• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I have a serious problem. I can’t hear Lily. As the game has no subtitles, a friend of mine made a patch to rewrite some files from the English version using the Spanish version. Everything was working fine until I got to the temple and tried to talk to Lily. It doesn’t work, Lily won’t talk. I tried copying my savegames folder to the English version and loading from there, but it doesn’t work either.

So I guess I will have to restart the game from the beginning and play it with the English version until I get to the temple again and pray…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

walas74 - 08 October 2020 01:22 AM

Well, I have a serious problem. I can’t hear Lily.

Do you mean Lyril?
Seems to me that not hearing Lyril was a problem with the old Windows 98 version of the game, so not a modern problem with a 1990’s game.
Maybe check out an old patch or a YouTube playthrough like this one for what Lyril says (which as I remember was not much and had no clues for solving puzzles).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL241CB5AC2ABB5623

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 07 October 2020 07:07 PM
Lady Kestrel - 07 October 2020 06:38 PM

When you get back from the lighthouse, you can call the flying machine with your whistle and go back to the temple to get it.  You also can get the coordinates for the volcano in the lower area, if you don’t already have them.

Got the coordinates. While I’m at it, four of the parts I found in the lower area fit together. Two Liryl said, were part of the device, but don’t seem to fit with the other assembled parts. One, the circuit board, she doesn’t recognize. I’ve got to be missing something.

Why is it that safes and combination locks never work in games the way they do in real life?

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

crabapple - 08 October 2020 01:37 AM
walas74 - 08 October 2020 01:22 AM

Well, I have a serious problem. I can’t hear Lily.

Do you mean Lyril?
Seems to me that not hearing Lyril was a problem with the old Windows 98 version of the game, so not a modern problem with a 1990’s game.
Maybe check out an old patch or a YouTube playthrough like this one for what Lyril says (which as I remember was not much and had no clues for solving puzzles).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL241CB5AC2ABB5623

Thanks, but I prefer to restart the game using the GOG version as I might encounter future problems because I overwrote GOG files with and old Spanish version of the game.

And yes, I meant Liryl.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m not at the stopping point yet, at least I don’t think so? Like Doom above I though that after the temple we were going straight back to Martin’s Roost, but there was no stop, so I guess we were meant to go back to the lighthouse first?

I had a bit of a nightmare in the temple section. All started well, but then I somehow got fixated on the lift controls in the middle room. The problem was I convinced myself that they made Lyril appear in the rooms either side and I spent ages trying to work out how to get her to appear in the right hand room. It was only when I got poor old birdie with the magnet that Lyril said something like ‘now you can use the lift…’ and the penny dropped! Boy do I feel silly. Wink

I think Lyril is a good character. Somehow she feels slightly spielbergish to my mind, but there is a line between tragedy, sadness and hope with her that seemed surprisingly delicately trodden to me. It was nice to get some history and also nice to hear a voice!

I’m still not quite sure why the machine in the right hand room has eyes, but the thing you get out of it reminded me of a laserdisc!. Yesterday’s future today!

The machine upstairs nearly broke me! I spent ages trying to figure out what each switch/lever/button did and it took me a while to realise that some of them didn’t do anything at all despite making a *click*. I got distracted by the incomprehensible inventory items collected in the basement, and also by the ‘ask Lyril’ function, where you could click on her and get a question mark which you could then use on various parts of the machine for an explanation.

That was the one time that the interface has annoyed me, ‘asking Lyril’ was far too clunky and frustrating for me. I can put up with the slideshow movement and occasionally missing arrows etc. but for some reason that one just annoyed me.

Anyway, to be honest I couldn’t tell you exactly how I solved that puzzle now. I know what the steps are, but whether they needed to be in some sort of order, whether some sliders didn’t do anything, or I just got lucky… who knows.

Despite the frustrations I did like the temple section and it was satisfying to complete.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, but I prefer to restart the game using the GOG version as I might encounter future problems because I overwrote GOG files with and old Spanish version of the game.

That’s a shame, Walas.  At least you know what to do now.  I lost sound when I reloaded a save one time in the temple.  The garlic-shaped contraption in the right room had no sound and there was no music, but a reload fixed it for me.

By the way, Crabapple has the spelling right for the girl’s name.  It’s Lyril, not Liryl.  I put the “y” in the wrong spot.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now arrived back at Martin’s Roost after calling into the lighthouse to complete the puzzle box which seemed the obvious thing to do after talking to Lyril. I had jotted down the sequence of shapes but it still was a matter of trial & error before it could be applied.
This, for me, seems in keeping with most of the puzzles so far, which I’ve found for the most part unintuitive & relying too much on ‘fiddling around’ to solve. I also picked up the last power modulator.

I hated most of the temple section with only the info gleaned from talking to Lyril providing any interest although even that was a chore in itself!  I did give her both sets of shells & the nuts & bolts - apart from gaining her trust which seems could have been achieved by just trapping the birdman? & yes that was fun!, it would have been nice to have seen what she made out of them!

I didn’t find the flower bud puzzle very inspiring & just seemed to be another puzzle with little rhyme or reason as how to proceed or what exactly you were supposed to do with the CD as it wasn’t obvious to me where it could be used or perhaps I should have asked Lyril?

The most infuriating puzzle of all though, not just for me it seems, was getting the ‘teleportal’ machine to work.
Looking at machinery like that with lever, dials, buttons, monitors etc just makes me glaze over & I was pulling my hair out even after resorting to following a walkthrough. I had tried asking Lyril a couple of times but obviously about the wrong things as she wasn’t helpful.
I did eventually get to activate the machine after several attempts & realising that I had to connect a wire on the other side of the room.
Also I realised that not all steps or a precise order were necessary.

I did go back & replay the whole temple section & wish I’d spent a little more time on the ‘teleportal’ machine to start with as I did enjoy it the second time around & ended up thinking it was one of the more interesting puzzles of the game so far.

I did manage to put some inventory items together - Lyril did help with identifying a few items but I can’t remember whether it was those & I haven’t a clue yet what I’m building!
I know that you should be able to call the batplane with the pipes - I’ve tried but where do I use the pipes please? 

Despite finding some of the gameplay tedious & the puzzles baffling I’m looking forward to unravelling more of the story.

I wasn’t sure where to stop so I’ve just gone down into the underground to wait instructions. 
Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

When I played the game the first time, I was able to recover the lever from the birdman after using the electro-magnet.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Good news! I reached the temple in my replay and Lyril is talking to me! Now I just have to understand what he/she says without subtitles…

I will continue tomorrow.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to restore a game. Unfortunately it will take me be back to the pre-Lyril conversations, but I think it will be worth it. While I think there is an extra bulb for circumstances such as these, I’m not going to risk it. Glad I’ve got til Monday to get through this part. Not looking forward to the box puzzle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I am back in the lighthouse after speaking to Lirel and teleporting from the temple’s machine but I am stuck on that infernal cube puzzle in the lighthouse.

Can someone give me a hint how I can solve the face with the 2 fish on it, where you have to press on some tiles? There are green and blue and brownish looking tiles on it and two fish that you can’t press Please don’t give me the answer, just a hint. 

Really loved activating the machine in the tower. That was a really satisfying puzzle to crack. Also, I don’t know how many of you burnt the top part of the machine. You can combine some stuff to make a replacement part. What makes this section so challenging is the insane amount of knobs and levers, without any clear labels. Just used lots of trial and error to see what each one did. Felt like a boss when I conjured up that portal Grin.

Edit: I looked up a walkthrough and figured out the cube puzzle. The mistake I was making was:I did try to click on all the same color tiles in the two fish cube puzzle, but I thought that was sufficient by itself. What I didn’t know was that you have to click on one of the two fish afterwards. I was thrown off because the fish looked like solid steel, and they did not seem movable. It would have been nice if there was some kind of cue(like a click sound or the fish popping up or something like that) when you click on the right combination of tiles.

I did finish the cube puzzles and got the item inside. To be frank, I wasn’t fond of its puzzles because most of them seemed like you randomly click on things, and it did not really test our intelligence or problem solving skills.

Anyway, I am back now at the tower, and waiting for the next stage of the playthrough. Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It made me laugh that I had actually solved the portal machine a couple of times but, like Sefir mentioned, there wasn’t any sound to indicate success.  Also, using the big lever wasn’t really necessary to move the gauge arrow up.  I just let it drift up where it stopped automatically in the right place.

Despite Lyril’s stuttering speech, I thought her character was sympathetic, especially when I learned her story. The information she gave was well done, too.  I liked that it was revealed in layers that pealed back a little at a time until the whole picture appeared.  Her speech before I stepped through the portal made me think that there might be hope for her and her world.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve managed to replay everything, and saved a game before I started the portal puzzle. It is infuriating, but no more so that finding out the diagram I missed was a faded piece of paper, stuck to a wall that was, for all intents and purposes, invisible to the average eye.

So I’ve got two days to solve this and the box puzzle before Monday. It doesn’t look good.

I am very upset that, with her approval, I will be leaving Lyril behind with a repaired big bird behind as her companion for eternity.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

After much trial and tribulation, I’m back at the library where the dreaded puzzle box awaits. (I don’t know what happened, but I used the switch below the crosshairs screen, and the ambient sound reduced in volume. So I increased the power with the lever next to the power gauge and hit the switch again just before going red. Ambient sound increased dramatically. Turned around and literally saw the light.) I’m not sure I even remember how far I got during the first box puzzle pass. Judging from the spoiler comments I’ve seen, a WT may be in order to preserve the white ones that still live atop my head.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 October 2020 06:38 PM

When you get back from the lighthouse, you can call the flying machine with your whistle and go back to the temple to get it.  You also can get the coordinates for the volcano in the lower area, if you don’t already have them.

I just read something in the walkthrough. I’ll post it just in case somebody ends up in the same predicament I did. When you arrive at the upper level the elevator mechanism is “locked.” If you’ve missed an inventory item, go to the the console screen with four monitors. I don’t know which one, but one of the levers on that screen will unlock the elevator so you can go back down to retrieve it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top