• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckydanigarSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why did adventure games become popular in Germany?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

LoL Grin

But isn’t that Swiss?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Dag - 18 May 2013 08:08 AM

LoL Grin

But isn’t that Swiss?

Bayreuth!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-02-19

PM

Adventure games are a very popular genre in all of Europe, not just Germany. It just so happens that one of the biggest adventure game companies, that constantly churns out one excellent game after another, is located there.
Other adventure game studios exist across Europe. They are just not that big of an influence as Daedalic at the moment.

As to why adventure games are not that popular in the USA… well, probably because we’re smarter over here Wink

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-05-15

PM

Daedalic was found in 2007 so that doesn’t explain why the genre was so popular in Germany late 90s / early 00s. I still think that the popularity is caused by something that took place already in the 90s.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-02-19

PM

Adventure games were very popular over the entire Balkans at that time, probably wider, so it was not only Germany. Seeking one seminal moment of insight as to why, is futile.

Until today it remains a popular genre. Unfortunately, kids today do not appreciate adventure games anymore in favour of FPS/action games. It is because of the difference in upbringing and their attention span’s narrowing. I see this happening more and more.
Adventure games here are very popular with us 25+ audiences.

And you should ask yourself, why was Daedalic founded in the first place? Because of their love of adventure games. However, Croatia, Serbia, Spain, Hungary had developed adventure games in the 00s, some receiving at least a certain amount of recognition.

We are the generations that grew up on Monkey Island, on Sanitarium, on Grim Fandango; we played Fallout 1/2 and the Thief series, and lots of other things. It was a time when we wanted to read good stories, when we wanted to watch good movies, when we wanted to enjoy the good things games had to offer. And there is that simple magic that adventure games offer, that can’t really be surpassed if done right.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-06-21

PM

I think it really has to do with the german mind set. Ever heard of the term ‘German Head’? No? Well maybe I just came up with it. Anyway, AG, who are more puzzle oriented than anything else, stimulate the german brain more than any other genre. And maybe it has also to do with their intrinsic pacifistic attitude against violence after their second WW experience which leads them towards more peaceful solution based gaming.
With regards to Japan who are historically quite similar to Germany and also have a flourishing AD-industry.
Best wishes from Switzerland

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Bernhardinski - 21 June 2017 04:29 AM

I think it really has to do with the german mind set. Ever heard of the term ‘German Head’? No? Well maybe I just came up with it. Anyway, AG, who are more puzzle oriented than anything else, stimulate the german brain more than any other genre. And maybe it has also to do with their intrinsic pacifistic attitude against violence after their second WW experience which leads them towards more peaceful solution based gaming.
With regards to Japan who are historically quite similar to Germany and also have a flourishing AD-industry.
Best wishes from Switzerland

Maybe a nice theory but I noticed the German rip-offs are mostly based on Lucasarts mould, not puzzle intensive games like Myst etc. I think they are attracted to humour and storyline more than anything else.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Myst isn’t puzzle-intensive, it has 11 puzzles. It’s pure in the sense there’s nothing to do but solve the puzzles, so maybe that’s what you mean.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Well sure, if you want to be pedantic, that isn’t true either. You spend a lot of time reading notes explaining the backstory, and exploring the environment. A game where there’s nothing to do but solve the puzzles would be something like The Fool’s Errand.

Also… you spelled your username wrong. Assuming you meant Anthrax, the infectious disease and 80s thrash metal band from New York.

Good day to you, sir Smile

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Oh wow, in 13 years nobody ever told me the disease is spelled Anthrax until you came along. Thanks dude.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top