• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Popular games that were NOT good discussion

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lucien21 - 25 August 2020 02:52 AM

Myst sucks.

[...] and can be finished in less than 3 mins if you know what to do.

You really should play Outer Wilds. Tongue It can be finished in less than 15 minutes if you know what to do. But it will take you 15 hours to find out what you should do. Journey vs destination…

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 26 August 2020 05:17 AM

Myst sucks.

You really should play Outer Wilds. Tongue It can be finished in less than 15 minutes if you know what to do. But it will take you 15 hours to find out what you should do. Journey vs destination…

There are some great games that can be finished under 15 minutes even if you don’t know what to do.

One of the latest ones I have played is Bear in Venice. Cute little game.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2312/

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 26 August 2020 05:21 AM
Karlok - 26 August 2020 05:17 AM

Myst sucks.

There are some great games that can be finished under 15 minutes even if you don’t know what to do.

No journey, no destination.  Thumbs Up

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m curious to know whether those who thought Myst was “not good” also thought the same of Riven. Almost all the criticisms leveled at Myst were corrected in the sequel. (Even though it’s a matter of pure opinion that Myst has no story and pointless puzzles. I mean unless you skipped reading entirely the story is hard to miss. And I would understand - I mean I’ve been angry at a game for not being able to do the puzzles, and taken my toys and said “I’m going home”. There’s no shame in that.).

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

chrissie - 25 August 2020 03:41 PM
giom - 25 August 2020 10:37 AM

For A Golden Wake, I loved the first part of it with the real estate but then I grew to hate the character and I really hated the second part which kind of ruined the game for me.

I can’t remember too much about the game now but I’m sure that I liked the ending where the main character redeemed himself or have I remembered that wrongly? I do know that I liked the game despite negative reviews.

You do have a last minute redemption but it felt tacked on and in general, I don’t particularly like if the character I’m playing is someone I’d dislike.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

giom - 26 August 2020 10:40 AM

You do have a last minute redemption but it felt tacked on and in general, I don’t particularly like if the character I’m playing is someone I’d dislike.

That does spring Deponia games to mind. Many people like the series, I do not, as I find Rufus unbearable.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

giom - 26 August 2020 10:40 AM
chrissie - 25 August 2020 03:41 PM
giom - 25 August 2020 10:37 AM

For A Golden Wake, I loved the first part of it with the real estate but then I grew to hate the character and I really hated the second part which kind of ruined the game for me.

I can’t remember too much about the game now but I’m sure that I liked the ending where the main character redeemed himself or have I remembered that wrongly? I do know that I liked the game despite negative reviews.

I don’t mind playing an unlikable character if it fits with an interesting story.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

TimovieMan - 24 August 2020 05:32 PM

Does this have something to do with me bashing Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars in the “What game are you playing?” thread? Smile

That’s how I felt after replaying Broken Sword in one of the recent CPTs too despite it used to be one of my all-time favourite adventure games. I still have good memories from those days I discovered the game, how much I admired the atmosphere, the humour, the beautiful graphics and the whole Knight Templars storyline. But modern me finds BS rather empty and just not very well-written or designed. Still a quality adventure, yet it lost its charm to me, so I probably won’t replay it again and try to treasure only good memories.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Grim Fandango not good? Pass that weed bro.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

tomimt - 25 August 2020 03:29 AM

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of love towards Wadjet Eye’s The Blackwell games, which I’ve always found only passable at best. Same with the Unavowed. They are competently made, but all of them just lack that something special-element that would make them more than they are. As they are now, I’d call ‘em games you can play once and forget about.

I actually did like the Blackwell games. I think they are perhaps a bit overrated, but they’re good games.

But Unavowed has to be the most overrated game. I mean it’s not a bad game… but the fact that I constantly see people saying things like “Oh my god, Unavowed is the the best adventure game of the modern era!!” and all I can think is “hmm, you must not play very many adventure games if you think that.”

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

hightreason - 27 August 2020 06:06 AM
tomimt - 25 August 2020 03:29 AM

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of love towards Wadjet Eye’s The Blackwell games, which I’ve always found only passable at best. Same with the Unavowed. They are competently made, but all of them just lack that something special-element that would make them more than they are. As they are now, I’d call ‘em games you can play once and forget about.

I actually did like the Blackwell games. I think they are perhaps a bit overrated, but they’re good games.

But Unavowed has to be the most overrated game. I mean it’s not a bad game… but the fact that I constantly see people saying things like “Oh my god, Unavowed is the the best adventure game of the modern era!!” and all I can think is “hmm, you must not play very many adventure games if you think that.”

Agreed its a low budget version on a telltale game with only slightly more puzzles

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 24 August 2020 11:11 AM

Hey guys and girls. Let’s talk about Adventure Games that we THOUGHT we liked at the time but in reality were not good. Games that were popular and well received, but might have been more sizzle than steak.

The Longest Journey.
I liked it the first few times I played it.
When I tried playing it recently, I got bored.

I already know the story.

I have less patience for nonstop yakking than I did 20 years ago.
Even back when I first played TLJ, I was annoyed that April did things that were not in her best interest, and not something I would have done. If I’m supposed to be playing as April, I should have a choice. 

I had a similar problem with Broken Sword—George needs another character’s help, so the first thing he does is insult them. Then they won’t talk to him any more. In most cases I had to go back to a previous save in order to progress in the game. I guess George thought he was funny, but he wasn’t. He was being cringe and shooting himself in the foot.

Syberia is another one. The first time I played it, I was playing it along with a friend, and some of the reason I enjoyed it was because of the friend, who unfortunately no longer has any interest in playing adventure games.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Origami - 27 August 2020 01:13 AM

Grim Fandango not good? Pass that weed bro.

*rips bong*

Okay let’s all calm the fuck down here.

I actually personally feel all double fine/schafer games are overrated, but I wouldn’t describe them as “not good” games.  I thought psychonauts was over rated, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I packed up my toys and went home on Grim Fandango because I couldn’t solve the puzzles, and in retrospect they are NOT moon logic, however they are not sound logic either.  I did eventually look up what to do with robert frost’s face, and I felt silly, but I got immediately stuck by the fire beavers too.

Same with TLJ.  I’m not here to tell you it’s a bad game, It’s not, but I could agree that it’s overrated.

The problem being the thread title is “popular games that were NOT good” and then we went on to discuss good games that are overrated which I feel we should distinguish between the two.

I’m really surprised to see blackwell series on here though.  I think maybe I’m still sweet on it because I played it recently, however, I was a big fan of updating my notes, cross-referencing notes, and exploring with joey vs rosangela.  To the point that when I started Whisper of a Machine, I noticed she had a notebook, and I was immediately let down that you could do very little with it.

Same with King’s Quests, I mean sure the first 2 are maddening, but 3 and 4 are pretty good.  I’m surprised to see opinions where ONLY 6 is good.  I understand it’s the best one, (and I truly love moody alexander or Gwydion even more so in the KQ 2015) but KQ 3 and 4 are quite good I think, especially compared with some of the crap in 5.  And 7 is better than most people are willing to admit I think.

Well if I have to shit on a game then… uhm.. I pick Kentucky Route 0.  I don’t think it’s good, and I dont think it’s popular but it seems to be popular here.  No narrative pay off.  I wish it would start with a disclaimer like how some games warn you there is graphic violence.  “This game contains very little narrative pay-off.  Viewer discretion is advised.”  there is a home console port coming out (already out?), and i honestly dont know why.

which way was I supposed to pass this bong?

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

crabapple - 27 August 2020 03:43 PM
Captain Blondebeard - 24 August 2020 11:11 AM

Hey guys and girls. Let’s talk about Adventure Games that we THOUGHT we liked at the time but in reality were not good. Games that were popular and well received, but might have been more sizzle than steak.

The Longest Journey.
I liked it the first few times I played it.
When I tried playing it recently, I got bored.

I already know the story.

I have less patience for nonstop yakking than I did 20 years ago.
Even back when I first played TLJ, I was annoyed that April did things that were not in her best interest, and not something I would have done. If I’m supposed to be playing as April, I should have a choice. 

I had a similar problem with Broken Sword—George needs another character’s help, so the first thing he does is insult them. Then they won’t talk to him any more. In most cases I had to go back to a previous save in order to progress in the game. I guess George thought he was funny, but he wasn’t. He was being cringe and shooting himself in the foot.

Syberia is another one. The first time I played it, I was playing it along with a friend, and some of the reason I enjoyed it was because of the friend, who unfortunately no longer has any interest in playing adventure games.

Strongly agree that TLJ and the Syberias are not good. Main reason for me is the yakking.

For a while I was hardcore anti-dialogue (I just wanted less), but eventually on replaying games like Gabriel Knight 1 I realized dialogue could be a delight when it was performed well by actors who do good shtick. But in games like TLJ, Syberia, and pre-TWD Telltale this was almost never the case. Mediocre writing, mediocre acting, and so damn much of it to sit through.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

this topic is the 3rd time it had been discussed within the last 10 year alone,  but its not the point, but i see a different pattern that is showing this time and i am guessing it either bc a new generation that did not have a say at the 2 topics before, or there is a new misconception that is creeping in on the genre esp. a with the state of controversy the genre has been at the last 5 years or so.

we need first to establish an understanding; that ‘holding up’ and ‘good’ are not the same, for example; if an adventure gamer is giving an opinion on Grim Fandango at the time of its release and a time when it was ten or fifteen years old, they wouldn’t/shouldn’t be much different, as the genre had yet until then, the same traditional understanding, but if the first time to play it was when the word Adventure has become so broad, with much many new implements than just the point and click (or direct control) adventure games of the genre’s classics that could be a different story.

I don’t wanna get into it more than this, cs it doesn’t really matter for me, and shouldn’t for anyone aswel…

but honestly, this thread shouldn’t be tackling with almost indisputable games like Gabriel Knight or TotT or Riven or Grim Fandango, this thread idea surely NOT to discuss games that all adventure gamers for almost two consecutive decades had some very close understanding (i always witnessed everywhere) and esp here where we have a sort of an agreement on our choices and taste for the VERY BEST!...bc we here had a tournament that on January 18, 2015 (The day most visitors ever were on this site) was completed and resulted in a list which that almost ALL members here had their vote and share at it, at the course of that whole month when the tournament had taken place. 

we may need to bring more fresh titles into the discussion, just good titles, not the greatest to be fun in the first place, like games on the scale of Lost Horizon or the two Wadjet Eye games already mentioned here, which are game that anyone could feel that s(he) had a different opinion than the most common ones heard before.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top