• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

giom - 29 September 2020 08:41 PM

Oh by the way, if anyone is using a mac and got the gog release, it’s possible to extract the scummvm files directly from the exe file available on gog without running a windows VM by using “innoextract”. It’s a software installable through homebrew… The files from gog are directly compatible with scummvm and include the latest patch so it’s rather convenient. I don’t really understand why they don’t just pack it for macs since it’s crossplatform…

Thank you for this information, Giom.  I’ll tuck it away for the next time I play, although the discs have been working just fine except for having to switch them after leaving the lighthouse.

Doom,
Thanks for the link to the screenshots.  They may come in handy for me.

rtrooney - 29 September 2020 06:35 PM
Lady Kestrel - 29 September 2020 03:35 PM

I did mean stop after you got through the portal, but there’s no harm done because at the time I was thinking you could see the tower from that point.

Sorry. But you can’t see the Tower from that point. Which puts me in an interesting position. I’ve wandered around, and now can’t seem to find my way back to the portal. I’m sure I will find my way, but I should have drawn a map and/or used compass notations.

Yes, I had forgotten that the tower wasn’t visible at the portal.  If you’ve already explored, you can go to the tower but don’t go in.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 September 2020 12:05 AM

Yes, I had forgotten that the tower wasn’t visible at the portal.  If you’ve already explored, you can go to the tower but don’t go in.

Basically the Tower IS visible from that spot, but you need to turn 180 degrees and go BEHIND the portal.  Grin Grin Grin

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

giom - 29 September 2020 08:41 PM

The lack of labels in the inventory and the not so great highlighting of the cursor is rather annoying though (it’s really hard to see the difference on the cursor)

Good point. There are a few things in the inventory that I couldn’t identify at all. For instance I had no idea what the soldering iron was until I used it, more or less by chance, on the wire in the machine.

Also agree on the cursor highlighting thing. I’m not that bothered if the cursor doesn’t highlight (although it’s something we’re all been used to and would be considered standard for years now) but if it doesn’t highlight well enough to see… well either do it properly or don’t!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Intense Degree - 30 September 2020 04:57 AM

Good point. There are a few things in the inventory that I couldn’t identify at all. For instance I had no idea what the soldering iron was until I used it, more or less by chance, on the wire in the machine.

I had the same with the letter opener. I somehow thought it was a brush.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

giom - 30 September 2020 06:08 AM

I had the same with the letter opener. I somehow thought it was a brush.

I thought that was a nail file or something… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 29 September 2020 08:57 PM
rtrooney - 29 September 2020 02:17 PM

haven’t found the last one yet. If anyone has run across it, an approximate location would be appreciated.

At the furthest end of the wooden pier.

The item at the pier is the wine bottle. Still looking for the metallic item.

The in-game hint system says it looks like a club, but acts like a key.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 30 September 2020 03:17 PM

The item at the pier is the wine bottle. Still looking for the metallic item.

The in-game hint system says it looks like a club, but acts like a key.

Walk ON the wooden pier. As in move ON the wooden planks that consist the wooden pier. Don’t just stand on the beach! You can’t miss it.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not sure if the game is faulty, or if I’m not remembering how sensitive the cursor positioning is. Like in the upper level of the lighthouse. When you want to go back down the ladder, the cursor must be positioned precisely or the down arrow won’t show. I have been to the pier several times and I never saw a right arrow until this time. And, because I never saw the right arrow, I never saw the stairs.

Thanks much.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve reached the stopping point, having to walk around a bit on the beach before seeing the tower.

rtrooney - 25 September 2020 07:13 PM

Also surprising is the size of the display. It probably filled the screen when I was playing with a 10-or-12” CRT. but it seems tiny on a 26” flat screen.

If playing with ScummVM, there’s no reason to have the interface only cover a tiny portion of your display. Select “Fit to window” under Stretch mode in the graphics settings.

TimovieMan - 27 September 2020 04:08 PM

Since I just witnessed that scene, I’m actually curious what path that leads to.

I’m also curious about this. The paths probably reconvene after a while though.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Pegbiter - 30 September 2020 07:57 PM
rtrooney - 25 September 2020 07:13 PM

Also surprising is the size of the display. It probably filled the screen when I was playing with a 10-or-12” CRT. but it seems tiny on a 26” flat screen.

If playing with ScummVM, there’s no reason to have the interface only cover a tiny portion of your display. Select “Fit to window” under Stretch mode in the graphics settings.

True, but would that not make the image even grainier than it already is? Hardly a visual improvement.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Regarding cursor positioning, if memory serves, we will run across what is almost a timed puzzle once we enter the tower.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since the majority of us have reached the stopping point, I’m going to move the start of the second section up a day.  I’ll post our goals and stopping points tomorrow (Thursday). 

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m really curious which route you will have us follow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

rtrooney - 30 September 2020 08:28 PM

True, but would that not make the image even grainier than it already is? Hardly a visual improvement.

Definitely not a visual improvement, but it makes finding the hot-spots much easier. I actually don’t think it looks that bad by the way, even though I’m stretching the interface to cover most of my 43″ display.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 September 2020 09:22 PM

Since the majority of us have reached the stopping point, I’m going to move the start of the second section up a day.  I’ll post our goals and stopping points tomorrow (Thursday).

Cool. I can’t even remember if I got this far the first time I played so I’m hoping that the next section won’t put me off as the first section wasn’t bad at all.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top