• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TerminusEst - 07 February 2013 05:36 PM

Looking forward to the next one. Sefir, is Josie’s next?

Yes. After we finish Pyotr, Josie’s story is next. But right now take a break before the appointed deadline.

Like Lady K, I also had the game freeze

Strange. The patch is supposed to fix these kind of things…
As for myself, I haven’t met any freezes in this chapter (the game is patched of course…)

Ok. I’m done with Pyotr’s quest. That was gobs of fun.

Lady Kestrel - 07 February 2013 09:04 PM

I finished Pyotr’s story, too.

I see that people finish (or are about to finish) the first chapter much faster than I thought (considering that this is the chapter with the game’s 2nd word puzzle as well)...Perhaps I need to re-evaluate the appointed days/chapter after this one…

Lady Kestrel - 07 February 2013 09:04 PM

I loved the werewolf’s reation when I stopped using a certain inventory item.  I felt like I should keep doing it to make him happy.  Smile

I know how you feel. I have a dog too. Smile

Bastich - 07 February 2013 07:12 PM

I’m eating a brownie as I type this. Yum!

With that avatar of yours, it is difficult to imagine you eating a brownie!  Tongue

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I wonder how much Legend Entertainment had paid F. Chopin for using his music in CCS.
Perhaps they didn’t pay anything since the guy is (quite long) dead. Cheapskates.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

I had several lock-ups this chapter. None were repeatable. I have the patch installed.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Sefir - 08 February 2013 01:34 AM

With that avatar of yours, it is difficult to imagine you eating a brownie!  Tongue

Grin Too funny, Sefir!  I wonder if the nuts get caught in his teeth.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I had a big freeze when I went into Casimirs for the first time. I had to replay a bit (silly me doesn’t save often enough). As for length of play time, I’m not sure if I can keep up with a faster playthrough. I’ve got a lot going on at the moment, hence why I started so late. I’ve caught up quite fast, but that’s mostly due to having soem time off, feeling ill so not doing a lot, and having played Pyotors chapter before, so having a vague sense of what to do.

About the game - I am loving it! The sense of humour is great, and I like the references to other things. The best part is the surprise quips - such as when you explore the buildings in downtown and wander off. I love that so many things have descriptions, and heaps of options to interact - I nearly lost it when the door talked back. The not so great for me is conversations finishing after one question, making me click on each person 3 or 4 times to have a conversation. Which used to take forever, and make me skip a lot of stuff. Now it’s super quick, so only mildly frustrating.

Is this the kind of stuff that’s good, or am I boring you guys? I have done play throughs before, but I never really know what to say…

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I like this game more and more with each new weird puzzle, with each new quirky comment (although my knowledge of American popular culture and language is not good enough to comprehend all the puns and jokes; I’ve seen a couple of American movies though, so, like an average Serbian Romanian, I know how twisted an American mind can get ).

I’m overwhelmed with the funny comments, so I play Callahan’s very slowly and enjoy every minute of it. I’ve never seen an adventure game with so many things to try and so many unique responses since Edna & Harvey.

P.S. CCS is like an encylop(a)edia of American pop-trivia: I rememeber there was a reference to one Pee-wee Herman in Peanuts (by C. Schulz), and now there is a spoof on him in CSS (Pee Wee Vermin ).

P.P.S. I laughed my sweet behind off this morning when I figured out how to get some local currency!
That is one of the best puzzles in any of the AGs I have played.

P.P.P.S. I miss Fien’s comments.

skeeter_93 - 08 February 2013 08:33 PM

Is this the kind of stuff that’s good, or am I boring you guys? I have done play throughs before, but I never really know what to say…

I think you’re doing fine (for an Australian, non-English speaker that is ).

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The best part is the surprise quips - such as when you explore the buildings in downtown and wander off.

Yeah, although the descriptions are so interesting that I’ve wished if you could sometimes actually see and follow Jake in such occasions. Smile Like Lord of the Rings reference at the roof. Grin

I love that so many things have descriptions

I agree - the game is oozing with “liveliness”. It also makes for a not-so-easy adventure to say the least, with so many hostposts flying around. It might not be “The Space Bar”, but whoever tells CCS is “easy” (and I’ve read a few comments) is either a madman or a lucky genius. Or Josh. Grin

and heaps of options to interact - I nearly lost it when the door talked back.

One of THE BEST gags ever Grin I laughed hard as it was totally unexpected, and especially because of the door’s voice acting. ‘Salright Grin

The not so great for me is conversations finishing after one question, making me click on each person 3 or 4 times to have a conversation.

Yeah, although I’ve kinda get used to it by now. I guess Josh and the rest of the team didn’t think their game was ALREADY hard enough Tongue so they wanted to torture us a little more. Actually, it’s an interesting system and I don’t remember seeing it in this amount in any other game. I say it’s interesting because sometimes you have to make a difference between “dialog exhausted” and “Wrong dialog choice, dummy!”, which makes a puzzle for itself, and one which is rarely seen. But I agree it can frustrate as well.

zobraks - 09 February 2013 07:03 AM

I laughed my sweet behind off this morning when I figured out how to get some local currency!

Great puzzle, because once the idea came to me I knew that was the right thing to do. Wink BTW, I’m not sure if I understood everything what happened there because [spoiler]my original idea was to beg for money by putting the box over my head AND using the chalk on table with the writing - “Help, I have no head!”. Now, I’m not sure if you can solve the puzzle without the written table or not, because I didn’t use it particularly at any of the hotspots [/spoiler]

Quick questions:

1. Do you think “door options” at Pyotr’s is the longest list of options at the single hotspot in history? Grin

2. Does Pyotr remind you of Christopher Walken?

I miss Fien’s comments.

Until Ms. Stalk-ien comes Tongue, here’s another:

Quote of the Day:

What if I told you he could really use a friend right now, and it sure as hell isn’t me?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 09 February 2013 07:56 AM

I laughed my sweet behind off this morning when I figured out how to get some local currency!

Great puzzle, because once the idea came to me I knew that was the right thing to do. Wink BTW, I’m not sure if I understood everything what happened there because [spoiler]my original idea was to beg for money by putting the box over my head AND using the chalk on table with the writing - “Help, I have no head!”. Now, I’m not sure if you can solve the puzzle without the written table or not, because I didn’t use it particularly at any of the hotspots [/spoiler]

I’m quite sure you had to write “Help, I have no head!” on the slate before you could beg for money (with the box on and open(ed), of course).

That’s James Spader, silly.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I’ve never done a playthrough before but I love reading other people’s comments! If nothing else, I am sure Josh Mandel loves hearing what people think about his baby.

I’ve seen a couple of American movies though, so, like an average Serbian Romanian, I know how twisted an American mind can get ).

Zobraks, you sounded like Jeeves Chives there. Have you seen Deliverance too by any chance? Grin

This is easily one of the most elegant puzzles in adventure games ever: the clues are purely visual but perfectly sufficient and strike the perfect balance between obvious and abstruse IMHO (and that is hard to pull off and incredibly rare these days), it requires thinking outside the box (or, rather, inside one Grin), and it opens up plenty of opportunities for laughs (e.g. if you try to give some bani to the poor beggars, the game scolds you that they are clearly looking for their missing body parts and not money).

Also, diego, if you try begging without the correct text on the tablet you get a gentle nudge wrapped in a comment from one of the beggars wrapped in a joke (like everything else).

Quick questions:

1. Do you think “door options” at Pyotr’s is the longest list of options at the single hotspot in history? Grin

My jaw hit the floor when I clicked the door… “Am I expected to go through all of these?” Good time was had by all eventually.

Haha, you are spot on! Even Pyotr’s voice actor seems to affect Walken’s delivery.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

TerminusEst - 09 February 2013 10:57 AM

I’ve seen a couple of American movies though, so, like an average Serbian Romanian, I know how twisted an American mind can get ).

Zobraks, you sounded like Jeeves Chives there. Have you seen Deliverance too by any chance? :-D

Yes, I saw Deliverance (the day after it had been screened on the local television it was the talk of the day in my school). Those were the days: Jon Voight was Jon Voight, not only “Angelina’s father” yet.
How did you know I have seen Deliverance?

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Your constant squealing gave it away. Wink Grin Naughty

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

zobraks - 09 February 2013 12:28 PM

How did you know I have seen Deliverance?

I didn’t Grin

TimovieMan - 09 February 2013 12:43 PM

Your constant squealing gave it away. Wink Grin Naughty

Wow! Gasp TimovieMan, you are one bad bad man. Grin

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

When first trying to get the bani, I started to panic at Jake’s reaction to the closed box and took it off in a hurry, not realizing that I could just open it.  Tongue

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2011-07-29

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 February 2013 04:01 PM

When first trying to get the bani, I started to panic at Jake’s reaction to the closed box and took it off in a hurry, not realizing that I could just open it.  Tongue

I got nervous as well, and just tried to keep in mind that the design philosophy most likely involves no deaths.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

JuntMonkey - 09 February 2013 04:27 PM

I got nervous as well, and just tried to keep in mind that the design philosophy most likely involves no deaths.

My thoughts exactly, but I still took no chances: I immediately took it off, saved my game, and then put it on again to see what would happen. Tongue

TerminusEst - 09 February 2013 03:55 PM

Wow! Gasp TimovieMan, you are one bad bad man. Grin

He knows I’m just jesting… Tongue
And if he doesn’t, we can always fight it out with a banjo duel. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top