• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not to worry. It is a spectacularly funny game. You all will enjoy it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

First, let’s clarify a couple of things.

No one, I mean NO ONE should accuse personal characterizations to anyone or their questions. Especially if these questions are to me and it is me the one that has to answer them.
In this particular case, while Fien is right about the google search of the patch of course (too easy to find), it was not rtrooney’s fault either that I didn’t post zobraks’s link for the CCS windows installer from another thread. I didn’t see any insults from Fien’s first reply however (she was helpful instead.). The problem started when posts about “Trusted sources”, “PMs”, “Unnamed Buddies” and “Smackdowns” took place.
I don’t know what happened here, but this is REALLY serious and I want to know everything that happened from both of you (Fien & rtrooney) so that I know what kind of people want to participate in this playthrough and take the appropriate actions. In PMs, until 3/2. I would also like a moderator (most likely Tim) to intervene, helping me clarify things.
I don’t want to lose any participants, but I won’t hesitate to ask people to leave if their actions are inappropriate.
This is the first and last time I post about this event in the thread. I don’t want any mess in my Saloon.

Sefir - 30 January 2013 01:22 AM

EDIT 4: All participants are asked to remain on-topic in their posts here, use spoiler tags when necessary and generally join with a kind-heart spirit.

Just a reminder.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

drunk - 31 January 2013 11:35 AM

I never played this game before, but it looks very interesting (I usually love games with bars).

So if my English isn’t too bad for the first riddle I’d also like to join this playthrough. *grabs her dictionary*

Yes, an english dictionary, especially one with synonyms like Dag suggested, helps in solving the riddle, though perhaps you also have to know a couple of things about the theme too. Not to worry. Subtle hints will be given through the thread if many people get stuck on this one.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Rtrooney and I can’t be in the same room together, let alone bar. Never could. Of course it was a smackdown. I did add the first three links before rtrooney’s reply, however. That’s all there is to say about it. He can be here. I promise I won’t participate.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-06-02

PM

Sefir - 01 February 2013 03:15 AM

... though perhaps you also have to know a couple of things about the theme too.

Yes, I suspect that this lack of knowledge is more fatal than my miserable English skills…

But so far the research is a lot of fun - a wonderful task to spend my working hours with. Smile

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

drunk - 01 February 2013 04:30 AM

..so far the research is a lot of fun - a wonderful task to spend my working hours with. Smile

That’s nice, considering this riddle is the second most irritating part of the game IMO…

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Got it working too in dosbox. It took me an hour of heavy googling to find the 10 answers.  Confused

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I finally managed to solve the last name! I’ve heard of the band, but never listened to it, for some reason I thought they were a country group^^, so I wasn’t even considering them. I finally made the match when looking at lists of popular rock bands

I think I must have used a good 3 hours alltogether solving these lol. Everyone else so far made it quicker, by the look of it.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

TimovieMan - 31 January 2013 01:39 AM

Based on that diary entry, Legend had nothing to do with bringing Amos Garrett on-board, that was all Spider’s doing?

That’s accurate. Amos was Spider’s choice, and all Legend really had to do with it was to make sure that the money was there to support it.

TimovieMan - 31 January 2013 01:39 AM

Also, it’s odd that Spider wasn’t interested at all in the game. Other writers usually are when someone else is adapting their work.
I remember the Discworld Noir credits mentioning Terry Pratchett under “Too much interference:”. Tongue

I would like to think that, early on, Spider realized that his game was being adapted by someone who was going to treat his creation with tender loving care. That point might have been brought home to him when I sent him my summaries for each of the stories. (Initially I think I wrote about a dozen or so story concepts, at least one of which Legend declined because it was on a polarizing topic.) One of the stories was an origin story for one of the main characters. Spider nixed it because he had a similar origin story in the works for his next Callahan’s book. So we were obviously somewhat in sync.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Ahh…proud of myself for solving the first one. I wrote down all synonyms I could think of, and finally it was the “and” that clicked. Odd answers it accepted for me were:

For the Aerosmith one, I wrote “missilestory” and it worked. Ummmm…

Is the last one supposed to be the Doobie Brothers? I don’t see where the thump or metals fit there.

Regarding moving forward:

Do we now have a choice between doing Josie’s quest or Pyotr? And obviously for the playthrough we are all choosing Pyotr first?

Loved the Mary Poppins analysis.

Edit: Had a spoiler showing, sorry!

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

Hi - I was Legend’s lead programmer on Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon. Josh asked me to drop by and say hi, and maybe offer some insights or behind the scenes info if appropriate. Thrilled to hear you are doing a group walk-through. Hope you guys enjoy the game!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Josho - 01 February 2013 06:37 PM

I sent him my summaries for each of the stories. (Initially I think I wrote about a dozen or so story concepts, at least one of which Legend declined because it was on a polarizing topic.) One of the stories was an origin story for one of the main characters. Spider nixed it because he had a similar origin story in the works for his next Callahan’s book. So we were obviously somewhat in sync.

Cool!! Is it possible to post some of these story concepts in the thread? Perhaps one on each time we finish a chapter like a “player’s reward”? Tongue

JuntMonkey - 02 February 2013 12:54 AM

Do we now have a choice between doing Josie’s quest or Pyotr? And obviously for the playthrough we are all choosing Pyotr first?

No need for spoiler tags here. Smile Yes, there is a choice, but for the playthrough’s shake we choose Pyotr’s (Wait until 3/2!!!). After all, I found some inside-jokes in Josie’s that are better understood if Pyotr’s is done first.

Jim Montanus - 02 February 2013 03:26 AM

Hi - I was Legend’s lead programmer on Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon. Josh asked me to drop by and say hi, and maybe offer some insights or behind the scenes info if appropriate. Thrilled to hear you are doing a group walk-through. Hope you guys enjoy the game!

Welcome!!  Smile

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

I’m surprised to hear Josie’s story (what I call the Chocolate Story - I don’t think that’s a meaningful spoiler) has in-jokes to Pyotr’s. Josie’s was written and coded first - I suspect Josh went in later and added additional handling to Josie’s story after Pyotr’s was written. At that very early stage in the development I was working furiously to get him a dialog writing tool that would assist him in keeping track of dialog threads, while at the same time generating code, scripts, and stubbed audio files. The new editor was buggy and Josh lost some dialog - thank you Josh for being so patient. (They later showed up after Josh had written replacements - the data was stored but not being properly displayed on the screen.) I was literaly adding features hours before he needed to use them.

This won’t come as a surprise, but Josh is brilliantly creative/funny, and it was an honor to work with him.

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

BTW, for those who are curious about the loose answering/multiple solutions on the initial quiz about bands: we wanted to be lenient about misspellings, and we also recognized in a few instances that the puzzles could have reasonable alternate solutions. So we graded the answer on how close the answer came (matching letters, order of letters, etc.) Sometimes that means odd answers are accepted, but we thought that wiser than frustrating a player by preventing them from continuing because they had the spelling slightly different.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Jim Montanus - 02 February 2013 12:03 PM

I’m surprised to hear Josie’s story (what I call the Chocolate Story - I don’t think that’s a meaningful spoiler) has in-jokes to Pyotr’s. Josie’s was written and coded first - I suspect Josh went in later and added additional handling to Josie’s story after Pyotr’s was written. At that very early stage in the development I was working furiously to get him a dialog writing tool that would assist him in keeping track of dialog threads, while at the same time generating code, scripts, and stubbed audio files. The new editor was buggy and Josh lost some dialog - thank you Josh for being so patient. (They later showed up after Josh had written replacements - the data was stored but not being properly displayed on the screen.) I was literaly adding features hours before he needed to use them.

This won’t come as a surprise, but Josh is brilliantly creative/funny, and it was an honor to work with him.

I was thinking moments likewhen you use the pencil on the pretchel, Jake tries to write “Help! I have no salt!” on it! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top