• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games which proved you wrong

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I thought this was the topic of the other thread from Capt Blondebeard, but rtrooney convinced me it’s not.

So. Which games were you totally sure were terrible or amazing and by the end of the game you changed your mind?

A recent one for me is Dark Nights with Poe and Munro. My initial thoughts: “Oh great.. here we go. They’ve decreased the amount of gameplay. Typical. These developers, always changing things, taking away our challenge. The gameplay was perfect in Contradiction and Doctor Dekker, it made you think. Now it’s just a choice-fest. Clicking a button to move the plot forward, what kind of challenge is that?”

By the end I was won over by the charm of the actors and witty dialogue, the branching paths, the minimalism.

Over to you.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The Antidote.

I thought it would be a bad attempt by some kids (as in first time developers) to fool around with AGS, but I decided to buy it anyway because the screenshots looked so unique from all other adventure games.

And I was very positively surprised. Sure, the game has many problems. But ultimately it is a good and shameless oldschool adventure, where some puzzles are challenging even to those who are familiar with old adventure games.

What is great about the game is how they have gone completely weird in their game design, and that’s a very good thing. For instance, you can talk to all inventory items in the game, and most inventory items talk back!

And this game even managed to be a surprise find for me. I periodically check on AGS site to see what games are being made, and I try to have them all, in other words thousands of games. But for some reason, these guys don’t have their game listed on AGS site, so seeing after the installation that the game actually had all those standard AGS setup files and all was already a big surprise in itself.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The only game I can think of from the top of my head at the moment is Larry Wet Dreams Don’t Dry. I was expecting it to be another travesty but found it to be a fun and well-made adventure from the getgo.

It might not be THE sequel Al Lowe would have done himself, but it is obvious there was more thought put into it than what you’d expect, especially when you consider the other games made without Al Lowe.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

A recent one for me is Dark Nights with Poe and Munro. My initial thoughts: “Oh great.. here we go. They’ve decreased the amount of gameplay. Typical. These developers, always changing things, taking away our challenge. The gameplay was perfect in Contradiction and Doctor Dekker, it made you think. Now it’s just a choice-fest. Clicking a button to move the plot forward, what kind of challenge is that?”

By the end I was won over by the charm of the actors and witty dialogue, the branching paths, the minimalism.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Not all reviews have been positive for this game.

I too started playing Larry - Wet Dreams Don’t Dry and didn’t think it would be very good. However, by the end of the game I really liked it and even replayed it again.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is it how we perceive the game after the initial couple of minutes, only to change out mind later on? Or the expectation even before starting the game?

If it’s the former, then The Longest Journey - it started casually, almost boring… and turned into a monster game. If it’s the latter, then The Whispered World 2… and many more.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I always like to give a game an hour of my time if I’m not immediately drawn into it. I do like a slow burner….well as long as it gets to burn eventually!

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars for me. I expected it to be a pretty cheap and small game that wouldn’t be anything too interesting, but it actually turned out to be decent. Enough different puzzles, largely predictable but nonetheless interesting story, okay character, okay graphics. Yeah, measured by what I expected that turned out much better than I thought it’d be. Not awesome, but my expectations were very low Wink

e: Whispers of a Machine would be a reverse candidate for me. I know a lot of people here like it, but it really fell flat for me. I expected something completely different and something I’d enjoy much more, but the investigation parts were far too small, the different branches didn’t interest me, and the backstory just annoyed me throughout.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I didn’t think I’d like Grim Fandango because of the box art.
I didn’t want to play as a rolled-up cardboard creature.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Two games I thought I would enjoy before I actually played them were Operation Stealth (a.k.a James Bond 007: The Stealth Affair) and Curse of Enchantia.

I first heard about Operation Stealth when it was reviewed in a computer magazine alongside Loom. As I recall it, they both received equally positive reviews. Come to think of it, that may have been the only time I heard about it. When I finally played it, I found the game pretty unimpressive, and it was just padded with annoying arcade sequences that added nothing to the experience. Quite the contrary. (I still like Loom, though.)

I didn’t know anything about Curse of Enchantia when I started playing it. It was just some title I had heard mentioned, often by people who spoke of it with fond nostalgia. The only positive thing I can say about it is that the graphics are pretty nice. Everything else I can remember about it was just terrible.

One game I didn’t expect to like was Alien Incident because I hadn’t heard anything at all about it. I’ve forgotten most of the story now, but I remember having quite fun while playing it.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

eriktorbjorn - 28 August 2020 05:46 AM

One game I didn’t expect to like was Alien Incident because I hadn’t heard anything at all about it. I’ve forgotten most of the story now, but I remember having quite fun while playing it.

Yes, that game is somewhat of a forgotten gem.

I actually wrote a review about it few months ago, but then it turned out that all my screenshots failed because of some weird bug, and I haven’t published it yet anywhere.

If I can find time to recapture images, and upload the review, I can post it here I guess.

Anyway, to give a small sample of what the game (and my review) is all about:

“Things can go only one way for our teenager protagonist Benjamin. It’s Halloween Eve, it’s bad weather and night time, and his uncle is one of those crazy inventors. It doesn’t come as a big surprise that a wormhole opens up, bringing space aliens from another galaxy causing, well, an incident. So obviously Ben(jamin) must save his uncle who by now is in the hands of those aliens, and somehow undo the events that have taken place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lots of the humour and comedy in the game consists of science fiction references, most of which is related to Star Wars. There is almost an excessive amount of Star Wars jokes, but even for people who know more obscure things, the game has something to offer. Whether it’s a subtle sentence in the dialogue that is related to the theory that alleged UFO abductions run in the family, or an item description that is referring to Star Wreck, the game has a lot to offer. And some things in the game are funny simply because of their bizarre nature, like the 24 hour antiques store.”

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

GateKeeper - 28 August 2020 10:29 AM

If I can find time to recapture images, and upload the review, I can post it here I guess.

I found the time. And it took only three months!  Thumbs Up

So for all of you who were desperately waiting to hear more about the game, the review is now online.

http://adventuredoor.net/reviews/alien-incident/

And I managed to get those stupid screenshots too this time.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 was that way for me. I read some reviews that just didn’t excite me for the game. But once I started playing it, I could not stop, the game was simply great fun. Simply beautiful graphics also, and lastly, very, very funny.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

even though not an adventure game, for me it was horizon zero dawn. I hated the first 5 to 10 hrs, but once the real plot kicked in the game came alive to me. I will still say however, that the game world and lore is a 1000 times more interesting than alloy or any of the other characters not named sylens. In fact I found alloy to be annoying 90 percent of the time. But like I said the gameplay was a lot of fun to me, and the lore was so good that I overlooked her.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

“horizon zero dawn“ does have a PC version, I wonder if you played that one. It’s supposed to be amazing. There is a sequel exclusive to the PS5 coming out next year.

Heart

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-11-03

PM

I really had a hard time getting into Beneath a Steel Sky. First time I was put off by the cynicism and the fact that you could die. Once I got stuck at the power plant, my patience ran out. It took me 2 years to gather enough courage to try again after I had seen it pop up in so many “top adventure games” lists. And now that I have completed it, I totally understand why it is in so many of those lists!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top