• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 06 February 2013 07:45 AM

I got two of the word riddles (#4 and #5) without even looking at the dictionary!

I’d congratulate you if I didn’t know you’ve already played the game. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I experienced a freeze in the same place twice last night, at the end of the dialogue with Fugato just after the word puzzle.  Naturally, the first time I hadn’t saved my game for a while so I had to redo a bunch of stuff, but it did go much faster when I wasn’t stopping to read and try every little thing.  The third time I clicked quickly through the dialogue and got past the sticking point easily, but be warned.

By the way, I found the second word puzzle much harder than the first, so if you need a hint, just holler.  I have the answers memorized after going through them 3 times in a row.

I loved the bit with the jukebox, and the different ways you exit the trap get funnier the more trips you make.  This is now at the top of my list of the funniest games I’ve ever played.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 06 February 2013 10:05 AM

I found the second word puzzle much harder than the first, so if you need a hint, just holler.  I have the answers memorized after going through them 3 times in a row.

No!! There is a very logical solution and a way to figure (tip) the answers once you find the theme. At Wentworth’s, you can look at the various model figures from horror actors. The names are all there!!

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Of course! Dammit! I ended up googling a list of (subject), just assuming that all you US folks know your (subject) by heart Wink

By the way. I ran into a dead-end glitch: After taking the waxlips on and off several times just for fun, I suddenly couldn´t wear them when I needed to. Since I was convinced that I had the solution, I loaded, played to the same spot and no problem…

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Sefir - 06 February 2013 08:18 AM
zobraks - 06 February 2013 07:45 AM
skeeter_93 - 06 February 2013 06:01 AM

Okay, got it installed using the installer, but now the patch won’t work…

Uh-oh. I’m playing CCS with no patch installed. 

You can continue patchless (sic) if you like. That way however, it is possible that the game sometimes will “freeze” for no apparent reason (In that situation, it is said that restarting the game and loading latest saved game usually works fine).
Mind you, the first time I played the game, it was without the patch and I didn’t experience any problems then…

The first time I played CCS I had a major freeze in the second case and never could get past it. I’m on a different computer now so that might not happen again. Ah well. Anyone else with Win 7 used the patch? It says it’s not compatible with my windows. I’m just going to have to continue without it I think.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just copied the patch files to my CCS directory and launched it in DOSBox.

The only commands in DOSBox that you’d need for that are:

mount c c:\Games\Adventures\CCS (or whichever path you have it installed in)
c:
update

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

skeeter_93 - 06 February 2013 07:05 PM

Anyone else with Win 7 used the patch? It says it’s not compatible with my windows. I’m just going to have to continue without it I think.

I do (Win 7 64-bit). Using DOSBox 0.74 of course.
Remember, after you install the patch the game doesn’t recognize the pre-patched saves.

TimovieMan - 07 February 2013 01:04 AM

I just copied the patch files to my CCS directory and launched it in DOSBox.

The only commands in DOSBox that you’d need for that are:

mount c c:\Games\Adventures\CCS (or whichever path you have it installed in)
c:
update

Exactly that.
I think one of the patch files is a ReadMe file with instructions anyway.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Duck of Doom - 06 February 2013 02:10 PM

By the way. I ran into a dead-end glitch: After taking the waxlips on and off several times just for fun, I suddenly couldn´t wear them when I needed to. Since I was convinced that I had the solution, I loaded, played to the same spot and no problem…

I ran into the same bug and managed to replicate it. If you want to avoid triggering a dead-end bug: if you are wearing a certain fake body part, do not try to give it to an NPC before removing it! (EDIT: Or if you happen to do that anyway, hit Undo in the overhead menu right away.)

So far, I am enjoying the game tremendously even if puns are not my favorite kind of humor. But the game is self aware about it, which is refreshing. Plus there are plenty of things to tickle your funny bone even without the puns. Also the game’s pace fits perfectly with my playing schedule, which is about half an hour to an hour a day. I’ve managed to make a little progress with every session so far (even though I am a little stuck right now after leaving Casimir’s with Pyotr).

I will probably comment on Callahan’s universe down the line. For now, the thing that stands out for me the most is the crazy amount of detail - number of objects on screen, possible interactions, dialog paths etc etc. Clearly the game was a labor of love.

But not everything can be perfect… The short loops of music grow repetitive and annoyingly intrusive pretty quickly. It’s a pity one can’t access Spider’s lovely songs outside of Callahan’s…

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Piece of advice: When you find Pyotr, re-interact with everything (especially in the castle) as there are unique puns and comments from Pyotr as well.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TerminusEst - 07 February 2013 01:27 AM

For now, the thing that stands out for me the most is the crazy amount of detail - number of objects on screen, possible interactions, dialog paths etc etc. Clearly the game was a labor of love.

I agree completely.
And I want to thank Sefir for giving us two weeks per chapter, because I’m spending over an hour per screen just to read every little comment… Tongue

But not everything can be perfect… The short loops of music grow repetitive and annoyingly intrusive pretty quickly. It’s a pity one can’t access Spider’s lovely songs outside of Callahan’s…

That’s also the only remark I have so far.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 07 February 2013 01:37 AM

And I want to thank Sefir for giving us two weeks per chapter, because I’m spending over an hour per screen just to read every little comment… Tongue

You are welcome Smile

TimovieMan - 07 February 2013 01:37 AM
TerminusEst - 07 February 2013 01:27 AM

That’s also the only remark I have so far.

I also agree, though I would have put the word contests as a flaw as well.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

TimovieMan - 28 January 2013 12:48 PM

DOSBox ... really doesn’t use a lot of resources at all.

TimovieMan - 28 January 2013 01:05 PM

DOSBox doesn’t lower your computer’s productivity and speed at all, unless for the requirements of the games you’re trying to run.

diego - 28 January 2013 01:44 PM

DOSBox is not like a virtual machine. It’s just a teeny tiny program that takes ZERO of a modern computer power.

Maybe you’re right, but how come my pointer is so sluggish (while playing CCS in DOSBox) then?
The arrow hardly moves.
I have a 2007 laptop (too old for DOSBox? too old for 1997 game?) with XP.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

TimovieMan - 31 January 2013 01:39 AM

it’s odd that Spider wasn’t interested at all in the game.

There’s a very interesting story about that, and I’ll let Mr. Robinson tell it to you:

Spider Robinson (in CCS Adventurer's Survival Guide (1997)) - 31 January 2013 01:39 AM

I’m not much of a cyberguy. A website is maintained for me, but my own steam-powered Mac II can’t surf. I’m vaguely aware that alt.callahans is in the top 2% of Usenet newsgroups, with over 60,000 members, and that there are innumerable other Callahanian websites, chatlines, channels and forums throughout cyberspace - none of which I’ve ever visited. But to me Callahan’s Place has always been words on paper: nine books that have stayed in print for twenty-five years. (Tor Books will publish an omnibus of the first volumes in September of 1997.)

I also don’t play computer games; I’d already maxed my personal addiction-quota by the time they came along. When Legend Entertainment bough the rights to Callahan’s, I planned to spend the money and ignore the results.

My first clue that I was missing something came when Josh Mandel called up and fulfilled my heart’s dearest dream.

See, what I really wanted to be when I grew up was a folksinger.
I was on the verge when the industry collapsed in the early 70’s. So when Josh asked me to cut four songs for the game with my favorite guitar player of all time on lead… well, there are no words.

But grateful as I was to Josh, secretly I still wasn’t terribly interested in the game itself. I’d seen just enough computer games to know that my creation could not possibly be adapted to that format. Only a madman would try, and only a lucky genius could hope to pull it off…

Then last month Josh walked in my door with a laptop, said hello, and booted up this game. We broke twice to pee and make coffee, but both forgot to drink both cups. Fourteen hours later he closed up the laptop, shook my hand and drove back to Seattle. I never got to ask him how many wives he has or children he’s aware of or any of that social stuff; I barely had time to tell him that he is a madman and a lucky genius. But he already knew.

This is the best adaptation of a literary work I’ve seen since Phil Alden Robinson (no relation) turned my friend Bill Kinsella’s Shoeless Joe into Fields of Dreams. Somehow Josh captured not just the letter, but the zany spirit of my Callahan’s Place - and then added value of his own, producing a genuine tilted picnic. Thank God it’s not available for Mac! As it is, I’m going to be bugging the hell out of all my friends who have PCs.

So turn the page, and enter the labyrinthine byways of the twisted mind of Josh Mandel, the best collaborator I’ve never worked with.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I didn’t realise I needed to use the patch in DOSbox. I read the readme and got the files pasted over to the directory, but was trying to double click them in explorer to make them work. Thanks for the DOS text, I am not so good with that. Now I have the patch installed, and just have to replay through the bar until Pyotor.

I got most of the riddles, and quite enjoyed them, but I had played that bit years ago, so the answers were probably in the back of my mind. I did remember they were bands. Of the 3 or 4 I had trouble with, my mum looked over my shoulder and helped. With number 10 we were stumped, and raiding the CD rack. It’s funny how that seemed like creative thinking, when google felt like giving in, but they were basically the same thing.

zobraks, my game runs quite slow and sluggish too. It takes forever to do anything. I put it down to running an old game on a new computer. It played like that on my old XP computer as well though.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Thanks for the info zobraks. That was really touching! Smile

Spider Robinson (in CCS Adventurer's Survival Guide (1997)) - 31 January 2013 01:39 AM

Thank God it’s not available for Mac!

Lady K disagrees! Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top