• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Sherlock Holmes game: Crimes & Punishments

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

wael - 29 January 2013 02:42 AM

@Graypierce
About Baskervilles, it was my choice to make it casual, Baskervilles is an excellent casual game, it is one of the most downloaded apps for BigFishGames and I can say that commercially it’s a success, it was also Waterlily first casual to perform extremely well (it is the 5th casual game of the studio), just to say that Casual and adventure are truly different even if they share a lot of common elements.

Why casual because we couldn’t have made a big adventure title of it, without completely rewriting it, and changing the story deeply :in the book, Holmes is absent 90% of the time for one, the locations are few and the character pretty shady, there is no room for puzzle or the main protagonist, what would remain of the mystery after 3 hours of gameplay? if you watch the ‘56 version with Peter Cushing, the story is trampled to the death to fit the needs of an action movie of that time. And that I wouldn’t do for an adventure game.

So as soon as we HAD to modify the story of Baskerville to make a game, we would rather create a completely different story.  I wanted the Supernatural to be really supernatural and so on. You can call us “Heretics” but we choose fun over mild adaptation.

I see, that does make sense on some level but if it’s a completely different story then why still call it “The Hound of the Baskervilles”? Obviously I’m nitpicking here but I still wonder. Also I have to admit I didn’t see the Peter Cushing version. In fact I didn’t even see the Basil Rathbone version. Just the Ian Richardson, Jeremy Brett, Richard Roxburgh and Benedict Cumberbatch versions so maybe I’m a bit spoiled when it comes to adaptations.

About Crimes and Punishments, some of the canonicals novelettes are present, as they are short, they can be inside an adventure game, we changed them slightly but not too much, their spirit is respected. The gameplay of Crimes and Punishments is adapted to the short stories.

I see. That sounds very intriguing. If my laptop can run it I’ll definitely buy this upcoming title as well.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Siddhi - 28 January 2013 11:42 PM
Oscar - 28 January 2013 04:07 PM

No, I’m questioning Sherlock Holmes being a subject in a computer game without the player being given the challenge worthy of the world’s greatest detective. If Frogwares wants to give us the chance to be Holmes without any chance of getting stuck and avoiding anything hard, then it is not letting us play as Holmes at all.

Why not? The idea is to feel like you are holmes. Have all the fun parts of being holmes without any of the annoying parts. Thats why it is a game instead of real life. Getting stuck is one of the annoying parts. Examining scenes, examining objects and making deductions is the fun part.

Hmm you both have some excellent points, like Oscar i belive that playing world’s greatest detective should provide you with some real challenges. But i also found that SHvsAL was simply too hard, and as Siddhi says the idea is to make you feel like you are Holmes.

I guess that challenge is to make the game difficult enough to make the players feel like they have achieved something, but not so difficult that most players will constantly get stuck.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 29 January 2013 11:09 AM

I guess that challenge is to make the game difficult enough to make the players feel like they have achieved something, but not so difficult that most players will constantly get stuck.

That’s a thin line that’s in a different place for different players, so my guess is that this is extremely hard to pull off.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve read all of the info about the new Sherlocks game - I’m wondering what they’re upto - but I just know that whatever they’ve got in mind will suit & appeal to a range of different ways of playing!

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

New video for Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t8M6PRmgeWI

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

Hi AG!

Olga is here, thought of sharing the link to the devblog for the upcoming game. It is mainly me who is running the blog, so its full of my thoughts about the games we make, sometimes very personal. Basically its the place I share where we are at the current stage of development, with sketches and artwork, concepts and ideas, so on and so force. The latest one was dedicated to game environments: 

http://devblog.sherlockholmes-thegame.com/

If you have any suggestions on what you want to see there, you are warmly welcome to share.

Thanks!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Olga - 01 May 2013 05:31 AM

If you have any suggestions on what you want to see there, you are warmly welcome to share.

Thanks!

Hi Olga. My question is Big Danny going to be in the new game? (please!) Smile

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

Zifnab - 01 May 2013 06:11 AM
Olga - 01 May 2013 05:31 AM

Thanks!

Hi Olga. My question is Big Danny going to be in the new game? (please!) Smile

Danny is indeed a memorable character :-) 
She could be there but not that I heard of at the moment.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Just finished Testament. Like the Awakened, Arsene and Ripper games, this was a very satisfying adventure. The only disappointment for me was that it had to end.  Cry

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments Debut Trailer

(Debut? I though there were at least dozen of them, already Smile)

Anyway, it’s clearly Frogwares are improving in terms of graphics in every new game (though, lip-synch and voice acting leave something to be desired), though I don’t dig this “Sherlock” TV show flying text touches Shifty Eyed

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Wow! I’m looking forward to see this new game. It looks very interesting.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Looks good, the “floaty air text clues” remind me of BBC’s Sherlock - a good move.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can’t they do a modern Sherlock like the BBC series? That would be cool and the style does remind me of it. Punching mini-game QTE…

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

I don’t remember SH vs AL being that hard. Perhaps it’s time for another play through to refresh my memory.

I enjoyed Testament of Sherlock Holmes a lot and didn’t find that it went too far down the casual road. I am a bit concerned that this game will be more casual though but I won’t criticize it until I know more about it. I’ll probably still play it even if it is a fairly casual game as I do enjoy some of the more clever casuals but I admit that I will be a little disappointed if it ends up that way.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

CoyoteAG - 31 January 2014 12:18 PM

I don’t remember SH vs AL being that hard.

Well I do Wink
Though I still loved it.

Anyway this does look very promising.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top