGA unfriendly - Imagine what they could with them now!

I would really like to see modern Maniac Mansion and Zack McKracken remakes, because I have yet to finish either game. (I know there’s already a MM fan remake but it’s still ugly and no speech). The graphics weren’t great to begin with and they could be done more in the style of The Cave, which looks great. The dead ends and maze (Zak) could be removed and speech and more dialogue would add personality to an already great premise.

I think some games could really be improved with advanced technology and graphics: Imagine exploring the Titanic in real-time in Titanic: Adventure out of Time or the pyramids in Riddle of the Sphinx. Bureau 13 could be amazing with a 3rd person camera used in Dreamfall.

What would you like to see? Grin

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Absolutely agree. Future Wars was a game I’ve never beaten for it horrible dead ends and unforgiving designs. BAT though is my favorite unforgiving game. Why? It was so unique, just like Rise of the Dragon and that lovecraftian game ‘Daughter of the Serpents’.

These mentioned IP’s I was considering buying when the time was right. There are way too many games that were way ahead of their time.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Veil of Darkness!
Well, if a remake would manage to retain its glorious atmosphere, that is. Which would be difficult. Its writing was abysmal, the fighting mechanics and the occasional dull dungeon map layouts weren’t any good either. But still…the atmosphere!

Oh, and The Journeyman Project 3 in full 3D! It just didn’t age well technically with its node-based navigation and pre-rendered graphics.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Most of all SIerra’s Games that Came out before ‘91
but Specially:-
LSL Goes Looking for Love
The Vengeance
Sins of the Fathers Edit (its ‘93 :i wish to play it with Voice acting)
Manhunter NY,SF (with a total new representation and interface)
ICEMAN
The Perils of Rosella
The Pirates of Pestulon (i heard of a fan remake that never was finished i guess)
LM Search for the King

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

ozzie - 07 February 2013 01:38 AM

Oh, and The Journeyman Project 3 in full 3D! It just didn’t age well technically with its node-based navigation and pre-rendered graphics.

Hey, who knows, it could happen. Fingers crossed….but the Journeyman Project really wasn’t a flawed series. Just like practically all games, it just aged. Technically this thread is about royally flawed games that could of been ground breaking, but underestimated the depth of work it would take to make it….and most of the time should of waited post 90’s.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Monolith - 07 February 2013 03:23 AM

Hey, who knows, it could happen. Fingers crossed….but the Journeyman Project really wasn’t a flawed series. Just like practically all games, it just aged. Technically this thread is about royally flawed games that could of been ground breaking, but underestimated the depth of work it would take to make it….and most of the time should of waited post 90’s.

Fair enough, though I didn’t play Journeyman Project 3 back in the day, but just recently. And I was a bit shocked when I found out that it was released in the same year as Grim Fandango, since in comparison it looks even more dated.
I do think it’s the kind of game that was made before technology was ripe for it. But save for the technical limitations that were simply unavoidably imposed on the design of the game, it’s still really good.

Veil of Darkness, on the other hand…well, I really liked it the first time around, but back then my grasp of the English language was very limited, so when I came back to it a few years later the horrendous writing simply put me off. Which is a shame, because there’s a lot of great stuff in there, and it’s one of the most atmospheric games I ever played. Only Azrael’s Tear may be able to beat it in that regard.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Veil of Darkness!
Well, if a remake would manage to retain its glorious atmosphere, that is. Which would be difficult. Its writing was abysmal, and the fighting mechanics and the occasional dull dungeon map layouts weren’t any good either. But still…the atmosphere!

Veil of Darkness absolutely! I played it long ago and can’t remember if I actually finished it or not but the game had lots of flaws. Intriguing game. You’re right about the atmosphere, I wouldn’t want that to be lost in any remake.

Your post made me think of another game by Microprose, Bloodnet which could have been an awesome cyberpunk adventure/RPG hybrid but certain parts were terrible, namely the cyberspace and the combat.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Thinking about it: the German adventure game Die Höhlenwelt Saga also deserves a remake. I remember salivating over screenshots of the game that were printed in magazines and advertisements, they made me long to explore this world. But when I played it…what a disappointment! The writing, specifically the corny, inappropriate humor, destroyed any atmosphere that would try to seep in, as did the music that consisted of awful sterile synthesizer sounds. Still, I think it would be possible to save the game simply be rewriting every line in the script and replacing the music. The rest seemed to be pretty solid. Ah well…I try to hold on to these dreams of awesome games that could have been. If I come around one day to create my own amateur adventure game, I might take inspiration from them.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I would love it if Monkey Island 4 got remade in the style of Monkey Island 3 - and at the same time Tales of Monkey Island got obliterated from existence.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 07 February 2013 08:33 AM

I would love it if Monkey Island 4 got remade in the style of Monkey Island 3 - and at the same time Tales of Monkey Island got obliterated from existence.

Nah… I would prefer ToMI in MI3 style and MI4 get obliterated instead….

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’d prefer ToMI AND EfMI remade in the style of CoMI. The special editions should’ve been given a CoMI overhaul aswell.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

MI4 isn’t flawed.. it just isn’t very good. I quite like the graphics style.

One I’d really like to see remade is Infrogrames’ Time Gate: Knight’s Chase. The game had some incredibly frustrating moments. Anyone who’s played it will no doubt remember the lasers. Those god damn lasers! You had to crawl around on the floor avoiding these moving laser beams. The chunky graphics and awful controls made this near-impossible and I gave up after my 30+ tries. Pan

The game has been parodied many times, some of them being quite amusing but I don’t think it’s such a terrible game. Unlike Alone in the Dark there was minimal combat and the historical setting could be very interesting if made more detailed with lots to read.

Another one I want to see is Rome: Pathway to Power. It was groundbreaking for its time with open-world gameplay but the interface and some time-based problem solving made me give up on it after a few hours. With modern graphics and a few fixes they could turn this one into a great game.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

The one I’d most like to see is The Forgotten: It Begins expanded into a series as it was supposed to be, or at least made into a more complete standalone story. I really like the premise and the setup, but there’s really little more to it in its actual form - just as the plot looks like it’s about to heat up, the game ends, and almost every interesting question that was raised goes unanswered. Even for a serial as it was planned, it’s pretty short, but I think it had a lot of potential.

I don’t think we’re ever going to see this happen with this particular game because of the intellectual property disputes over it, but since we’re fantasizing, that would be at the top of my list.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-04-17

PM

All sixteen Sam and Max episodes remade with 2D sprites, Sam and Max Hit the Road style.

Oh, and Sam and Max are given their original voice actors instead.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I would be keen on seeing a remake of Larry 2 and 3. I know we are getting a remake of LSL1, but I consider 2 and 3 being the best in the Larry series (would be keen to see those games remade with more “mature” graphics, rather than the cartoon style graphics of the new remake).

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

LOOM! I’d love to see the whole planned trilogy in one game, giving it a decent length. And no cut out text, no cut voices, music background, all cinematics. LucasAr… I mean Disney, could do like they did with MI. By my sake they can name it “Remastered Special Edition Extended Director’s Cut”!

The Moment of Silence - streamlined gameplay would turn it to real classic it deserves to be.

Not exactly “remakes” of existing games, but “Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans” and “Project Joe” are projects i’d like to see revived.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top