• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s the worst AG and why?

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I always feel a bit sorry for the developers when badmouthing a game, but sometimes they’ve just aked for it. I found the first Art of Murder installment particularly bad - I can forgive a game being formulaic, but it has to have some redeeming quality, which was not the case here. Actually I found it so dull that I didn’t even play through the sequels even though I had them at hand (got the three of them at once in a bundle, so no big loss). But I think the one to really take the biscuit is Mata Hari. Terrible minigames tied together in a terrible scenario - I even have qualms about calling it an adventure game. Sad thing, because such a mythical-slash-historical figure could have had potential.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

You guys are not familiar with bad enough games. Behold, Les Manley in Search for THE KING!

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

LOL Diego Grim Fandango is definitely not the worst AG I’ve ever played, however I am kind of embarrassed to admit that I gave up on it. 

Early in the game in the tube room, I got stuck on a puzzle, and I knew what to do, just missed part of the scenery, and then I got stuck immediately after that with the attack pigeons, and then I got stuck after that with the fire animal things.  I tried everything I thought, and eventually looked up the solutions.  My point is once I understood how the game expected me to think, then it’s logic became fairly reasonable.  But trying to figure it out without any help made me crazy!  I decided maybe I’ll just ignore it until I forget the puzzle solutions, and then I’ll try to beat the game again.

Nicky, I truly think that as an art form, games have to be open to criticism.  And something I’ve learned as an interpreter is that the person and the work are separate.  Sometimes a person doesn’t do great, but it doesn’t devalue the person, and they are able to learn from criticism. 

And in a world where we are inundated by media, I need to know what to avoid.  I have a limited time on this Earth, but I’m going to beat as many games as I can ^_^

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I, too, have a hard time bad-mouthing a game that a developer has put his heart and soul into. but, for me, Night of the Rabbit was something that I never finished. it just was too much running around or something. but, I do hope to finish it one day. I think it might be a good game and maybe just my personality at the time was not on par with the game.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Truberbrook from last year was really bad to me. I was excited for it initially because of the unique visual style. Bought it day one and it was one of the most disappointing experiences I’ve had play an adventure game. Puzzles solve themselves due to the absurdly streamlined interface and the story is horrible.

There’s a twist with one character at the end that’s so laughably unearned that I’m not sure why I even finished the game.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I used to list adventure games in order of subjective quality after finishing them. Stopped doing so years ago, but the ones at the bottom of that list, consisting of around 250 games, are Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria, Egypt II, The Arrangement and Majestic: Alien Encounter. Can’t really remember what made me dislike these so much, apart from Gilbert Goodmate, which I found utterly boring, with long pointless conversations with stereotype and equally boring characters. One of the few games I abandoned before the ending credits. I can usually enjoy even really bad adventure games, from a kind of meta-perspective, but this one was just too much.

I’m sure some games played since then would have found a place on that part of the list, but I can’t come up with any right now. I could mention some that were disappointing in relation to anticipation but that doesn’t mean any of them was the worst game ever created.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Celebreon - 05 March 2020 05:02 PM

LOL Diego Grim Fandango is definitely not the worst AG I’ve ever played

Diego just poked fun by nominating GF (one of the best AGs ever) when he saw Dracula: Resurrection mentioned in this thread.

I had the same idea.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

diego - 05 March 2020 07:59 AM

Grim Fandango

The Longest Journey Wink

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Veovis - 06 March 2020 03:27 AM

I used to list adventure games in order of subjective quality after finishing them.

I do that too!
I also add some other information in the excel file, such as release dates and game engines so that it’s easy to find out “what’s the best game done with engine X according to my notes” and so on.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

GateKeeper - 06 March 2020 08:55 AM

I used to list adventure games in order of subjective quality after finishing them.

I do that too!
I also add some other information in the excel file, such as release dates and game engines so that it’s easy to find out “what’s the best game done with engine X according to my notes” and so on.

Cool! Smile

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Celebreon - 04 March 2020 11:01 AM

Doom, I think we can disagree without getting offended.  Like, I’m stoked that Mikekelly likes a game I do not like, and has gone on to support other releases in the series.  And if someone here is easily offended, then I would like to introduce you to Ransome the *bleep*in’ insult clown.
(And as far as it being unpopular, I’ve never gotten this much participation on anything I’ve ever posted, see discussion on puzzle design.  And in my defense, I searched the forums before I posted this)

I’m not easily offended, but some people do. There was at least one such thread many years ago which led to some drama Smile Well, ok, I’m a bit offended by that Myst review, but mainly because of the reviewer who was given a proper definition by SpeedBo.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

GateKeeper - 06 March 2020 08:55 AM

I do that too!

Can these notes become public, and or can they be translated to something like GOG lists?  I would love to know more about these!

(Obviously Myst, Grim Fandango, and The Longest Journey are not the worst, but there is something to be seriously said about some of their design elements.  I used to have long beautiful hair, and then I started the longest journey, and now I only have bald spots in between more bald spots.)

Earlier on Phantasmagoria 2 was mentioned, and while I’m really not going to sit here and defend the over all game play and puzzles;  I did want to point out that I really liked a lot of the characters.  Although exaggerated, I felt like I know some of these people in real life, at least early on.  The seductress, the less painfully stereotype gay friend, the dweeb-y nerd type (I’m in love), the weird therapist, and even small character dialog choices like implying that Curtis really loves Trevor as well, and his desire to protect his loved ones.

I appreciate the FMV in phantas2 especially over the preceding phantas1, impressive, but aged poorly.

For me, it does a good job of feeling painfully real (in a boring way) and developing into feeling like an episode of X-files or maybe goosebumps.  I guess that was an itch I just needed to have scratched at the time.  In contrast to the actual x files game, that I’ve already complained of at length.

Don’t worry, I’m about to finish this adventure game, I’ve can’t find discussed on the forum, and my opinion of it is pretty positive, so look forward to having a new recommendation!!

Hey do you guys think that these two are Syd and Bernard Cool  Nerd
?

EDIT:  I also forgot that I kind of have this debate about media in general often;  You are allowed to like bad movies, games etc, and being technically good, is not the same as being fun.  Sometimes I just love a bad thing.  Have you guys played monsterseed on ps1?  Jesus christ that game is a mess, but I just love it.  I have a load of fun playing, but I can’t recommend it to anyone…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Its hard enough to tell the best and i think claiming the worst is much harder
but here are some titles i guess they are a waste of money for me and would be the same for anyone else too.

Midnight Nowhere: like the devs were thinking of how to screw the players with unsolvable puzzles, i think they have gotten the scene evolution wrong at the time when games-like Riven and Myst were booming which were also on the hard take, that it is alright to make a game like this.

The Watchmaker: i have no idea how the devs of Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy and ark of Time, comes up with this tiresome investigating, hollow game; walking around for long minutes and period of times mostly with nothing and no one to interact with. just fuckung Hollow.

Myst V: what they thinking of making a whole game pointing out but nuthin than the player drawing on a board. i ‘ve gotten it wrong twice and i was sent as if i had solved it correctly, only with the wrong sketch, they even haven’t had the function of the new mechanism well enough.

The Rockin’ Dead: Garbage

Les Manley 2: Lost in L.A.: i loved Search for the king, as it wasn’t entirely LSL themed.
but now they thought they can make it even sexier with playboy FMVs. terrible!

Dream Web: Isomtirc like Stasis and Sanitarium are good enough with better dimension than just Bird-Eye-view, maybe the story is good and even groundbreaking in violence.. but you don’t see nothing but PAC-Men moving,  i would love to see a remake for it bc it had great potential but it was nevertheless horrible

Quest for Glory 5: Dragon Fire: Sierra’s one of its early betrayal shot as Mask of Eternity

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Advie - 12 March 2020 09:31 PM

Quest for Glory 5: Dragon Fire: Sierra’s one of its early betrayal shot as Mask of Eternity

So in my deep love for QFG, I still plan to play 5 after I get unstuck on 4.  But I’ve seen enough preview screenshots and stuff to know that I’m apprehensive about it.  But I think opinions tend to be all over the place for the series in general. 

It’s so weird how some franchises just did not know what to do in the newer 3d-centric game worlds, but some nailed it.  I don’t mind a good mix of genres like Legend of Zelda, but it’s easy to forget there are inventory object puzzles in the game at all because they are so sporadic compared to the other game mechanics.

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

There have been plenty of adventure game stinkers over the years, but in my experience none of them hold a candle to ‘Who’s Fat Lou?’.  Horrible.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top