• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

List of lesser-known adventure games you may have not have come across yet

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-08-06

PM

Hey there!
Decade-long lurker here Smile
Thought I might share with you some titles I don’t think I’ve come across on this site yet!  Or haven’t had much exposure that I’ve noticed.. Alot of them are VN/adventure hybrids (or choice-heavy VNs I thought deserved a mention), or re-released English-translated games, and can be found on Steam.  Some have come up under the Newly Released section already but gone mostly unnoticed.. Let me know what you think Smile

Roman’s Christmas
The Adventures of Fei DuanMu
Visitor 1 & 2
Detective Kobayashi
Interrogation Files - Port Landsend (similar gameplay to Her Story)
Indygo
The Vigilant Villa
A Light in The Dark
Burden of Proof (Ace Attorney inspired)
Lingering
BirthME Code (Danganronpa/999 inspired)
Beckett
Detective Failure (RPG maker)
The Island: Into the Mist
Mirt - Tales of the Cold Land
Nether Gallery
Shinrai - Broken Beyond Dispair
What Never Was (free)
96 Mill
Crimson Gray
Metaphobia (free)
MMM: Murder Most Misfortunate
Mystery at Stonyford Bridge
Sickness
Soul Gambler
Traum
Missing Children
Leviathan the Last Day of the Decade
Return to Shironagasu Island
Seers Isle
Stigmatized Property
BlankSpace
Belongings
Corridors of their Memories

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Funny, I haven’t heard of any of these games, I love VNs however, so I’ll give them a try if I can find them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i only played Metaphobia, it is a good adventure, but kinda very rough on the edges.

to your saying “Alot of them are VN/adventure hybrids”, if there is are thread for the most putting-off game’s depictions, i would go for ‘Hybrids’, i like AGs that are more ‘pureblood’, classic

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

An effort to promote more obscure games is always appreciated. I have some of these, but there are some I haven’t come across before.

I want to ask this though, why these games?
There are hundreds of adventure games released every year, and every month some games go totally unnoticed by sites like this (and the rest of the world wouldn’t even be bothered to notice).

So why out of that pool of hundreds of games these ones specifically got listed?
Are they the best ones? The most obscure by some criteria? Easiest (or hardest) to get a hold of?

Anyway, to add something to the discussion, I recently found out about two games that are not well-known games, but happen to be currently available with -100% discount completely free on itch.io.

The Maze
“The Maze is a third person adventure experience game that requires players to get out of the maze.”
http://mopegames.itch.io/themaze

Anaphora
“Anaphora is a psychological horror game developed by Ghost Masaki. You play a detective who goes to investigate the murder of a person and experiences supernatural occurrences.”
http://m-rx.itch.io/anaphora

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 24 October 2021 05:15 AM

The Maze
“The Maze is a third person adventure experience game that requires players to get out of the maze.”
http://mopegames.itch.io/themaze

Anaphora
“Anaphora is a psychological horror game developed by Ghost Masaki. You play a detective who goes to investigate the murder of a person and experiences supernatural occurrences.”
http://m-rx.itch.io/anaphora

The first game looks like a 3rd-person action game from the trailer, with fighting and all, the second - like a walking simulator with jump scares. People today use the word “adventure” to describe basically anything. The original poster at least warned us that most games in her list are visual novels, probably a fan of this genre, so her recommendations makes sense.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 24 October 2021 05:54 AM

The first game looks like a 3rd-person action game from the trailer, with fighting and all, the second - like a walking simulator with jump scares. People today use the word “adventure” to describe basically anything.

I haven’t had the time to play these yet, but I don’t see fighting being a problem at all. No one claimed these are point-and-clicks, they are labelled as adventures which is a broader term.

If we talk about fighting, plenty of adventure games have that, including Indiana Jones games from LucasArts. And obviously Shenmue is one of the best adventure games ever made, even though it has many fighting scenes, including one against 100 opponents. The question is, how much fighting there is, and how much other things there are.

But in any case, as these are currently available for free, there shouldn’t be too much risk in buying them for that price. If they aren’t good by some criteria, nothing gained, but nothing lost either.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 24 October 2021 07:04 AM

If they aren’t good by some criteria, nothing gained, but nothing lost either.

Time?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 24 October 2021 05:54 AM

The first game looks like a 3rd-person action game from the trailer, with fighting and all, the second - like a walking simulator with jump scares. People today use the word “adventure” to describe basically anything.

I haven’t had the time to play these yet, but I don’t see fighting being a problem at all. No one claimed these are point-and-clicks, they are labelled as adventures which is a broader term.

They are not labelled as adventures but as action-adventures. Not the same thing at all. The Maze is an action game, there can be no doubt about that. Monsters and a guy running around with a weapon in his hand are a dead giveaway. So are Shenmue and the later Indiana Jones games by the way.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 24 October 2021 08:05 AM

They are not labelled as adventures but as action-adventures. Not the same thing at all.

What’s your source for that?
Certainly not the game pages in the store.

The Maze

Genre Adventure, Puzzle, Survival
Tags 3D, Singleplayer, Third Person, Thriller, Unreal Engine

Anaphora

Genre Adventure
Tags Atmospheric, First-Person, Horror, Mystery, Psychological Horror, Singleplayer

Obviously the information there can be wrong, but based on what is written there, there’s no room for speculation. They are labelled as adventures, “action” is not mentioned in the genre nor in any of the tags.
Perhaps the meaning of “survival” can be debated.

But in case some people don’t want these (for the time being) completely free games, they can just be ignored and forgotten, so I don’t see much practical problems here.

The Maze is an action game, there can be no doubt about that. Monsters and a guy running around with a weapon in his hand are a dead giveaway. So are Shenmue and the later Indiana Jones games by the way.

Maybe you can explain your views on Shenmue?
Fighting is only maybe 10% of the gameplay, when the rest is talking to people, exploring, solving puzzles, QTEs (which were in the bigger picture introduced by Shenmue), or doing some random things like forklift racing.
Adventuring is actually the hardest part in Shenmue, fighting can be managed by randomly hitting some buttons, and stuff like racing is meaningless because there’s no need to win it (although winning it is easy).

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Not long ago I was browsing through a list of “all-time greatest adventure games” which consisted of Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3, Assassin’s Creed and so on, but not a single “real” adventure)) They are using this word like it’s some adventure experience, not a separate game genre. Watching the trailers I thought this might be the case here.

And obviously Shenmue is one of the best adventure games ever made, even though it has many fighting scenes, including one against 100 opponents. The question is, how much fighting there is, and how much other things there are.

I also wouldn’t call Shenmue an adventure. It was story-driven, had a lot of exploration, dialogues, but I remember only one real “puzzle” from it - the long and exhausting forklift sequence which involved moving lots of *sick* crates. Rather than that it was just finding the right location and QTE-ing with everything. I enjoyed the game for what it was, but I really wish adventure gamers would’ve left QTE to console action fans Laughing

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 24 October 2021 08:40 AM

They are not labelled as adventures but as action-adventures. Not the same thing at all.

What’s your source for that?

Steam and GOG.
It’s not just the tags. Read this description:

You will find loot along the way to help you like Keys, Notes, Tools, Weapons, Lights, Food, and First Aid, you are probably thinking that if it’s just a maze what do I need weapons and first aid for? Well, you may run across an animal or two that you might have to defend yourself from, but if it was me I would be more worried about the Creatures of the Dead that run this maze, protect its secrets and hunt through the night for anything to eat. oh yeah, and you also might need the first aid if you fall and scrape your knee.

If that doesn’t sound like an action game to you, I don’t know what does.

All discussions I’ve had with you so far follow the same path and end the same way. I’m not going there again if I can help it. So all I’m saying in this reply to you is: “No, you’re wrong.” I’m not interested in discussing the meaning of the word survival or the percentage of puzzles in games you refuse to call action-adventures for some reason.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 24 October 2021 10:16 AM

Steam and GOG.
It’s not just the tags. Read this description:

If that doesn’t sound like an action game to you, I don’t know what does.

All discussions I’ve had with you so far follow the same path and end the same way. I’m not going there again if I can help it. So all I’m saying in this reply to you is: “No, you’re wrong.”

Oh, the irony.

If you are blaming someone for being wrong, get your facts straight first.

1) There’s no game called “The Maze” on GOG, so I don’t know how you can find anything to back your arguments there.

2) There are two or three games on Steam called “The Maze” (depending on how exact you want to be with the title), but none of them is the game that is talked about here. The one you quoted from seems to have some similarities, but is a different game.
This should be obvious by checking who made them, MopeGames vs. N-Orbit Studios, or reading when they were released, about a week ago vs. early access last December. Also, all of the screenshots as well as title graphics are different.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, and the topic was “lesser-known adventure games” by the first time posting person. I can only hope that your unsuccessful attempts to personal attacks don’t discourage that person or others from posting in the future.

If you think some game is action, don’t play it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

1) There’s no game called “The Maze” on GOG, so I don’t know how you can find anything to back your arguments there.

Shenmue, the later Indiana Jones games. Both GOG and Steam call them action games.

2) There are two or three games on Steam called “The Maze” (depending on how exact you want to be with the title), but none of them is the game that is talked about here. The one you quoted from seems to have some similarities, but is a different game.
This should be obvious by checking who made them, MopeGames vs. N-Orbit Studios, or reading when they were released, about a week ago vs. early access last December. Also, all of the screenshots as well as title graphics are different.

You’re right, I stand corrected. I should have confined myself to the trailer and screenshots on itch, which are enough proof that The Maze is an action game.

[...] your unsuccessful attempts to personal attacks[...]

I disagree one hundred percent with your opinion what an action game is. I don’t consider that a personal attack. But I guess you meant my refusal to discuss it in depth with you. I’m as much to blame for the way our discussions usually end as you are, that’s why I said I don’t want to go there anymore if I can help it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top