• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games similar to Obra Dinn

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

So, I absolutely loved the game, and I want some more.

Problem is, I don’t know of any other AG quite like it.

So, what’s the closest game you guys have in mind (I don’t mind if the connection is far-fetched, it’ll still be interesting), if any ? Non-AG are welcome, if necessary Smile

I think it reminded me most of What remains of Edith Finch; another excellent game, except Obra Dinn had what EF didn’t ie : actual puzzles (well, kind of puzzles).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s the problem with Lucas Pope. His games are so unique that there really is nothing out there like them (not even among his games, since Papers, Please and Return of the Obra Dinn are miles apart themselves).

If you want some more, my only suggestion would be to play Return of the Obra Dinn again… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 26 June 2019 08:29 AM

If you want some more, my only suggestion would be to play Return of the Obra Dinn again… Tongue

I’ve started that yesterday :-)

I’ve had my eyes on Papers Please for a while, before playing Obra Dinn, but ended up not buying it at the last minute quite a few times.
Now amidst my Obra Dinn bliss I think I’ll buy it because I’m now really interested in what Pope has to offer.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

TimovieMan - 26 June 2019 08:29 AM

That’s the problem with Lucas Pope. His games are so unique that there really is nothing out there like them (not even among his games, since Papers, Please and Return of the Obra Dinn are miles apart themselves).

Papers, Please was unique when it came out - a number of games have riffed off its ideas in various ways since, though. Maybe it just needs a little more time for the Obra Dinn-like games to start appearing!

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Well, thanks to the steam summer sales, I’ve just bought and started (and kept on playing far too late into the night) Papers, Please. I really like it so far.

And yes, I do hope that Obra Dinn will inspire similar games, even though discovering the concept was one of my favorite part of the Obra Dinn experience.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m on board:

You bastards made me do it*!
Damn! I wasn’t planning to play anything right now - Wimbledon is looming.
*Karlok started it all for me, actually

P.S. I haven’t played anything similar to Oprah Dean, and that’s a plus.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 27 June 2019 09:43 AM

I’m on board:

You bastards made me do it*!
Damn! I wasn’t planning to play anything right now - Wimbledon is looming.
*Karlok started it all for me, actually

P.S. I haven’t played anything similar to Oprah Dean, and that’s a plus.

Hey, that’s great! Welcome aboard.  Cool
I hope you have as much fun as I had.
If you want to get the most out of it, do NOT guess and do NOT bruteforce.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 27 June 2019 11:44 AM

Very true. I did both of these things in a few instances, and ended up regretting it.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

Tacoma is a bit like Obra Dinn but without puzzles. It’s all exploration.

You get to see holographic recordings in real time that you can follow around the station, then rewind a bit, follow a different character etc. The story and plot will unravel as you explore and search, but that’s it, there are no actual puzzles.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Hey, that’s great! Welcome aboard.  Cool

Aye-aye, captain, my captain! Thank you!

I hope you have as much fun as I had.

For the time being (after an hour of playing or so) I enjoy it very much (especially since I’ve learned the ropes).

I most certainly won’t, I’m in no hurry (it’s hot like hell here and I do everything a half slower than usual).
Cross referencing seems to be the key for this game.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I hope Obra Dinn does inspire other devs designing detective games, as it really does stand alone. In some ways, LA Noir has something similar in it, not the inspection mechanics as such, but the freedom you have in inspecting the crime scenes.

Frogwares has tried something like it with their latest Sherlock Holmes games, but again, not quite as successfully. and they do have it tied into more of a minigame/QTE mechanics. Their locations leave something to be desired as well.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Gabriel Knight 3 tried something similar during its investigative parts, but, of course, using traditional detective methods and limited abilities of SIDNEY laptops. You also answer questions at the end of Laura Bow 2 and deduct various things based on the discoveries made along the way, but it’s hardly Obra Dinn.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 27 June 2019 11:57 AM

Very true. I did both of these things in a few instances, and ended up regretting it.

Well, it IS tempting when you know for sure someone is either A or B. But there are always subtle hints.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 28 June 2019 10:33 AM
Ninth - 27 June 2019 11:57 AM

Well, it IS tempting when you know for sure someone is either A or B. But there are always subtle hints.

Especially since during my first playthrough I had no certainty that everything could be deduced. And also I mostly played the game late on the evenings (nights…), so sometimes it was too tempting to bruteforce some IDs to go to bed on a win Smile
Still, now I regret it.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

I’m currently playing “Outer Wilds” and, while the setting and gameplay are completely different from Obra Dinn, I’m getting very similar vibes playing the game. Specifically it’s the way the game sets up the information to allow you to piece together what happened, but doesn’t hand-hold you into figuring out the answer, so there’s an awesome sense of triumph once you do figure stuff out. It requires a little bit of coordination when moving around, so it’s not a pure adventure game, but the core of the game-play is exploration and puzzle solving. Highly recommended. Here’s a review if you’re not sure (although it’s better to go into it blind).

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Matan - 02 July 2019 02:46 AM

I’m currently playing “Outer Wilds” and, while the setting and gameplay are completely different from Obra Dinn, I’m getting very similar vibes playing the game.

Ah, that’s good to know, I’ve actually had my eyes on the game.
Last time I checked, steam listed it as not already available for purchse, though. Where did you buy it ?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top