• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Carleschrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #54: Blade Runner

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

danigar - 01 August 2019 06:55 PM
chrissie - 01 August 2019 01:24 PM

It seems like it was Act 2 you got stuck in danigar?
I’d already spoken to Chew? - the eye guy so wasn’t expecting him to tell me where to find Sebastian so I got stuck there too!

Yeah I got my Act numbers mixed up. I meant I finished Act 2 and was now in Act 3, which by the way I also got stuck in the nightclub where I met EasyQ and the Dragonfly lady. Unless I missed some clue how was I supposed to know that I had to evade the guy and sit on that VIP seat. I read on a walkthrough that you see Early sitting there or something but I’m pretty sure I never saw anybody. I kept thinking that I had to make an appointment or have a warrant or something

Well he won’t allow you to sit there to get to the VIP section so then the obvious thing to do is to try to slip by without him seeing you. When you first enter Early Q’s you can see Guzza entering the VIP section, but it’s very easy to miss. That’s really the only clue you get that there even is a VIP section. Well that and the blue cursor of course. The only thing you can really do in the club is to click on the dancer which will make the guy move, so I guess most people will figure out that’s how you can distract him to get into the VIP part.

Then I was finally able to do my first VK test to the lady but I didn’t know what I was doing Tongue Do you have to reach some goal or do you just make your own conclusion based on questions and how she reacts? I think she was human in my playthrough because that was the only gauge that moved everytime

Like stroggoff said there will always be an announcement by the machine telling you if someone is human or a rep, but you only get to ask a maximum of 10 questions. And yeah the test can sometimes be terminated before you reach 10 questions. That is why I said it’s very important to save your game before you VK someone if you want a positive result every time. If you didn’t hear an announcement and beeping then you don’t know if they’re human/rep.

I don’t know exactly how the test works lol but what I usually do is this: if the needle barely moves or moves between 0-50% my next question will be high intensity. If the needle goes to the extreme right my next question will be low intensity, and if the needle goes to the right but not all the way (let’s say 60-90%) then my next question will be medium. In other words most of my questions are either high or medium intensity. Low intensity question I only ask if the needle goes all the way to the right so that I can calm whoever I’m questioning down. Ask too many high intensity questions and the test might get terminated prematurely. I have no idea if that’s even a useful strategy lol.

In this playthrough so far I had to retry almost all tests 2 or 3 times to get a positive result.

SAVE before you VK someone! Smile

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Well I ended up playing untilthe end and looped back round to the start of act 3

Not sure how different the game can be but I seem to be going down a similar path as before

In act 1 I think I got all the clues from the pet shop and I managed to dodge the soup and catch up with Zuben this time, I decided to let him live. I forgot to go get the clues from the Lab tech guy and now he dissapeared, in my first playthrough I never saw him again after the first act.

In act 2 I’m getting a lot more clues to suggest that McCoy is actually a replicant, when I saw the picture of Clovis McCoy commented that the guy looks familiar and when I got the call from Lucy he says he recognises the voice from somewhere but cant remember where. I noticed that the Tyrel flyer you find can be different too, first time around it was about the new “Lolita” models which I guess was hinting at Lucy being a rep but now it’s about the new “Entertainer” models which is pointing towards Gordo.

McCoy97 - 28 July 2019 07:46 AM

Not much to talk about regarding DNA Row for me. I remember the first few times I’ve played Blade Runner I tried my best to save Moraji lol. I was sure there had to be a way. I died a few times back then because I didn’t know what to do in there Smile I always found it a bit stupid that when you go talk to Chew afterwards he’s totally unaware of what just happened right across the street. But then again he’s an old weirdo and maybe he can’t hear with that stuff on his head

He actually does mention it kinda, in the middle of one of his gibberish under the breath rants he complains about the noise and mentions a bang in which McCoy replies that was Morajis shop being blown up

danigar - 31 July 2019 11:52 PM

One big question that I have is how come I haven’t been able to do any VK tests? I didn’t have the option with Bob, and before that I didn’t have it either with the prisoner and Zuben of course runs before I can do it. Am I doing something wrong or is that one of the many variables of this game because of the way I’m playing?

I think in order to VK bob you need to talk to hassan a few times until he complains and says you should be going after Bob cause he keeps harrasing everyone, at least when I was near the end of the chapter and still hadn’t got to VK him that’s what made the option appear so there may be multiple flags that need to be triggered.

After getting to VK Bob I got the Kia upgrade but I’ve no idea what the clues I shouldn’t be uploading are, I figured any of the ones that show I’m on to Guzza but I only got the upgrade after I had got the weapons order from the shooting range(which also made it so I couldn’t pick up the one on Guzzas desk even though it was still there and clickable so I dunno if I messed that up too)

In Act 3 I don’t know if you get to choose which order you takle Daktora and Gordo in or if it’s determined by the game, I did realise that on order to do the second one you probably need to approach Lucy in the Arcade first as during my first playthrough I got stuck waiting for Early Q to announce Daktora until I went in and pulled out my gun in frustration but now I think that was just a coincidence and it was cause I talked to Lucy Grin
My first playthrough I guess Daktora was the Rep as after chasing her down I shot up the whole room for some reason and caused her to come walking out on fire and malfunctioning, the body dissapeared though which I don’t think ever got explained. In my second playthrough I apporiached her first and was able to VK her, she came up human but ran away anyway.

in my first playthrough I had approached Gordo first and he just tried to goad McCoy into shooting him so he could become famous postmortum but I just arrested him (which resulted in his getting put in the same cell as Izo at the same time, not sure if thats a bug) but in my second playthough I had been getting the hints of him being a rep such as the flyer and a News story talking about how the Entertainer Nexus 6 models were being recalled due to not being funny Grin
since I approached Gordo second he was the one to call the fake cops on me instead of trying to goad me into shooting him which then results in crystal coming with me to take him down after the rescue, seems like my only options here are to let her kill him or kill him before she can since shooting crystal just gets you arrested (I guess maggies fate is sealed Frown)

Anyway that me back round to Act 4 again so I’ll compare it to my first playthrough after sunday, it seems like it’s just the same path more or less so I’ll probably just be picking the ending I didnt pick last time.

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 01 August 2019 11:58 PM

I don’t know exactly how the test works lol (...)

By the way, since you’re using ScummVM, there are (quite) a few debug commands to try out, and most of them won’t affect your playthrough. 

For example when McCoy is giving the VK test (ie. VK UI has to be opened) you can issue the command “vk stats” to toggle the statistics as subtitles (subtitles have to be enabled for this to work) while the test is in-progress. There’s another command “vk full” that will toggle the test between the normal mode (10 questions max) and the full vk mode where McCoy can ask all of the available questions (just in case you were wondering about the subject responses to every question).

Also in the shooting grounds, we have a command “mazescore toggle” which will toggle showing your current score while you move through the maze Smile

The debugger console to issue these commands is accessed with Ctrl+D and can be closed by pressing Esc.

More debugger commands (but not all of them as of yet) are listed here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Blade_Runner

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

stroggoff - 02 August 2019 07:02 AM

For example when McCoy is giving the VK test (ie. VK UI has to be opened) you can issue the command “vk stats” to toggle the statistics as subtitles (subtitles have to be enabled for this to work) while the test is in-progress. There’s another command “vk full” that will toggle the test between the normal mode (10 questions max) and the full vk mode where McCoy can ask all of the available questions (just in case you were wondering about the subject responses to every question).

Also in the shooting grounds, we have a command “mazescore toggle” which will toggle showing your current score while you move through the maze Smile

The debugger console to issue these commands is accessed with Ctrl+D and can be closed by pressing Esc.

More debugger commands (but not all of them as of yet) are listed here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Blade_Runner

This reminds me of Black Dahlia where there is a way to access the code to all the puzzles. Kind of like a “Skip” command.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5834

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karmillo - 02 August 2019 04:52 AM

In act 2 I’m getting a lot more clues to suggest that McCoy is actually a replicant, when I saw the picture of Clovis McCoy commented that the guy looks familiar and when I got the call from Lucy he says he recognises the voice from somewhere but cant remember where…..

Would McCoy not recognise Clovis from Runciter’s security camera pics? But yes, where would he know Lucy from?

In my game aside from the Moonbus photo (which could be faked) other hints that McCoy could be a replicant include Sadik & Clovis’s comments before they tie him up - they make some reference to him being ‘family’. In Taffy’s, Gordo accuses him of being a replicant. He actually tries to shoot McCoy when I followed him into the street.
But because McCoy at the end of Act 3 becomes a wanted man, in my last playthrough wrongfully accused of killing Izo it seems McCoy is set up so it could all be a conspiracy?

Pegbiter - 29 July 2019 07:29 PM

I’ve reached Act 4, continuing the path of siding with the replicants.

I tended to on my 2nd playthrough although I did reload a save after letting Dektora go (I wasn’t able to VK her that time & was this time able to VK her which established her as a replicant. This time I shot her as Steele was suspicious the first time when I let her go just to see whether this made a difference to the choice of endings later on.

In Act 3 [spoiler]I don’t know if you get to choose which order you takle Daktora and Gordo in or if it’s determined by the game, I did realise that on order to do the second one you probably need to approach Lucy in the Arcade first as during my first playthrough I got stuck waiting for Early Q to announce Daktora until I went in and pulled out my gun in frustration but now I think that was just a coincidence and it was cause I talked to Lucy Grin

In my 1st playthrough I found Lucy straight away in Hysteria Hall but I ended up having to chase her through the Hall of Mirrors
The 2nd time I got stuck too - I don’t know what the trigger is for Lucy to turn up in HH but I had to go back a few times before she was there.
The same here, I couldn’t get to see Dektora until I’d seen Lucy.

A little more about the scorpions - in my last playthrough there were apparently 100 which were all sold to a ‘beautiful lady’ On entering Early Q‘s ’secret’ room I just spotted the tail of a scorpion in the chair. I did for a laugh sit in the chair - game over! So on this occasion Early Q was killed & I got his security disc which shows a photo of Dektora in her dressing room with the empty scorpion box.
On a previous playthrough Early Q gave me a photo after returning the disc - I can’t remember what was on it - I think Lucy was in the background?

Just a small trivial detail but Mama Isabella describes the man who grabbed her cartons (one with the cheese) as an ugly little man, with bad (bright) clothes & a funny bow tie. I think this is confirmed as being Gordo as this is mentioned in Taffy’s? But, I think the description fits Early Q better!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Time to move on to:

Act 4 - I’m not sure that everyone who hasn’t played the game before hasn’t been tempted to get ahead but if you haven’t it’s a little different as you will find out!

Please play until McCoy has reached & able to remain in his apartment to get to the the beginning of Act 5

You have until next Sunday

Please just post comments on any act up until the end of Act 4.  Smile

N.B. I’ve omitted the recaps of the story in each act as sorry, I got too bogged-down in details. Maybe/maybe not later.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

McCoy97 - 01 August 2019 11:58 PM

Well he won’t allow you to sit there to get to the VIP section so then the obvious thing to do is to try to slip by without him seeing you. When you first enter Early Q’s you can see Guzza entering the VIP section, but it’s very easy to miss. That’s really the only clue you get that there even is a VIP section. Well that and the blue cursor of course. The only thing you can really do in the club is to click on the dancer which will make the guy move, so I guess most people will figure out that’s how you can distract him to get into the VIP part.

Yeah I probably missed that bit of Guzza entering the VIP section that’s why I didn’t know there was even a VIP section behind that chair (although I should have suspected by the blue cursor like you said)

About the VK test, yeah I couldn’t get a positive result maybe because I was asking too many high intensity questions and she ran away, but from her answers I think she appeared human. I could try to load from before the test but as this is my first playthrough I’m just letting things happen as they come Tongue

I finished Act 3 with Crystal killing Gordo outside the nightclubs and she letting me ran way. I’m really liking how you start to wonder if McCoy is a replicant and questioning everything. I like how this dilemma is imbued within the story instead of being a last moment twist (well at least for now).

Is it just me, or because is the first time I play the game, but I’m having a hard time keeping track or who is who. I feel like names get thrown and is like you’re supposed to know who people are but you barely get to know the characters and in most instances I’m just able to ask a couple of questions before something happens, they freak out or they run away and get killed. Is like everybody you meet is a suspect and a human/replicant. I’m having a hard time with characters and all clues collected but I guess that’s why the game has to be played more than once.  Sarcastic

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

chrissie - 04 August 2019 06:32 AM
Karmillo - 02 August 2019 04:52 AM

In act 2 I’m getting a lot more clues to suggest that McCoy is actually a replicant, when I saw the picture of Clovis McCoy commented that the guy looks familiar and when I got the call from Lucy he says he recognises the voice from somewhere but cant remember where…..

Would McCoy not recognise Clovis from Runciter’s security camera pics? But yes, where would he know Lucy from?

In my first playthrough I had missed the Runciter security footage but McCoy still commented on the China Bar photo something like “huh this guy gets around” despite that being the first time he should have seen him. in my second playthrough when I got the Runciter footage his comment was something like “this guy looks familiar”. since I missed the photo on my first time around I don’t know if this is something McCoy will always say or if it’s only if he is a replicant(or if McCoy being a replicant is even one of the randomised variables)

one thing to note though is he doesn’t seem to recognise Sadik for whatever reason unless I’ve missed any remarks hinting at that

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

danigar - 04 August 2019 12:07 PM

Is it just me, or because is the first time I play the game, but I’m having a hard time keeping track or who is who. I feel like names get thrown and is like you’re supposed to know who people are but you barely get to know the characters and in most instances I’m just able to ask a couple of questions before something happens, they freak out or they run away and get killed. Is like everybody you meet is a suspect and a human/replicant. I’m having a hard time with characters and all clues collected but I guess that’s why the game has to be played more than once.  Sarcastic

Yes, I felt the same way the 1st time I played! - there are so many snippets of info you can miss & also the KIA app I didn’t think to use in an efficient way. I think on further playthroughs a lot more comes together even though some of the details vary on doing things differently.  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am at the checkpoint for act 4. I have had to resort to a walkthrough a few times, poor me. The next puzzle is a prime example why, I just could not figure this out:

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

Mikekelly - 04 August 2019 01:57 PM

I am at the checkpoint for act 4. I have had to resort to a walkthrough a few times, poor me. The next puzzle is a prime example why, I just could not figure this out:

Heart

what’s worse is sometimes talking to the dancer doesn’t make the bodyguard move and sometimes even when you get him to move depending on where McCoy is standing he won’t make it to the chair before the guard turns around.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

^ you just have to sprint as fast as you can.

danigar - 04 August 2019 12:07 PM

About the VK test, yeah I couldn’t get a positive result maybe because I was asking too many high intensity questions and she ran away, but from her answers I think she appeared human. I could try to load from before the test but as this is my first playthrough I’m just letting things happen as they come Tongue

As this is only your first playthrough, only reveal this spoiler if you REALLY want to know the truth about Dektora…..... Unless I missed something in the last 20+ years of playing this game, Dektora is ALWAYS a replicant. Some of the other characters can be human or rep, but not Dektora Smile

Is it just me, or because is the first time I play the game, but I’m having a hard time keeping track or who is who. I feel like names get thrown and is like you’re supposed to know who people are

Like who? Tongue Half of the characters are from the movie and I think you get ample time to get to know the new ones too.

I’m done with act 4. It’s a pretty short act but there’s a lot of running around to do. It’s also my least favorite act. It always feels like I missed something for some reason.

Here’s what happened in my game:

I picked up my new (and best) ammo. It came in handy on a few occasions and I still have some bullets to spare at the start of act 5. I only killed rats and a couple of reps :p . I just ignored all the cops and bums trying to kill me. Also ignored Bob’s place after being forced to reload the previous save lol. I forgot about Bob! :p

The most difficult thing to kill in the game is that rat on the wooden plank because you have to time it right. Got killed a couple of times on there lol.

Finally I had to retire Luther and Lance. One thing people will probably not know or remember is that you have to shoot them repeatedly until you can’t shoot anymore. Otherwise they will destroy their computer and in doing so also destroy some important data.

And speaking of killing, who killed Runciter? I decided to let that bastard live…. this time. And Guzza? I spared him as well because I’m not a rep sympathizer in this playthrough. He still learned his lesson though haha. Killing Guzza will score you some massive brownie points with Clovis and his rep buddies.

Finally there are two ways to end act 4. You can either go directly to your apartment or a slight variation is to do what I did and take Guzza’s briefcase containing all his false evidence against you to police HQ. You will still end up in your apartment.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

McCoy97 - 04 August 2019 02:51 PM

Like who? Tongue Half of the characters are from the movie and I think you get ample time to get to know the new ones too.

Well I was thinking specifically in Gordo and EasyQ. I don’t think they get mentioned before this Act and all of a sudden they felt important, like someone McCoy knew previously and I wasn’t sure what role were they playing since our focus at the beginning of the Act were the three replicants.   Like chrissie said, I’m probably missing a lot of info and I’m also getting confused with all the stuff in the KIA, I haven’t really used it at all. (Plus the last time I saw the movie was a couple of years ago so my memory is fuzzy on that)

About Dektora, well I’m surprised cause I interpreted the gauge to move as human when i asked her the intense questions but again, I’m probably wrong since I wasn’t able to finish the test and I wasn’t sure what I was doing at that moment. I should probably repeat it just for fun if I have a save close to that point.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Well you can meet Gordo at the beginning of the game in act 1 on your first visit to Howie Lee’s. Of course if you try to talk to him he tries to avoid you. You can then later meet him randomly elsewhere, especially in the street at DNA Row right after the bombing if you stick around. He may invite McCoy to check out his show at Nightclub Row. Next time you see him he’s at Taffy’s Bar (if you remember, Taffy’s is the bar where Zhora the snake dancer and fellow Nexus 6 rep worked in the movie). Clearly this guy has something to hide and you got to ask yourself why he can always be found near all the reps you’re hunting. He’s clearly in cahoots with the reps. He can either be human or one of the replicants.

As for Early Q, McCoy already knows him from his previous run-ins with the law. He’s not exactly a saint and McCoy’s had dealings with him before. But now McCoy is interested in him because if you talked to the dragonfly lady she should tell you that the rare dragonfly jewelry you saw on Lucy and Sadik were sold to a nightclub owner at Nightclub Row. So that immediately links Early Q to the reps and the case you’re working on. And as you later find out, Early Q is hiding more secrets.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

stroggoff - 02 August 2019 07:02 AM

That one could’ve been helpful earlier to see where I messed up lol. I’m not playing the game with subtitles though. Haven’t downloaded the subtitles part.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top