• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamBeckyKeybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #54: Blade Runner

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

I am a bit behind in the playthrough because I was on the move the last few days for vacation purposes. Now that I’ve reached my destination, I’ll hopefully be able to pick it up where I left it.

McCoy97 - 04 August 2019 02:51 PM

As this is only your first playthrough, only reveal this spoiler if you REALLY want to know the truth about Dektora…..... Unless I missed something in the last 20+ years of playing this game, Dektora is ALWAYS a replicant. Some of the other characters can be human or rep, but not Dektora Smile

There is something about Dektora but that is not it Smile She can be human (she is one of the characters that their nature is randomized at the start), but as far as I know it’s not really possible to trigger an ending with her (as a romance option) when she is human. Again, not in the vanilla (original) game.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Oh shit, she can??? Damn, well then ignore what I said danigar Tongue Maybe then she’s a human in your game lol, who knows. Can’t remember that I ever got a human result VKing her. And maybe I thought she’s always a rep because of the endings you can get with her.

Oh well, in my game again she was a rep. Now a retired rep hehe.

So I know Lucy is either human or rep, same with Gordo, Izo and now Dektora apparently. Clovis is always a rep obviously and I assume also Sadik, Zuben and the twins. Sadik I’m not too sure about though because I can’t remember if there’s ever any confirmation about what he is. And then Grigorian is always human right? Can’t remember what the deal is with Bob. That’s everyone I think right stroggoff?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

McCoy97 - 05 August 2019 03:53 PM

So I know Lucy is either human or rep, same with Gordo, Izo and now Dektora apparently. Clovis is always a rep obviously and I assume also Sadik, Zuben and the twins. Sadik I’m not too sure about though because I can’t remember if there’s ever any confirmation about what he is. And then Grigorian is always human right? Can’t remember what the deal is with Bob. That’s everyone I think right stroggoff?

In the 2nd replay of my game Sadik has an interesting background More about that next week when we get to the various endings!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One thing about this game is the fact that it does have various endings, I am looking forward to reading all the different ones people get next week.

This game does have a lot of replay ability because it is not as linear as some adventure games.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Yup and certain endings involving a certain character are just plain terrible and wrong

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 06 August 2019 06:45 AM

One thing about this game is the fact that it does have various endings….....

Yes, I’m hoping next week that we might be able between us to cover most of the variations.

McCoy97 - 06 August 2019 09:50 AM

Yup and certain endings involving a certain character are just plain terrible and wrong

Yes, I had one ending that perhaps could be misconstrued? - to discuss next week!

I’m done with act 4. It’s a pretty short act but there’s a lot of running around to do. It’s also my least favorite act. It always feels like I missed something for some reason.

Yes, but it’s only short when you know what to do - I think I spent a long time exploring to start with. I didn’t like this act to start with but it grew on me as I found that this obligatory ‘maze’ that developers like to inflict on the player wasn’t so terrible & actually grew on me.
Feel free to disagree but I did feel that Act 4 was one section of the game where the developers moved away artistically from the portrayal of environments inspired by the film & came into its own? I thought the rendition of the sewer system was very imaginative & actually stunning.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 05 August 2019 03:53 PM

About who can be either Rep or Human, a thing decided when the player starts a new playthrough: You are right, Lucy, Gordo, Izo and Dektora are such characters. The other two are Sadik and LutherAndLance(!). Grigorian is human and so is Bob. Clovis and Zuben are always Replicants.

If you are interested about cut content: there are some stuff in the game’s code indicating that at least in some version you could VK other characters and get a Rep or Human result. That doesn’t mean that they could necessarily be either (like ie in Bob’s case in the final vanilla game who is always Human). These characters were LutherAndLance, Crazylegs, Early Q and Runciter. However, there’s further removed material whereby Bob, Crazylegs and Runciter can either be Rep or Human. Not every bit of these can be restored, but it is interesting stuff at least to me Smile

chrissie - 06 August 2019 11:20 AM

Feel free to disagree but I did feel that Act 4 was one section of the game where the developers moved away artistically from the portrayal of environments inspired by the film & came into its own? I thought the rendition of the sewer system was very imaginative & actually stunning.

I like Act 4, but this is an interesting take that I didn’t consider. The game deviates in locations from the movie but Act 4 has probably the most original ones due to its entire theme. I think most people hate the rat puzzle (which is notorious and a bit unfair since the game pretty much expects the player to die until he figures how it works - kind of like in Moraji’s bomb case). And the other one is the Police (and rats, and may be the “specials” too) randomly chasing McCoy and can kill him, sometimes in an unfair manner.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Hmm I honestly can’t remember where or when you find out what Sadik is. I think I always saw him as a rep. And the twins can vary too?? Again, can’t remember that. In my game the twins say they are reps and when McCoy questions them about it they say they were a mistake. Can’t remember them being human. I do know they can be seen in a certain ending.

As for the sewers and subway in act 4, I like it as well. I just don’t like all the running around. And I still get confused after all these years and don’t know which exit leads where and I don’t know where to go etc. Like I said it always feels like I’m missing something in act 4. And yeah I’m one of those who hates that stupid rat lol.

Btw who killed the bum in the alley in act 1? Because if you did you can still see him in the sewers if I remember correctly haha. Or I’m thinking of another game but I’m sure it’s this one. Last time I killed him was many years ago…

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

....I’m done with act 4…....

The most difficult thing to kill in the game is that rat on the wooden plank because you have to time it right. Got killed a couple of times on there lol.

Me too & the worst thing is once you’ve killed it the plank will break with the weight of the dead rat killing you if you try to cross immediately afterwards.

Finally I had to retire Luther and Lance.

I tried that on a second playthrough but it felt bad for the karma Laughing  (even though it was McCoy’s job to retire replicants) & reloaded a save to not shoot them - well, they did dish the dirt on Guzza  

And speaking of killing, who killed Runciter? I decided to let that bastard live…. this time. And Guzza? I spared him as well because I’m not a rep sympathizer in this playthrough.

Yes, I went to see Runciter to ask about the money from him found in the twins’ ‘shop’. Also there was something mentioned about Runciter returning a package in an earlier act - I got the impression in that same act that Runciter was unaware that he was being supplied with fake animals.
Yes, I should have shot him but didn’t. By then I’d bumped into Lucy who’d asked to be VKed & the result was that she was human

Finally there are two ways to end act 4. You can either go directly to your apartment or a slight variation is to do what I did and take Guzza’s briefcase containing all his false evidence against you to police HQ. You will still end up in your apartment.

I tried going to the police HQ with Guzza’s stuff but ended up in jail - game over!

McCoy97 - 06 August 2019 03:31 PM

As for the sewers and subway in act 4, I like it as well. I just don’t like all the running around. And I still get confused after all these years and don’t know which exit leads where and I don’t know where to go etc. Like I said it always feels like I’m missing something in act 4.

I know what you mean about feeling like something’s missing. Ultimately there doesn’t seem to be a lot to do in this last act & seems to be more about getting your bearings. I myself just made a note of what was where from the sewer four-way ‘junction’ which helped a lot.

Btw who killed the bum in the alley in act 1? Because if you did you can still see him in the sewers if I remember correctly haha. Or I’m thinking of another game but I’m sure it’s this one. Last time I killed him was many years ago…

I didn’t! Is it the same bum if you do? In my game he tells McCoy where he saw him - if he doesn’t in yours maybe he’s a different bum????
When I 1st played the game I went to the trouble of getting him a flask of drink from the China Bar for him to tell me what I already knew, that I could get to everywhere via the sewers, when I was expecting a map! But, I did learn from him that Guzza (the ‘fat man’) was in cahoots with Izo & Sadik.

stroggoff - 06 August 2019 01:09 PM

I think most people hate the rat puzzle (which is notorious and a bit unfair since the game pretty much expects the player to die until he figures how it works - kind of like in Moraji’s bomb case). And the other one is the Police (and rats, and may be the “specials” too) randomly chasing McCoy and can kill him, sometimes in an unfair manner.

I thought the random attacks from police, specials? & rats were more annoying as at least with the rat & Moraji there was at least a puzzle.

Did anyone shoot Mama Isabella? I guess she was the creepy woman wandering around in the sewers.

I forgot to mention if Lucy is human & she regards Clovis as her father how can this be? Lance & Luther confirm that the life span of a Nexus 6 replicant is 4 years. We know that the Moonbus was hijacked about a month ago which fits in with Zubens employment at the sushi bar. Lucy is 14? so what’s her story as Clovis can’t have been around before she was 10.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

chrissie - 07 August 2019 11:11 AM

I tried going to the police HQ with Guzza’s stuff but ended up in jail - game over!

I think this depends entirely on if McCoy has the suitcase that Guzza leaves in the sewers at the meeting place. It requires some pixel hunting, but Guzza tells McCo explicitly that he has left it there, when they meet

I didn’t! Is it the same bum if you do? In my game he tells McCoy where he saw him - if he doesn’t in yours maybe he’s a different bum????
When I 1st played the game I went to the trouble of getting him a flask of drink from the China Bar for him to tell me what I already knew, that I could get to everywhere via the sewers, when I was expecting a map! But, I did learn from him that Guzza (the ‘fat man’) was in cahoots with Izo & Sadik.

It’s the same bum. If you killed him in Act 1, then he “appears” in the sewers but as a corpse that will be floating in some screens in the sewage. He won’t be in his “home” place.

Did anyone shoot Mama Isabella? I guess she was the creepy woman wandering around in the sewers.

It’s not her, although I’ve read that elsewhere too. It’s just a random mutant/special.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

stroggoff - 07 August 2019 11:36 AM

I think this depends entirely on if McCoy has the suitcase that Guzza leaves in the sewers at the meeting place. It requires some pixel hunting, but Guzza tells McCo explicitly that he has left it there, when they meet

Thank you stroggoff - I completely missed that snippet of info each time I played through that meeting!

Just tried & found the suitcase & was able to go to the police station which resulted in being outside McCoy’s apartment. It was a nice detail but didn’t make any difference to my ending(s)

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

By then I’d bumped into Lucy who’d asked to be VKed & the result was that she was human

I didn’t bump into Lucy again since the arcade. Bummer because I’ve been able to VK everyone else that can be VK’d. Don’t think I will see her again.

Yeah I don’t think you had the briefcase. Like stroggoff said it’s pretty hard to see. If you look closely you can actually see Guzza putting the briefcase down for McCoy while the two of them are chatting. Right before Clovis starts talking for the first time.

It’s the same bum but he’s unable to talk anymore because he’s too busy swimming around haha. But yeah like I said I haven’t killed him in many years. He’s still alive in my game. I also fetched him some booze.

Huh?? I’ve never seen her in the sewers. You sure it was her? There is an old limping lady chasing you but that’s def not Mama Isabella. Also a guy with a pipe or something and then of course cops and rats. Nah I didn’t waste my time or bullets on the freaks chasing me in the sewers.

I forgot to mention if Lucy is human & she regards Clovis as her father how can this be? Lance & Luther confirm that the life span of a Nexus 6 replicant is 4 years. We know that the Moonbus was hijacked about a month ago which fits in with Zubens employment at the sushi bar. Lucy is 14? so what’s her story as Clovis can’t have been around before she was 10.

Something I’ve always wondered about. Personally I don’t think Clovis is really her father. I just think Lucy sees him as a father figure because she doesn’t have anyone else. It’s why I think it’s so easy for her to grow so close to McCoy as well. Maybe she’s had a rough life on the off world colony and Clovis and Dektora helped her out. Maybe they met when she was 10 or something. But if Lucy is a rep, that raises even more questions about her because then that means Tyrell Corp had to make her. Make her for what exactly? If she’s a rep then what’s the purpose of a 14 year old girl. In the game she’s constantly being touched and used and abused by old men etc. And I don’t think older model replicants like all of these can age. Rachel is a newer model replicant that can age and reproduce as we saw in BR 2049 but I think Lucy as a rep is still an older model. I think the developers of the game screwed up a bit when it comes to Lucy and her relationships and her endings/story and everything. Why did they have to make her a 14 year old?

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 07 August 2019 04:32 PM

Something I’ve always wondered about. Personally I don’t think Clovis is really her father. I just think Lucy sees him as a father figure because she doesn’t have anyone else. It’s why I think it’s so easy for her to grow so close to McCoy as well. Maybe she’s had a rough life on the off world colony and Clovis and Dektora helped her out. Maybe they met when she was 10 or something. But if Lucy is a rep, that raises even more questions about her because then that means Tyrell Corp had to make her. Make her for what exactly? If she’s a rep then what’s the purpose of a 14 year old girl. In the game she’s constantly being touched and used and abused by old men etc. And I don’t think older model replicants like all of these can age. Rachel is a newer model replicant that can age and reproduce as we saw in BR 2049 but I think Lucy as a rep is still an older model. I think the developers of the game screwed up a bit when it comes to Lucy and her relationships and her endings/story and everything. Why did they have to make her a 14 year old?

Tyrell apparently is not above creating such a model that would appeal to old men’s perverted tastes. When Lucy is a Replicant you can sometime’s find a brochure at Tyrel’s about “last year’s infamous Lolita model. A big hit with the all-important dirty old men market.” Lucy is 14, but the model is relatively new, so she met Clovis when she was either thirteen or fourteen.
I do agree that Lucy sees Clovis as a father figure, and Clovis for whatever reason assumes this role even when she’s human (Lucy is abused by Runciter whether she’s a Replicant or Human). She calls him “father”, and in this made-up family, Dektora is “mother” and Zuben is an “uncle” (I don’t remember Sadik or Gordo or anyone else being referenced as “uncle”). However, she acknowledges that they are not her real family—especially when she’s human.
Her past is a bit fuzzy. She’s been Off-World (an orphan and abused) and apparently she met Clovis there, who, even if she’s human, convinced her that she was a Replicant, and that Terra (Earth) would be a better place for her to live. If she’s human, she didn’t arrive to Terra on the moonbus with the rest of them, though; She got there earlier and has been working at Runciter’s for a while. 

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Yeah I know about the brochure and the Lolita model. And McCoy’s description of the Lolita model does kinda hint towards Lucy being one. Especially the way Runciter and Early Q treats her. It is kinda sick if she is one. But then they treat her like that even if she’s human. I hoped that maybe someone like Pris or even Dektora or Zhora are Lolita models but I think they are all Nexus 6’s. Clovis is a Nexus 6, but aren’t Nexus 6 models unable to show any sort of emotion, love or affection? Which would make them incapable of showing the kind of love they show for Lucy if they cared for her if she’s is human. Tyrell did mention they are more human than human except when it comes to emotions.

And Lucy being only 14 is also why I absolutely hate the endings you can get with her. Unless McCoy intends to care for her as a new father figure, but still, I still hate her endings. I like Lucy but I don’t like the weird relationship between her and McCoy. I also don’t really like the relationship between McCoy and Dektora if you go that route. I don’t think you get enough time or the opportunity to really develop any sort of meaningful relationship with Dektora.

Also, I did find the Lolita brochure in my game, so does that mean Lucy is a replicant in my game if the brochure is indeed hinting towards her being a Lolita? I don’t know if she’s human or not because I couldn’t VK her. Can you still find the brochure even if Lucy is human? Because if not then the brochure must be about her.

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 08 August 2019 12:55 AM

Yeah I know about the brochure and the Lolita model. And McCoy’s description of the Lolita model does kinda hint towards Lucy being one. Especially the way Runciter and Early Q treats her. It is kinda sick if she is one. But then they treat her like that even if she’s human. I hoped that maybe someone like Pris or even Dektora or Zhora are Lolita models but I think they are all Nexus 6’s. Clovis is a Nexus 6, but aren’t Nexus 6 models unable to show any sort of emotion, love or affection? Which would make them incapable of showing the kind of love they show for Lucy if they cared for her if she’s is human. Tyrell did mention they are more human than human except when it comes to emotions.

And Lucy being only 14 is also why I absolutely hate the endings you can get with her. Unless McCoy intends to care for her as a new father figure, but still, I still hate her endings. I like Lucy but I don’t like the weird relationship between her and McCoy. I also don’t really like the relationship between McCoy and Dektora if you go that route. I don’t think you get enough time or the opportunity to really develop any sort of meaningful relationship with Dektora.

Also, I did find the Lolita brochure in my game, so does that mean Lucy is a replicant in my game if the brochure is indeed hinting towards her being a Lolita? I don’t know if she’s human or not because I couldn’t VK her. Can you still find the brochure even if Lucy is human? Because if not then the brochure must be about her.

Yeah, Lolita brochure means that Lucy is a Replicant.

About the Nexus 6 models. The main idea from the book is that they can fake human emotions very well, but the VK test is able detect that (most of the time, and with each Replicant revision the test methods have to be updated or at least re-evaluated too). There are a few tell-tale signs, however. Replicants will typically prioritize their own survival and self over the life of a fellow Replicant and curiosity prevails as first response rather than empathy (they can realize that and correct it with a delay, especially if they are being tested/ watched).

The movie blurs these lines a bit more because at least Pris and Roy behave in a more sentimental way at least towards each other. In the game there are mentions that Replicants lack empathy and don’t necessarily care about what happens to another Replicant (...), but also that Nexus 6 are more human-like than any of the previous models.

I think that, since Nexus 6 models can have real memories and some of them can even be unaware of their true nature, this makes them more human or at least enables them to display such emotions and even develop them more convincingly (maybe to themselves too)—and the game explores this way more than the book does, and quite a bit more than the movie too.

But this could be a reason why the romantic endings seem a bit shallow (in addition to another thing that should probably be commented upon later).

Now, Lucy sees Clovis as her “father” because he simply treated her well and gave her a (terrible) shelter and probably helped her escape from the Colonies. Clovis idea of fatherhood is very different from a proper father’s, since she still has to fend for herself and work for Runciter.

Still, personally, I never saw the Clovis-Lucy or the McCoy-Lucy relationship as creepy. Certainly, not the first times I’ve played the game when it was released; the idea that they are creepy was introduced to me just a few years ago while following a “let’s play” of the game. To me the Clovis-Lucy relationship is clearly “father and daughter”-like (a make believe Replicant family) and McCoy wants to be a replacement father figure to Lucy (because Clovis did a terrible job). Sure, Lucy thinks she’s in love with McCoy, but McCoy never encourages that.

On another note, something that matters in the book, but barely gets mentioned in the movie or the game is that a lot of the Replicant models look identical (at least in their original form; they can of course have different hair style and such). So, for example the “Rachael” model is Tyrel’s niece/ secretary and also Pris—which is how Deckard can immediately tell she’s a Replicant iirc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top