• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDalefurgottenIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last Adventure that got you REALLY hooked !!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The Walking Dead, perhaps?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-09-06

PM

Well, the last adventure that got me hooked was Journey, which I played when it was released. The reasons for this is because, one, it is an awesome game, certainly one of the best PS3 games out there, and two, it’s rather short and simple. That’s probably it’s only fault if you could call it that. But I was too busy looking at it and caring about the characters in the game to think about how long it was or how hard it was. Like when they’re out in the snow, and they are on their absolute last legs, and their cloaks aren’t glowing brightly enough, and then they die. But then, in the next level, they come back, and their cloaks are glowing brighter than ever, and they’re flying high in the sky, and then they fly so high that they turn into some kind of weirdo alien language symbol. It made me cry.

Now I’m currently replaying Deponia, The Dream Machine, and still in the midst of figuring out Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery.

Here Lies Guybrush Threepwood.
Why didn’t you buy his fine leather jackets?

—The epitaph that won me a free Telltale Game.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

The Walking Dead had me anticipating each new episode like I would a good TV show, but even though I loved it, it didn’t ignite my imagination in the way other great adventures have in the past.

When I first played The Longest Journey and Syberia for example, I found their worlds so fascinating that I would constantly think about them when I wasn’t playing. The different locations, the strange little details, the back story etc.

A part of me thinks that fantastical games are what the genre does best. As much as I love the more grounded, noir/mystery/horror/survival stuff, and I really do love it, those types of games don’t seem to stick with me as much as the world-building fantasy/sci-fi stuff (when it’s done well).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

mbday630 - 01 February 2013 06:43 PM

okay. I give up. What game is TWD?

Kasper F. Nielsen - 01 February 2013 06:52 PM

The Walking Dead, perhaps?

Yep.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The two last games that got me hooked to the point where i would skip meals, play long into the night, and think (or even dream) about the game when i wasn’t playing it was Dreamfall and Culpa Innata.

There are of course many other recent games, that have had me hooked, but not to the same extent.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

orient - 02 February 2013 12:50 AM

The Walking Dead had me anticipating each new episode like I would a good TV show, but even though I loved it, it didn’t ignite my imagination in the way other great adventures have in the past.

When I first played The Longest Journey and Syberia for example, I found their worlds so fascinating that I would constantly think about them when I wasn’t playing. The different locations, the strange little details, the back story etc.

A part of me thinks that fantastical games are what the genre does best. As much as I love the more grounded, noir/mystery/horror/survival stuff, and I really do love it, those types of games don’t seem to stick with me as much as the world-building fantasy/sci-fi stuff (when it’s done well).

See, for me, it was always the comedies. I always felt like comedy was something adventure did better than any other genre. I’d play stuff like Gabriel Knight or TLJ, but usually wouldn’t finish them, while stuff like Sam and Max, Space Quest, and DoTT would have me riveted.

That’s why I’m so glad we have some high profile comedies coming up.

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Though I’m sure I’ve been missing a lot of great adventure games out there, because there are many new games I’ve still to play (and by reading the posts here, I know I missed a lot for I never played Gabriel Knight!)

This said, a game I’ll never forget is Sanitarium by DreamForge.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

It has been quite awhile since a new game totally hooked me, so I kind of wasn’t expecting it when one did recently. I bought Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting mainly because I’d heard vague good things about it, and there was a snowstorm (appropriately enough) in the real-life weather forecast so I was expecting I’d be stuck home for the whole weekend, and I downloaded a few games in advance because I figured I’d need some extra things to do.

To my surprise, I found Corrosion really gripping. I couldn’t wait to uncover the next bit of plot, and I found myself thinking about it and pondering the story’s implications quite a bit even when I wasn’t playing and after I was done. I know not everyone liked Corrosion - and that’s cool, we all have different tastes - but for me it was quite engrossing.

Games that have hooked me in the past have been the Myst/Uru series, the Dark Fall series, Amerzone, Zork Grand Inquisitor and Nemesis, The Forgotten, Barrow Hill, Rhiannon, and The Lost Crown.

I judge being hooked on a game not by how much continuous time I spend playing (since that depends a lot more on my schedule than on how much I enjoy the game,) but rather on how much I feel engrossed when I’m playing and think about the setting, characters, or plot when I’m not at the computer.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-02-14

PM

The last one for me was The Walking Dead.  I am still thinking about that game!  To the Moon I finished in one power session.  It isn’t a long game but still I had to play it until it was done.

Games I played a long time ago The Longest Journey, and Syberia, two of my favorite games of all time.  More so The Longest Journey but Syberia was awesome.

I’d even put Machinarium on that list too.  It was in a different way than the others but I kept thinking about the puzzles and how to piece everything together.

Oh and how could I forget probably my favorite game of all time…Portal 2.  That game stuck with me for months.  I actually felt like I was in Aperture and when it was over I hated being out.  Like Jack from LOST wanted to go back! Smile

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

As a kid the only adventure games that did that for me were: The X-Files and Grim Fandango.

Now, being at an older age and and disposable time becoming a scarcity the only game that was able to do that for me in a long time was Gabriel Knight.

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Not only did I get hooked on The Walking Dead and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes last year, both were among my favourite games of the year.

There have been a few adventure games over the past few years that have really drawn me in: The Lost Crown, Gray Matter, Tales of Monkey Island, Back to the Future.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Every now and again I get the urge to play GK1 - it’s the perfect length to complete in 1 sitting (barring speaking to EVERYONE and avoiding parts of the game that you don’t need to do) but as mentioned, it’s the perfect length to kill an afternoon. Never gets old.

I wish there was a way to ‘forget’ everything I know about GK though. To go in with fresh eyes now would be superb, as I grew up playing this game and know it inside out.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

There are many games that have gotten me hooked to the point where I go to work really tired but I’d have to say that the most recent one was The Walking Dead. I remember that I played the first episode when it first came out and then realized that it was going to be torture to wait for the next episode. Therefore, I decided not to play any more until all the episodes had been released. Then I just sat down on one glorious Saturday and played through the whole thing with only bathroom and food breaks. It was so gripping for me. Eventually I’ll do another play through with different choices but I liked the Lee I created.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Advie - 31 January 2013 12:08 AM
GreyFuss - 30 January 2013 10:44 PM

Easy question for me..it was the last game I played. Loved the time playing, Thought about the game when I wasn’t playing and couldn’t wait to get back to it…ASA A Space Adventure

i really find it awesome as well…
i hope AG would support it with a great review and supports Simon himself with his 1st great work/achievement on ASA ...
for me i do think/consider him one of the nicest Developers (down to earth) around.

i would also consider ASA as a Success for the AG site ,which (if its for me) should honor him (and to be honored with such a talent within it’s members) and may exclusively present ASA with some special coverage plus an exclusive Interview with him .
(that i am sure it is something which Jackal already considering)

I had not read that yet ! Thanks a lot !
Since you wrote that, AG reviewed the game 4/5 and I’m very pleased !
And for only 6 euros, ASA is almost a gift ! Crazy

Unfortunately, ASA never met the success I expected. I’m almost sure that GOG refusal weighted on this. Even if I understand why, I’ve not even reached 150 sales in total yet, which is a big deception for me. I believe the game deserves more, even if it’s not the game of the year. On the other hand I can understand why people are afraid to buy such a game (made alone, strange graphics, too hard, technical problems…), and that’s one of the reasons why I chose the low price.

if i am not mistaken Simon had shared his progress with ASA here at the AG Community Activity before anywhere else and waaay before the Game’s publishing/release…

Yeah, that’s right. I shared the progress on my blog and on Steam Greenlight, but AG was the only forums where I shared the news during the developement.

Can not wait for a new Adventure form Simon Mesnard

I’m afraid I won’t be working on a new Adventure game for a while, which doesn’t mean I don’t want to (it’s a matter of possibilites and circumstances). If someday I can make a sequel to ASA or an all new Adventure Game, I will work on it with passion, and if possible in better conditions (not alone) ! But right now, I’m planning to make a very different project… still in the world of ASA ! Nerd

Thanks again and again to all of you who supported me and my game, and I hope you all had a lot of fun playing it !

————————————

Now about the real thread : the last Adventure that REALLY hooked me :

I thought I would say Virtue’s Last Reward, because I was waiting a lot from it, but in the end I’m very deceived (even if I’ve not finished it yet). The characters spend too much time talking of stupid things, and that breaks the rythm ! And why those “to be continued” endings ??? Always restarting with different choices is interesting, but here you’re forced to, until you know enough of the story !

So I’d say my last favourite adventures were Machinarium, followed by Botanicula ! They were not really difficult, but I liked the visuals and the worlds Amanita created in their games. There’s something very personnal/indie in these creations. Machinarium also had great musics !

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Simon_ASA - 19 February 2013 04:16 PM

Unfortunately, ASA never met the success I expected. I’m almost sure that GOG refusal weighted on this. Even if I understand why, I’ve not even reached 150 sales in total yet, which is a big deception for me.

Ah geez… I’m really sorry to hear you sold only 150 copies. I can’t imagine what it’s like for a developer, who puts his heart and soul, time and money into his game. But look on the bright side. Your game hasn’t been out long and sales may pick up later. And it’s not like ASA will be outdated next year. Adventures have a pretty good shelf life.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top