• News
  • Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

retro review three broken sword 3

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I am playing through broken sword 3 as I continue to do retro reviews and thoughts. I decided to put space quest 6 on hold bc I really wasnt enjoying it much. I am still going through broken sword 3, I am just about to go to Egypt. here are my thoughts so far.

I am really enjoying the game so far. I played it once back on my original xbox when I rented it from blockbuster and I remember liking it a lot, but not remembering much of the puzzles besides moving boxes and I did not remember much of the story either. Broken sword 3 and 4 I only played once, while bs1 and bs2 I have beaten multiple times and bs5 I have beaten twice.

I bought this game on steam, it is on sale right now. I know most folks hate the control scheme, but I am using my xbox 360 game pad and the game works great with it. The game installed fine and runs well. I did have it crash twice on me when I was exiting the save screen however, but a simple restart worked everytime.

Graphics
This game has aged pretty well, Is it as beautiful as bs1 or bs2 oh heck no, but it is still a really good looking game, with some decent animations especially facial animations. the backgrounds could have been a little better, and the environment seems really sparse.

Sound
Wow this might have the best voice acting in any of the broken sword games, I really like the actress who played nico this time around. Rolf Saxon, as always is money as george and the rest of the cast is great to above avg. I really like the irish tv host lol. The music and sound effects are also great.

Story
Wow I forgot just how much the uncharted games borrowed from broken sword especially broken sword 3. Nate is a more athletic version of george but he is the same basic character archetype as george stobbart aka a good guy with a wicked sense of humor. The opening sequence with the plane crash in bs3 is just like the start of uncharted 2, just instead of a plane it is a train in uncharted 2. Anyways I find the story in this one to be really good and engrossing. This game ties bs1 and bs2 together nicely with just enough fan service. I thought revolution went overboard with fan service in bs5. I love how the story ties back to the Templars of bs1 with george actually becoming a knight for them .

Gameplay
I can see why nobody would want to play this game with a keyboard but with a controller it is actually quite fun. This is a true adventure/action game. where most games are action/adventure games where action comes first like tomb raider or uncharted, bs3 still puts the puzzles first, but does have a lot more action peppered in than I remember. I can see why if you are an adventure game purist this might not work for you but as a lover of many different types of genres, I find it to be quite fun. Is there way too many block puzzles, oh heck yes. But there are some really good traditional puzzles thrown in as well.

Overall
Like I said i havent beaten the game yet, but I am really far in and I think this game aged far better than broken sword 4. My list usually goes bs1,bs2,bs5,bs3,bs4 but bs3 might leapfrog bs5, I am not sure yet. Overall a solid 8 to 9 outta 10 so far.

Total Posts: 2138

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Another great review. Keep it up, they are very good reads.

bs3 might leapfrog bs5

Huh, no. Please replay Broken Sword 5 again.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on handheld systems- PS VITA, Nintendo DS and ipad mini.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Mikekelly - 24 March 2020 09:53 PM

Another great review. Keep it up, they are very good reads.

bs3 might leapfrog bs5

Huh, no. Please replay Broken Sword 5 again.

Heart

I just did not long ago, the gameplay in bs5 is far better than bs3, however i like the characters especially the villains better in bs3.

Total Posts: 241

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I also thought BS3 was better. I can’t remember much about BS5 at all, it seemed like a poor imitation of BS1.

I would like to try BS4 again now I have a controller (it’s unplayable on keyboard IMO). Maybe if it comes up in a community playthrough I will.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 24 March 2020 10:10 PM

I also thought BS3 was better. I can’t remember much about BS5 at all, it seemed like a poor imitation of BS1.

I would like to try BS4 again now I have a controller (it’s unplayable on keyboard IMO). Maybe if it comes up in a community playthrough I will.

Part 1 of bs5 is great part 2 falls apart some.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Just beat bs3 and i really did enjoy my time with it again. Great story good puzzles minus 10 too many block puzzles. My biggest complaint like all broken sword games is the ending is a bit anti climatic, which is sad bc originally this was supposed to be the end of the series. Overall a solid 8.5 outta 10.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!