• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1/3 Through Beyond a Steel Sky

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

I’m playing Beyond a Steel Sky. 1/3 of the way through and I’m moderately dissapointed. While it’s visually appealing I have yet to earn an emotional connection to anyone thus far.

As Foster, I’m not sure WHY I’m adventuring. There isn’t any emotional context. Unlike in the first game, there is what can be equated to genocide. The villain had a face. The adventure was real. Not in this case.

What is everyone else’s impression of BASS 2?

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

I just finished the game and imo it’s quite a mediocre adventuregame. I found the hacking tool a bit innovative and fun, and it has some references back to the first game. But other than that the game didn’t do much for me, and the “plot” is quite weak.

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Guybrush82 - 31 July 2020 05:53 PM

I just finished the game and imo it’s quite a mediocre adventuregame. I found the hacking tool a bit innovative and fun, and it has some references back to the first game. But other than that the game didn’t do much for me, and the “plot” is quite weak.

The Binos system is innovative but would you agree that it’s way too involved in the structure of the game?

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I liked the Minos puzzles, I don’t think they were too involved.

Overall, after finishing the game I think it was good but had a lot more potential and could have been much more.

Until the ending sequence I thought the game was cruising along in a fairly basic “save the kid” scenario, and then the end threw the game into a far more interesting moral and social conundrum. And I was thinking: why wasn’t the whole game about this? It’s like there were undertones of it all through the game, but they were too embarrassed to bring it out so they dumped it all in a long cutscene at the end. And it’s good material - with questions like what do people need in order to be happy? Can any society ‘make’ us happy? What would be the consequences of a society where we’re given everything we ‘need’? What even is this happiness we’re chasing after?

It’s an insult to players to think we’re not interested in these topics and they have to be included by stealth. And the characters didn’t need to be such caricatures, they can still entertaining on a more subtle level.

Overall it’s very much a 90’s mentality, that games must be entertaining at all costs. This game had the potential to retain the strengths of experienced developers - great design, big budget, strong characters and puzzles. While going in a more serious direction that we have seen in games since 2000, not just a basic “save the X” plot. That was a missed opportunity in my view.

Edit: I also feel the unique setting was misused. The opening was great, showing the Australian outback in what it might look in the future. Then once you’re in the city, you get a mish-mash of cultures and accents which made no sense in the context. Maybe there were limitations with voice actors and budget, but I think they were trying a form of mass-appeal. And again, it’s a case of having no confidence in your audience, as if we can only handle the American and English stereotypes we’re used to. Ironically it’s the kind of sterilized vision that the game itself criticizes.

I do hope there’s a sequel and the developers are able to build on this world, because it has the potential to be far more interesting.

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 31 July 2020 06:35 PM

The Binos system is innovative but would you agree that it’s way too involved in the structure of the game?

I think the Minos system, and hacking-tool is the only “unique” (and quite good) elements in the game, and the developers made it a big part of the game, mabye even too big as you mention.

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Vehelon - 31 July 2020 10:40 PM

I liked the Minos puzzles, I don’t think they were too involved.

Overall, after finishing the game I think it was good but had a lot more potential and could have been much more.

Until the ending sequence I thought the game was cruising along in a fairly basic “save the kid” scenario, and then the end threw the game into a far more interesting moral and social conundrum. And I was thinking: why wasn’t the whole game about this?

I totally agree with you on this. The whole “save the kid” plot felt very uninteresting, and (without spoiling anything) the ending was far more interesting.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Took about 11 hours to complete it but I enjoyed the game.

Loved almost everything about it, the graphics, the voice overs and meeting the old characters and some new ones.

Unfortunatly at launch it suffers from more than a couple of bugs from minor clashing of NPC, odd wardrobe changes on the main character, glitches into solid objects and one fatal crash to desktop. From the discord it seems bugs are a plenty and vary from set up to setup. Thankfully none of it for me was a game stopper.

I had a lot of fun playing with the hacking system to get random reactions, the control system was smooth and the story was both nostaligic with nods to the original, but continued the plot in satisfying manner.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

I love it guys and girls. Thanks so much for the insight. Can’t wait to power through to the end.
The game really is clean and smooth.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

So it’s fair to say it’s not the greatest game, and it could have been better. That applies to the original too.

All the same, I would like to give credit to Cecil and his team for not going down the “dark & gritty” path. It would have been so easy - given the setting - to make this game depressing and they didn’t go there. Instead it looks bright and sunny, and sometimes downright dorky.

Qdos to you, Revolution.

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

cyfoyjvx - 03 August 2020 09:17 PM

So it’s fair to say it’s not the greatest game, and it could have been better. That applies to the original too.

All the same, I would like to give credit to Cecil and his team for not going down the “dark & gritty” path. It would have been so easy - given the setting - to make this game depressing and they didn’t go there. Instead it looks bright and sunny, and sometimes downright dorky.

Qdos to you, Revolution.

Oh I think it’s very dark, but it’s all hidden in symbolism. The theme is so sunny that it’s creepy. Like you said, it’s far from gritty thus far but neither was Willy Wanka’s Chocolate factory and we all know that those kids never really made it out of Wanka’s factory…..or maybe I never finished the movies Wink

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Yes you’re right, and I’m talking about visual themes more than the story content. The Revolution team would have been well aware that “bright and sunny” does not sell games, yet the future that BASS depicts depends on the dark reality not being fully out in the open, and hidden from sight. There are strong tones of Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World in the creepiness of a society that looks perfect but is very rotten underneath.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Will not play this game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top