• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 03 February 2013 08:51 PM

(yeap, I quickly started Squish’s emp-tel uh, I mean, case Grin BTW, I’d like to hear Josh’s, Jim’s and others opinion about order of things, because somehow I presumed Squish should be done first as he was standing there in front of you waiting for you to click him after solving the quiz.

So, I presume you won’t follow the playthrough after all? My instructions were crystal-clear: Speak with Callahan to take the quest to Pyotr after the contest.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-06-02

PM

Sefir - 03 February 2013 12:21 PM
TimovieMan - 03 February 2013 12:08 PM

Have you tried talking to Doc after solving the contest? He can give you a few more to solve (although I have to say that they’re a LOT more obscure - I had never heard of the first one)...

Yes, I was about to ask if anyone managed to solve any of these… (not me!)

I was too afraid of asking him about more riddles. Didn’t want to ruin my sense of achievement. Wink

So far the game is really funny. I’m in front of Pyotr’s house and already had a nice chat with a crate and the door. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Still at the quiz, number 8 is destroying me… Tried all the famous ones I would remember from the theme but couldn’t get it…

8. Correct; Ancient Game; Bouillon; Funeral transport.

I’m thinking:

[spoiler]Right ; no idea ; Soup / broth ; hearse[/spoiler] Pan  Confused

Am I completely wrong? Any advice?

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

wilco - 04 February 2013 05:57 AM

Still at the quiz, number 8 is destroying me… Tried all the famous ones I would remember from the theme but couldn’t get it…

8. Correct; Ancient Game; Bouillon; Funeral transport.

I’m thinking:

[spoiler]Right ; no idea ; Soup / broth ; hearse[/spoiler] Pan  Confused

Am I completely wrong? Any advice?

From what I see, you are doing very well. Remember: It can always be something you have never heard of. Google is your friend.
(Trying and spelling in once what you found is sometimes very helpful…) Wink
Small Tip 2:The ancient game is a well known one

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Sefir - 02 February 2013 08:54 AM

Cool!! Is it possible to post some of these story concepts in the thread? Perhaps one on each time we finish a chapter like a “player’s reward”? Tongue

Unfortunately, putting my hands on the actual text of those story concepts would be tough. They’ve gone back and forth the country a couple of times since then, and been in a flood. But I do remember that the story that I was working on was Doc’s origin story, and that was what Spider was working on, too.

I also remember what the polarizing story was, that Legend declined. I’ll post about that after a chapter!

diego - 03 February 2013 08:51 PM

BTW, I’d like to hear Josh’s, Jim’s and others opinion about order of things, because somehow I presumed Squish should be done first as he was standing there in front of you waiting for you to click him after solving the quiz Tongue Even though it’s likely to guess that the game is non-linear in that regard)

From my perspective, anyway, there was no special order. If anything (and I think this was just based on the order in which I wrote the stories), I tended to think of the order of the first three stories “Josie, Pyotr, Squish,” because I saw Squish’s story as the toughest of the three, and Josie’s and Pyotr’s stories as much more conventional from a gameplay standpoint, and thus more “introductory.”

I can definitely say that there was no consideration of the order based on the artwork. I didn’t tell the artists (who were all off-site) anything about the order of the stories, their relative difficulties, or anything like that; I wanted the characters’ placement to appear truly random. In fact, they may very well not have known which characters were going to have stories, and which were not.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 February 2013 10:39 PM

Oh, such lovely puns! I have spent the past hour just clicking on things to hear/read the comments.

And that’s exactly the reason I gave two weeks time for each chapter.
Glad you liked it. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sefir - 04 February 2013 06:04 AM

From what I see, you are doing very well. Remember: It can always be something you have never heard of. Google is your friend.
(Trying and spelling in once what you found is sometimes very helpful…) Wink
Small Tip 2:The ancient game is a well known one

Got it!

Ended up googling Famous rock and roll brothers because of the final two words but it was a bit of cheating…

On to Pyotr!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If anyone is hopelessly stuck on the puzzles, here are the answers:

*WARNING: these are the full solutions - don’t check them if you still want to find them yourself!!!*

1. cross + be + stills + gnash + and + young = Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
2. fleet + wood + Mac = Fleetwood Mac
3. soup + oar + tramp = Supertramp
4. arrows + myth = Aerosmith
5. grate + full + dead = Grateful Dead
6. row + lynx + tones = Rolling Stones
7. led + zip + Helen = Led Zeppelin
8. right + chess + broth + hearse = Righteous Brothers
9. part + rich + female + E = Partridge Family
10. thud + ores = The Doors

And for the riddle gluttons and masochists amongst us:

Bonus 1: Penalize wages; ripped; gimmick; patriotic song; renowned inventor; display.
dock + torn + hook + anthem + Edison + show = Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show (pretty obscure, imo)

Bonus 2: Large land transport; straw; famous Redgrave.
van + hay + Lynn = Van Halen

Bonus 3: Pluck; in performance mode; verbal colloquialism of uncertainty.
nerve + on + uh = Nirvana

Bonus 4: Crushing; tap; Griffey Jr. & Kesey
smashing + pump + Kens = Smashing Pumpkins

Bonus 5: Crowlike bird; duplicity; stretched across.
jay + guile + spanned = J. Geils Band

With thanks to Trunkyo for correcting a small error on Bonus Question 3. Less iffy now, but still the most groan-worthy of the lot, imo. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Number 10 accepted Doobie Brothers for me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Christ, this has to be the funniest game I’ve played since my first playthrough of Phoenix Wright. Or maybe even as far back as Curse of Monkey Island! The puns! THE PUNS!!! Gasp

Are Spider’s books this funny as well?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 04 February 2013 03:49 PM

The puns! THE PUNS!!! Gasp

I agree. This level of (good) punny humor is perhaps matched only by Companions of Xanth.

Sefir - 04 February 2013 12:31 AM

So, I presume you won’t follow the playthrough after all? My instructions were crystal-clear: Speak with Callahan to take the quest to Pyotr after the contest.

I’ve saved the game just after the contest. Taking Squish’s case was only for a quick glimpse of it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 04 February 2013 03:49 PM

Christ, this has to be the funniest game I’ve played since my first playthrough of Phoenix Wright. Or maybe even as far back as Curse of Monkey Island! The puns! THE PUNS!!!

I did warn you that it’s the funniest game ever made, did I? Wink

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yipee!  I finally figured out how to get some bani!  Now I guess it’s time to go shopping in Wentworth’s, but there are so many wonderfully silly things to buy.  Maybe I should get a morning thunderthigh at Starbucharests instead.

By the way, Jake’s comments about the lizard outside made me laugh out loud, and I absolutely love the old gypsy woman!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I like to ask Josho and/or Jim Montanus if it ever was a worry that players might not be able to solve the quiz and just give up on the game? I enjoyed it, but without google I don’t think I would have found a single answer.
Was internet research already expected in 1997? Or did you assume the game would not be played outside the US? (and for that matter: is the quiz easy for native English speakers?)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In any case, I guess the game was ahead of its time. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top