• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Josho - 13 February 2013 10:21 AM

It’s interesting to note that probably the bulk of adventure game sales today are in games that take exactly opposite the approach from the one I took with Callahan’s: games with absolutely no feedback or exploration in the game at all other than main path interactions.

This is making me wonder. How well did CCS do commercially?

This probably isn’t an easy question. I mean, on the one hand, the game was already closing in on the tail end of AG popularity in the 90s, but on the other hand, it used a well-known IP. At least, I think it was well-known in the States - I only know Spider Robinson and the Callahan’s IP because of the game (but that could be because I’m European).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jim Montanus - 13 February 2013 09:11 AM

There are a number of issues that make full vocalisation difficult:

- Additional expense and time of recording, implementation, and testing
- Audio is slower than text and so not always desirable
- Makes localisation more expensive (not necessarily an issue for CCS)

But most importantly in my mind, it makes the finished project more rigid - it is much more difficult to make last minute changes (and worse, the need to track and update last minute changes). Since Josh is a perfectionist (a character trait we tend to share, although he is more perfect at it than I…) he needed the freedom to make last minute changes to improve whatever he could. That goes from fixing typos, rewording jokes, but most importantly, adding transition narration to help the flow of the story when necessary. If we had done full vocalisation, his ability to polish the game would have been severely hampered. As it was, we had trouble ensuring that everything that should have been recorded was. Another question for Josh, along with the Astrolabe. Smile

Very understandable reasons and I actually prefer the silent narrator with lots of text (like in RPGs) with the exception being Space Quest, of course Smile
If now adventure games are cut because of the lack of funds for voice-acting it’s a waste…

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Sefir - 13 February 2013 02:46 AM

I find very interesting the fact that the narrator is voiceless. How come? Was it purposely because of the fact that the person he/she would have an incredible amount of lines to work? It would have been amazing if every pun, quote or comment in the game was voiced…

This would make the game unplayable for me. You can’t have that much text voiced unless you’ve got a world-class performance from the narrator. It would be excruciatingly slow. One of the only adventure games I’ve ever played where I am okay with listening to a lot of voice is Gabriel Knight 1.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

JuntMonkey - 13 February 2013 03:50 PM

This would make the game unplayable for me. You can’t have that much text voiced unless you’ve got a world-class performance from the narrator. It would be excruciatingly slow.

I think of Gary Owens. I don’t know how many lines of narration he had. I don’t know how long it took to record them, nor how difficult it was to integrate the narration into the game from a programming standpoint. But, to me, he was as much a part of the later games as Josh and the Two Guys. I’m sure I would have enjoyed the games with straight text narration, but almost certainly not as much as I did with voice.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 13 February 2013 11:49 AM

If I recall correctly, and I am sure Josh will correct my recollections, the game was not an “Instant Classic”. First, like the CCS game, Spider Robinson had a cult following, but was certainly not a mainstream author in the US. So his contribution to game sales was probably marginal. Second, there were all sorts of manufacturing and marketing snafus. If memory serves, the game that was initially released was not the Gold version, but a prior version. Thus the almost-immediate release of a patch. Third, I believe there was a bind-in demo of the game that was released to the gamer mags with more than a few bugs.

The result was that Take2 torpedoed sales of its own game. Obviously none of this was intentional. But it happened.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

rtrooney - 13 February 2013 07:07 PM
TimovieMan - 13 February 2013 11:49 AM

If I recall correctly, and I am sure Josh will correct my recollections, the game was not an “Instant Classic”. First, like the CCS game, Spider Robinson had a cult following, but was certainly not a mainstream author in the US. So his contribution to game sales was probably marginal. Second, there were all sorts of manufacturing and marketing snafus. If memory serves, the game that was initially released was not the Gold version, but a prior version. Thus the almost-immediate release of a patch. Third, I believe there was a bind-in demo of the game that was released to the gamer mags with more than a few bugs.

The result was that Take2 torpedoed sales of its own game. Obviously none of this was intentional. But it happened.

Good summary. Also advertising was almost nonexistent. And sadly the one ad in one magazine that I saw was really unflattering. I’m sure Josh has a copy of it - if he’s not too busy with LSL perhaps he could post an image of it?

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

I’ll see if I can dig up a copy. It advertised the game as a Western because the fine folks in Take Two’s marketing department never booted up the game or even bothered to ask Legend what it was about; they just assumed that, with the name “Saloon” in the title, it must be a Western-themed game.

I have no idea what the game sold in terms of numbers, but I’m guessing it probably didn’t even 100,000.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I knew I’d seen a Callahan’s ad before. Found the link at the old forums.
Cowboy hats, spurs, guns. Smile

http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/11-08-08.htm

Lots of other interesting adventure ads.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Fien - 14 February 2013 08:19 AM

I knew I’d seen a Callahan’s ad before. Found the link at the old forums.
Cowboy hats, spurs, guns. Smile

http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/11-08-08.htm

Lots of other interesting adventure ads.

OMG!!! Sorry, but these are just two dreadful ads!! What this green goblin is supposed to be anyway??!! Frown

PS: The best ads in this site are GK and TSB. By far.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

So I just saw this thread last night and ordered the game on Amazon. It should be here by Monday. I haven’t read through this thread because I didn’t want to see any spoilers but I was curious if I’m too far behind to catch up and join in. I should be able to get some solid playing time in on Monday when it arrives.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

CoyoteAG - 14 February 2013 12:12 PM

So I just saw this thread last night and ordered the game on Amazon. It should be here by Monday. I haven’t read through this thread because I didn’t want to see any spoilers but I was curious if I’m too far behind to catch up and join in. I should be able to get some solid playing time in on Monday when it arrives.

Monday is the day to start the 2nd chapter (I think/hope it is Smile, correct if I’m wrong Sefir), so far we only played the first part - Pyotr’s story so I think you should catch up fast.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

wilco - 14 February 2013 12:22 PM

Monday is the day to start the 2nd chapter (I think/hope it is Smile, correct if I’m wrong Sefir), so far we only played the first part - Pyotr’s story so I think you should catch up fast.

Excellent—thanks! I’m really looking forward to playing a game I haven’t played before as part of a group.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Josho - 14 February 2013 08:01 AM

I have no idea what the game sold in terms of numbers, but I’m guessing it probably didn’t even 100,000.

And the 10 or so people that bought it for this playthrough, bought it second-hand…

Sefir - 14 February 2013 08:25 AM

PS: The best ads in this site are GK and TSB. By far.

The Space Bar is my favourite as well!

Don’t worry. We’re only approaching the end of the first chapter and there are six of them. You’ll catch up soon enough if you can start on Monday.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Those ads are really interesting.

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 12:51 PM

And the 10 or so people that bought it for this playthrough, bought it second-hand…

I got a brand new never-opened boxed copy of the game with the survival guide.  Smile

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

There are at least five or six pages of ads at that site. (The old forums had the links, can’t find them.) For instance:
http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/11-04-05.htm
http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/11-03-06.htm

I love the Bad Mojo ads. The Drowned God one is really weird, which makes sense, cause Drowned God is a totally weird puzzle game that doesn’t even try to make sense.

http://www.przygodoskop.pl/rzutokiem/12-12-28.htm

PS: My boxed Callahan’s was brand-new too.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top