• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

A book of synonyms can be really helpful to that riddle.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Why is everyone playing before the official start? Shifty Eyed I hope to start it during the weekend or next week, but don’t worry - I’m used at falling behind at playthroughs. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 31 January 2013 09:56 AM

Anyone else found several solutions for one name? And can anyone explain to me how nr. 4 fits with Motorhead? Confused

It seems that the engine allows for spelling mistakes, and it’s probably just too loose.

Motorhead has the same amount of letters as Aerosmith, and only two different letters if scrambled. Maybe that’s why it counts both as correct?
Wouldn’t know why there are two solutions for 10. though.

Dag - 31 January 2013 11:44 AM

Just use TheFreeDictionary. You’ll find almost everything you need there… Tongue

diego - 31 January 2013 11:49 AM

Why is everyone playing before the official start? Shifty Eyed

We’re just checking to see if it works! Honestly! Innocent

I hope to start it during the weekend or next week, but don’t worry - I’m used at falling behind at playthroughs. Grin

You only need to worry once “falling behind” takes on “The Space Bar” proportions… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 31 January 2013 11:52 AM

Anyone else found several solutions for one name? And can anyone explain to me how nr. 4 fits with Motorhead? Confused

It seems that the engine allows for spelling mistakes, and it’s probably just too loose.

Motorhead has the same amount of letters as Aerosmith, and only two different letters if scrambled. Maybe that’s why it counts both as correct?

Yeah, you’re probably onto something there, or maybe Josh has a better explanation? Smile

diego - 31 January 2013 11:49 AM

Why is everyone playing before the official start? Shifty Eyed I hope to start it during the weekend or next week, but don’t worry - I’m used at falling behind at playthroughs. Grin

Sefir okayed having a go at that contest in the beginning, and that’s all I’ve been doing. For three days, and I still can’t figure out the first one Tongue Is it possible that I haven’t heard of that band?

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Started the riddle last night (with a dictionary) got a “Yeah” moment when I finally got the number 9 right, but that one threw me off track because I thought the theme was another… When I finally got the number 2 and realized what the theme was I instantly guessed a couple more. After some time and random guesses got most of them except for number 8… Got stuck there.

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

My copy of the game actually comes with a “strategy guide” booklet that, as I just discovered, has some synonyms listed for this contest (and possibly for the next? There’s many words there that I’m sure I didn’t use, or maybe they’re red herrings?).

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

This is going to be oodles of fun, especially with Josh Mandel dropping in! I’ve been quite busy with work lately but I should be able to accommodate the leisurely pace of a community playthrough and maybe a post here and there with my impressions. So I guess this sounds quite a bit like I am in too.

Since the thread went live, I acquired a copy (turned out to be the easier part) and today I used all of my free time to install and patch the game (quite a bit harder but, admittedly, mostly because I am rusty with DOSBox).

I will use the time until the official start [s]to read the manual… ahem, The Adventurer’s Survival Guide[/s] (EDIT: Oops, it seems that this is the hint book and walkthrough. Not just yet Smile ), to look around the bar… ahem, the saloon, and to look into that (apparently) infernal riddle everyone’s talking about.

Question for Sefir (or anyone who’s played CCS before): The good-old README.TXT (oh, how I’ve missed thee!) lists W as a shortcut for “Wait[ing] for one game turn (five minutes)”. Is CCS like TSB in that regard: does game time play a role? And if so, what role?

Incidentally, if someone’s skipped the README, here is the relevant part (includes a few handy-looking commands):

Undocumented Features
---------------------

There is a small number of handy features in Callahans which are not available 
via the game menu
These features and how you access them are listed below:

FEATURE      DESCRIPTION
W            Wait 
for one game turn (five minutes)
F7           Toggle game animations
Alt
-C        Saves the current screen to a file of the name SCREENxx.PCX.
Right-Click  Cancel command, or scroll screen quickly (when in a scroll region 
             at the extreme edges of the screen
). 

Like a… thesaurus? Wink To be fair, if you look up “thesaurus” in a dictionary, you will probably get “a book of synonyms”. Looking it up in a thesaurus though, might not. Grin Ok, enough recursion.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TerminusEst - 31 January 2013 03:25 PM

Question for Sefir (or anyone who’s played CCS before): The good-old README.TXT (oh, how I’ve missed thee!) lists W as a shortcut for “Wait[ing] for one game turn (five minutes)”. Is CCS like TSB in that regard: does game time play a role? And if so, what role?

Like a… thesaurus? Wink To be fair, if you look up “thesaurus” in a dictionary, you will probably get “a book of synonyms”. Looking it up in a thesaurus though, might not. Grin Ok, enough recursion.

No, time is irrelevant at CCS. I have no idea what “waiting” means, though there are some few moments were you have to wait a few seconds (f.e. to wait for a boiled egg get cooler before taking it while people around you keep telling you to wait a bit).

BTW, thesaurus is a greek word and means: “treasure” Tongue

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Ok, I had a little time to try and hack the riddle. It took me about half an hour but I was lucky that the theme clicked quickly for me - in particular, I figured 4 and 5 out first. For some reason, I found 7 tricky - the first and third words were clear but I couldn’t figure out how the second hint related to Zeppelin. I still don’t think that zip-Helen sounds anything like Zeppelin. Tongue

I just discovered that there are some multiple solutions to this riddle. [...] Then I started to see if I could find additional alternate solutions to the other names, and I came up with another one for number 10 (in which I had initially put the rolling stones): thud+ores = the doors, and it worked too!

Ten was one of the last ones I got - I was trying different possible combinations since I knew the second word and I entered Boomers and it worked. So there are at least three possible answers for 10 (even though it’s obvious which the intended one was). I was actually coming to ask: who the hell are the Boomers? Grin

Dag - 31 January 2013 12:05 PM

For three days, and I still can’t figure out the first one Tongue Is it possible that I haven’t heard of that band?

It’s possible but if you’ve heard of 8 and 9, which are relatively more obscure, you must have heard of 1. In all honesty, I would have found 1. harder if I hadn’t just seen a joint interview with Spider Robinson and one of the members of 1 on Youtube, while looking up the author.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 30 January 2013 01:22 AM

Welcome!! Welcome people to Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon playthrough!!

The game runs perfectly well with Dosbox 074 in my Windows 7 64-bit. Strangely enough, when I tried the so called CCS windows installer the game, while installed fine, couldn’t play (just appeared a black screen instead of the bar. Could hear the fuss from the bar though. Now I know how it is to be blindfold in one of Doc’s practical jokes…).
If there is need, I will post the command lines (mount, etc).
Also, don’t forget! There is a 1.01 patch for Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon that perhaps you would like to check. It is supposed to stop some sudden “freezes” in the game (though I didn’t remember to meet any) plus some other minor improvements. The patch is easily found on the internet. I also have it in my possesion for whoever wants it and can’t find it. Mind you, the patch doesn’t recognise old saves (meaning that after you install the patch, the game doesn’t recognize the pre-patched saves).

About the playthrough, I was thinking of giving 14 days on each chapter (Pyotr’s will be the first. The “quest” is given by Callahan after the contest.). Remember: Try everything with everything!! There are unique responses and funny quotes for almost all combinations. This is the greatest fun in the game (and the reason I give that much time/chapter.)

EDIT: People!! Don’t get discouraged from the contest at the beggining!! Yes, It is hard, especially for us non-natives, but the theme is easy and we are here to solve it together!! Smile After all there are only just two contests like this in the entire game (this and another one).

EDIT 2: Did I mention how enthusiastic I am to lead a playthrough in one of my favourite games? I am!! A lot!! Laughing

EDIT 3: Pin the thread please. Smile

EDIT 4: All participants are asked to remain on-topic in their posts here, use spoiler tags when necessary and generally join with a kind-heart spirit.

It’s been more than three years since I tried to play a game using dosbox, so please give the instructions. (If they’ve already been posted, just say so. I did a quick check of the thread and didn’t see them, so if they’re there I need to look harder. Smile )I have the patch…..on a floppy! Guess that tells you how long it’s been since I played CCS. Ad to date it even further, it was copied onto one of the ubiquitous AOL Free Trial floppies that arrived in the mail every other day, back in the day. This is an original copy, so I hope it plays as well as when I first played it on a 488. I don’t think I can resist this “Playthrough.” It’s my second favorite game from my favorite designer. Tomorrow is only 2/1/13, so I’m hoping we will all be allowed to come up to speed before the flag drops, although I see that some have already completed a few laps.

Let me throw in another request: a link for the patch. I did a Google search on the patch and came up empty. I can only assume that’s because legit download, e.g. from Amazon, already includes the patch.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

rtrooney - 31 January 2013 06:48 PM

Let me throw in another request: a link for the patch. I did a Google search on the patch and came up empty. I can only assume that’s because legit download, e.g. from Amazon, already includes the patch.

Amazon?? Legit download??

I can only assume you came up empty because you either didn’t do any search or don’t know how to use Google. The very first link, yes the very first, that comes up in Google when I type “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon patch” is one to the patch.

Patch:
http://www.justadventure.com/thejave/html/Games/GamesC/JAVE_CallahansCrosstimeSaloon.shtml

DOSbox instructions:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933&sid=30e8bc0ca2bcc6cc1ab7d834e4569dcd
and
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=2502&sid=30e8bc0ca2bcc6cc1ab7d834e4569dcd

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, got a PM from a trusted source that says I got a smack down from a person un-named. Guess honest questions can’t be posted without her ridicule. Has always been the same. Guess I won’t be playing afterall.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I guess you got an email from your old buddy. Smackdown? Yeah, you’re lazy. Honest questions? Zobraks posted a link with NO WORK AT ALL: automatic installer for Callahan’s. You want other people to do the work for you. I even added the bloody links before your trusted source mailed you. Pfff!!!

PS: Here’s Zobraks’ link as well. I’m surprised your unnamed old buddy source didn’t give it to you. http://www.mediafire.com/?v6rspjol0hh063c/url

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Okay, you and your presence and your unnamed buddy have ruined this playthrough for me. Your old buddy will inform you by email that I won’t be participating anymore. So you can stay. Wonderful news, isn’t it!

PS: I also think you’re just a tiny, tiny bit stupid. And doing your trusted unnamed source a disservice by being so “honest” about private emails.

Looking forward to:

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

What’s up with the hostility? Confused Suddenly there’s a chilling freeze here..

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top