• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ultrawide supported adventure games

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-06-19

PM

I just got an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor and it’s glorious for aaa gaming:)
Adventure games is more troublesome regarding the ultrawide resolutions it seems, with black bars or a strech out images being the norm for UW.

There must be some newer titles that natively supports UW though?
Suggestions are most welcome.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2004-02-26

PM

Came here for the same so let me bump the topic.

There are way more chances to find ultra wide support in adventures that use a 3D engine, so for example, Obduction is a good one. Obduction btw also has an incredible sound design in 5.1 if you have that. Just remember to bump the FOV.

But among the third person adventures, one that totally surprised me is Irony Curtain. Ultra wide support and it looks quite awesome on it.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As Risingson stated, I’d imagine as well 3D titles to be your best bet. 2D and 2.5D games usually restricted to those dimensions they were made because of obvious limitations of 2D graphics and the additional work they’d need to properly function beyond their original dimensions.

But as I don’t have an ultrawide screen myself, I can’t tell if any of the modern 3D adventures utilize that particular aspect ratio.

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

Little Misfortune does. Enjoy your monitor, 1 of my best purchases

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I hate to shill for my own game but, since we started working on it back when ultra-wide wasn’t a thing, and we had to sit down and manually paint and expand 50+ environments containing tons of layers, I’ll do it, damn it. Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure. There! 😛

But seriously, it’s crazy how fast the whole resolution standard moved. The baseline screen size for our next game is now 3840x2160, and I’d advise devs to try and do the same.

(It’s also a sore spot for me, since I can never have an ultra-wide on account of working on a Cintiq, they just don’t fit together no matter how much space you’d have. First world problems…)

Joined 2004-02-26

PM

I have Gibbous in my wishlist so I will eventually buy it. If I haven’t already. My backlog is out of control completely.

Yeah I am also surprised on how the resolution standard has changed. I never thought an ultrawide would be a desireable thing, but now that I have it, God, I have space for everything and low level multitasking is so much easier. I would say that gaming is the least of its advantages!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m eying on ultrawide myself as well. I currently have two display connected to my main computer because it gives me more real estate, but after I saw my brothers UW screen, I’ve become to covet one as well. It just makes so much more sense.

Joined 2004-02-26

PM

Supplementman - 10 December 2020 08:57 AM

Little Misfortune does. Enjoy your monitor, 1 of my best purchases

Why did you say so? It doesn’t, the developers explicitly say that the game was done for 16:9 and I played the game today and it definitely does not play in any ultra wide resolution.

EDIT: mr Underhill, Gibbous looks AMAZING in ultrawide and that is my one minute review

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Yep. For 2D and 2,5D games the ultra wide means a whole new level design task as well. My game [yes, I am also pluggin’ in my game GRUNND here] is 2.5d and made as a platformer. Technically I can support Ultra-Wide no problem, especially that it’s already in 4K support, but that would require, if I want to keep the story-telling aspect intact, basically make two games, as the Ratio is so-so different. 4:3, 16:9, 16:10… they are still in the same ballpark. 2.37:1 is not Smile

The change is too drastic in some cases. If you put into equation money and time - indies usually cannot afford that. I surely can’t. Smile

GRUNND.COM
A game, occasional podcast.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top