• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Flight of the Goby (Work title)

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

Flight of the Goby - is a Work-in-progress point&click; game, I’m currently developing.
I’m planning to release it in browser on Kongregate, and wanted to get some feedback before releasing it - and also in the development state - from people who are a little more seriously into adventure games then myself.

https://www.indiedb.com/games/flight-of-the-goby-work-title/images/new-images1#imagebox

The story is about a spaceship, to which a smaller, unidentified ship gets connected to, while on route to its destination, and the player must somehow disconnect the damaged ship, so they can continue on their way.

I’ve been developing small, escape-game like point&click; games before (a few years ago), and always wanted to try creating something, that is in 3d, but still has the same one-mouse-controllable, no-camera-control type gameplay style.
I have created a very short game two weeks ago, called “Serpent’s caverns escape”, ( https://www.kongregate.com/games/blackgobygames/serpents-caverns-escape ) in about two days (I have done some changes on that since), and - at least I think - the 3d-but 2d-like gameplay seems to be working there pretty well.

p.s.: I’m quite new on this site, if this thing (opening a topic for my WIP game) is not allowed on the forum, or is on the wring thread (not sure, if this is being considered viral marketing), please let me know in private message, after being deleted, thank you!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Telling us about your new game is definitely allowed! The look reminds me a bit of Mission Critical, which I think has to be a good thing.

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

Phlebas - 23 April 2020 05:48 AM

Telling us about your new game is definitely allowed! The look reminds me a bit of Mission Critical, which I think has to be a good thing.

I haven’t heared of this game (Mission Critical),I’ve checked it (walkthrough), and it looks very nice, I love the graphics, it’s a quite good point&click; adventure. The environment is quite similar, the ship in my game will be much smaller, but I’ll try filling all screens with multiple interactive elements, but the gameplay will be much closer to 15-20 minutes than 3 hours - i was quite surprised, how incredibly long that walkthrough was Smile .

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

And you know, walkthroughs are (usually) done by someone who knows what they are doing. Mission Critical took me a lot longer than 3 hours to finish…

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

I’ve implemented a small conversation system.

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

Some images of the ship

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

Hello all, the demo of the game is out on itch.io:
Flight of the Goby demo

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Well, I had a nice few minutes with the demo during my lunchbreak. Hooray for web-playable game engines!

A few thoughts:
* Is there a definite end to the demo? I just seemed to have run out of places I could access.
* It’s a nicely drawn environment. The background sound really adds to the feel of the location.
* Puzzles (at least the ones I found) were very basic (I may have missed something - see above!). This is the start of the game, though - plenty of scope for more complications later!
* The text materializing from changing characters is kind of cute but infuriatingly slow, especially on longer lines of text. Maybe have the whole line appear at once and make it resolve quicker?
* I can only get the inventory view to show me one object (my access card), even if I click the eye icon next to a different object.
* Will the finished game have a save facility? I don’t know how easy that is to do with the web runtime.
* Is ‘cabin’ the right word for the thing that’s attached to the ship?
* I look forward to exploring the ship more in the finished game!

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

Phlebas - 23 July 2020 09:26 AM

Well, I had a nice few minutes with the demo during my lunchbreak. Hooray for web-playable game engines!

A few thoughts:
* Is there a definite end to the demo? I just seemed to have run out of places I could access.
* It’s a nicely drawn environment. The background sound really adds to the feel of the location.
* Puzzles (at least the ones I found) were very basic (I may have missed something - see above!). This is the start of the game, though - plenty of scope for more complications later!
* The text materializing from changing characters is kind of cute but infuriatingly slow, especially on longer lines of text. Maybe have the whole line appear at once and make it resolve quicker?
* I can only get the inventory view to show me one object (my access card), even if I click the eye icon next to a different object.
* Will the finished game have a save facility? I don’t know how easy that is to do with the web runtime.
* Is ‘cabin’ the right word for the thing that’s attached to the ship?
* I look forward to exploring the ship more in the finished game!

Thank you for the detailed feedback!
The text thing is disturbing, on my computer it ran way faster, and I realised that in html5 it is much slower - now there is an option for turning off text effects and the texts just appear.

The demo does have an ending (ending screen) it might just be hard to find.

The puzzles will be quite basic at least in the beginning, maybe towards the end of the short story, some more complex tasks will be needed.

Saving will definitely be a feature, I’d like to use this project for the basis for other p&click; projects, so I really want to be ready with this function too.

The “see” button error is just that: an actual unfinished feature, I decided that maybe the player can’t examine every single object, only the ones, with which it makes sense, I’ll work on that too.
The description by the way (the play button) also only gives the entry card description, I’ll add some new descriptions for the other objects.

Joined 2020-04-21

PM

I’ve uploaded a new version - now the game runs much faster, and there are some additional graphics sounds and music as well.
I’ll try implementing graphics options as well, so users can adjust the graphics to their systems.

https://blackgobygames.itch.io/flight-of-the-goby

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top