• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

TimovieMan - 30 January 2013 03:31 PM
Dag - 30 January 2013 02:48 PM

...after scratching my head another 10 minutes, I suddenly figured out nr. 7! After that, the theme was obvious, and I immediately got nr.5 and then nr.2. Still a little stumped on the rest, but now it’s coming together Smile

I did that in reverse: first 5, then 7, then the theme became obvious and 2, 3 and 9 quickly followed. The rest took a little more time. The first one actually had me stumped the longest (which I find strange in hindsight)...

Funny, I solved the top one first. At least the game is nice enough to acknowledge that you got something right. Laughing I spent a few minutes poking things and getting a feel for the interface, but was afraid to become too engrossed because I had to get to school. Based on my first impressions, there’s plenty of opportunity here to lose track of time. Grin

Anyway, this is my way of saying that I’d like to join. I got the game running in DOSBox, so I’ll be able to play even if I can’t get it to work in a pure DOS environment. Really looking forward to it, I’ve only heard good things about the game. And the fact that Josh Mandel himself might drop by is of course wonderful!

By the way, I think I saw a line of text mentioning The Fat Man during the launch of the game? Did he compose the music? If so, this just keeps getting better! Grin

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Seems everyone is so excited to get started that you dont even wait until 3/2 which was the proposed date. Tongue You win: Whoever has CCS working, can solve the contest, but dont go to Pyotr just yet!  Wait for all of the folks here. We are still waiting at least 5 more people to join the playthrough.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

harald - 30 January 2013 03:45 PM

this is my way of saying that I’d like to join.

Now the top investigation squad from TSB is complete. Welcome.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 30 January 2013 04:14 PM

Now the top investigation squad from TSB is complete. Welcome.

And ready to tackle the next bar with aliens… Tongue

I think we picked the game with the setting that’s the closest there is to TSB. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My game arrived from Amazon today.  I have to install Boxer on my iMac and see if the game will run okay, but I won’t get to it until tomorrow.  I’ll let you know asap if I’m in for sure.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Interesting that everybody has plunged into the riddles (which I disliked because I’m not good at them). Nothing about the intro, the bar itself, its patrons, the puns, the funny conversations…

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Greetings, everyone!

I’ve asked Jim Montanus, who was both Assistant Designer and Lead Programmer on the game, to stop in as well now and then. There’s a lot he probably remembers that I don’t.

I want to answer Timovieman’s question: yes, that is indeed Spider Robinson singing (any songs you hear sung in the game, Spider’s singing), and he’s playing with legendary guitarman Amos Garrett. Spider was thrilled to death to get to play with Garrett.

In fact, in the Introductions to a couple of the post-game Callahan’s books featured Spider’s take on the game and, especially, the music. At least one of those was republished online as a diary entry by Spider.

Josh

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I guess I’m in. Played for about 45 minutes, good stuff. Took some time to figure out how to get the game to display in proper 4:3 mode in DOSBox but it seems good now.

I live on Long Island, so I loved the Long Island puns. I will point out that “Wantaugh” is both spelled and pronounced wrong (Wantagh, pronounced wahn-taw not wan-tahg), but that’s forgivable.  Neutral

Also like that there was a reference to LILCO, the old monopoly power company which doesn’t even exist under that name anymore.

Question: I forgot to install the patch before starting. Is it worth starting again and just quickly skipping through dialogue I’ve already seen since saves are not compatible? Or should I just leave it be?

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Venkman - 31 January 2013 12:56 AM

I guess I’m in. Played for about 45 minutes, good stuff. Took some time to figure out how to get the game to display in proper 4:3 mode in DOSBox but it seems good now.

I live on Long Island, so I loved the Long Island puns. I will point out that “Wantaugh” is both spelled and pronounced wrong (Wantagh, pronounced wahn-taw not wan-tahg), but that’s forgivable.  Neutral

Also like that there was a reference to LILCO, the old monopoly power company which doesn’t even exist under that name anymore.

Question: I forgot to install the patch before starting. Is it worth starting again and just quickly skipping through dialogue I’ve already seen since saves are not compatible? Or should I just leave it be?

If you wanted to play this playthrough with us, then you are still in the Saloon all these 45 minutes, searching all options, probably done the contest as well and wait until 3/2 which was the deadline I gave to move through Pyotr’s chapter. In that case, yes, you should install the patch. Just note the contest answers in case you solved the contest so that you can answer them again. The dialogs in the Bar are not that many and most of them are fun IMO anyway…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 30 January 2013 06:21 PM

Interesting that everybody has plunged into the riddles (which I disliked because I’m not good at them). Nothing about the intro, the bar itself, its patrons, the puns, the funny conversations…

Well, I said a short few words about my very first impressions (which are limited to the intro and the riddles):

On the contrary, the intro movie appeared to be a throwback to Frank Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life”, and since I absolutely love that movie, we’re off to a good start!
Plus the graphics are to my liking. Thumbs Up

And I noticed the Spider Robinson folk songs:

Also: I read that Spider Robinson made 4 folk songs for the game. Does that mean that the song from the intro (and the two that play during the credits) are Spider’s, and that it’s him singing???

I didn’t want to play any further since the playthrough hadn’t officially started yet. I was merely checking if the game ran ok (which it did. Huray!)...

It seems like that’s entirely up to you. According to Sefir, he didn’t notice any of the problems that the patch is supposed to fix, so you could probably just go ahead and take the chance unpatched.

Sefir - 30 January 2013 01:22 AM

There is a 1.01 patch for Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon that perhaps you would like to check. It is supposed to stop some sudden “freezes” in the game (though I didn’t remember to meet any) plus some other minor improvements.

If you’re not far into the game (and you shouldn’t be - we haven’t even officially started yet Pan), you could just start over. Your choice.

Josho - 30 January 2013 07:05 PM

I’ve asked Jim Montanus, who was both Assistant Designer and Lead Programmer on the game, to stop in as well now and then. There’s a lot he probably remembers that I don’t.

Awesome!

Josho - 30 January 2013 07:05 PM

I want to answer Timovieman’s question: yes, that is indeed Spider Robinson singing (any songs you hear sung in the game, Spider’s singing), and he’s playing with legendary guitarman Amos Garrett. Spider was thrilled to death to get to play with Garrett.

In fact, in the Introductions to a couple of the post-game Callahan’s books featured Spider’s take on the game and, especially, the music. At least one of those was republished online as a diary entry by Spider.

Sounds like a lot of things just came together perfectly for this game.
Based on that diary entry, Legend had nothing to do with bringing Amos Garrett on-board, that was all Spider’s doing?

Also, it’s odd that Spider wasn’t interested at all in the game. Other writers usually are when someone else is adapting their work.
I remember the Discworld Noir credits mentioning Terry Pratchett under “Too much interference:”. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 31 January 2013 01:39 AM

It seems like that’s entirely up to you. According to Sefir, he didn’t notice any of the problems that the patch is supposed to fix, so you could probably just go ahead and take the chance unpatched.

According to Josh, the patch was released within days after the game shipped, because Take Two accidentally released the beta version in the box, not the approved, finished version.
Must say, I haven’t seen any significant differences so far, but my suggestion was that all participants should have the patch just in case.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I just discovered that there are some multiple solutions to this riddle. In the beginning, I was scrathcing my head badly, and made an attempt just typing in some of the most famous rock groups of the seventies that I could think of, and I got a match for Motorhead on nr. 4, but I still don’t understand how it fits with the clues. I kept looking at it, and then I came up with arrows and myth = aerosmith, which made a whole lot more sense, so I had to restart the game and try it, and aerosmith worked for nr. 4 too! Then I started to see if I could find additional alternate solutions to the other names, and I came up with another one for number 10 (in which I had initially put the rolling stones): thud+ores = the doors, and it worked too!
Anyone else found several solutions for one name? And can anyone explain to me how nr. 4 fits with Motorhead? Confused Got 8 out of 10 correct so far, and 2 solutions for 2 of them. I still can’t figure out nr. 1 and nr. 8 Confused

EDIT: I got nr.8 now, but I’m really clueless about nr. 1 Confused

Fien - 30 January 2013 06:21 PM

I was waiting till people gets set before saying too much, I didn’t wanna influence the first impressions for the rest of you Smile

The game does seem quite enjoyable, and I’ve allready had quite a few laughs to the vast collection of puns I’ve come across just in the bar. The voice acting is superb, and I like the graphics, though I must admit that I suspected that there was a graphical glitch when watching the intro. It looked like a conversation between two amoebas, and I was worried I’d been given a bad copy. Turns out, everything is as it should be, it was just me being graphically confused to the point where I had no idea what I was looking at Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

I’ll join too, but it will probably close to the first deadline that I will be able to play the first part.
Played it 10 years ago or so but I don’t remember many details (I liked it though).

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Dag - 31 January 2013 09:56 AM

I just discovered that there are some multiple solutions to this riddle.

I only knew about the last one, that had two answers. Well done in finding that the fourth had two answers too.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-06-02

PM

I never played this game before, but it looks very interesting (I usually love games with bars).

So if my English isn’t too bad for the first riddle I’d also like to join this playthrough. *grabs her dictionary*

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top