• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner ready to be tested with ScummVM

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m using the most recent build, I just DL it today. I’ll check if I can replicate it, but was just zooming in and out multiple times.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Yup I’m using the latest build as well. I only got the error as soon as I clicked start on the scumm interface. It doesn’t even load the game. It doesn’t happen every time though. Most of the time the game loads fine without any problem.

Other times I have to retry and click start multiple times. Not sure if it was because I kept switching between the scumm and non-scumm version while testing the graphics. Will see if I get the error again with the community playthrough.

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 14 July 2019 12:20 AM

Yup I’m using the latest build as well. I only got the error as soon as I clicked start on the scumm interface. It doesn’t even load the game. It doesn’t happen every time though. Most of the time the game loads fine without any problem.

Other times I have to retry and click start multiple times. Not sure if it was because I kept switching between the scumm and non-scumm version while testing the graphics. Will see if I get the error again with the community playthrough.

The non-ScummVM version installs some .DLL files in the game directory and those could be interfering (ScummVM does not need any DLL files there btw).

That said, I pushed a bug fix that could be causing a crash in specific conditions while loading a game from the ScummVM interface, so, in general, it’s best to always have the latest daily development build (today’s build (2.1.0git6105-g509738bb49 Jul 14 2019) includes this bug fix).

Also, the only case when I get temp freezes on my laptop setup, is when I’ve put the Blade Runner game folder on an external USB drive that in general takes a while to “spin-up” so ScummVM has to wait for it in order to be able to load required files. So the freezes in that case are only temporary (but could last a few seconds).

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Downloaded. I’ll give it a try later

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi, can anyone help out danigar?

danigar - 14 July 2019 03:25 PM

Hey guys I would love to take part of this community playthrough. I bought the game a while ago but have never had to chance to play it yet. I was busy with other games and didn’t have the chance to try and make it work on a modern PC. So this playthorough is the perfect excuse to finally get to play and experience it for the first time ! Smile

So my first question is what is the best way to make it work? I wanted to try the ScummVM option since apparently it has the option to add subtitles and they are a necessity for me!. I downloaded the development build but I’m not sure how to proceed, the instructions in the website are not too specific (for newbies like me) Do I have to install the game first and add the executable to the list in ScummVM? Where do I copy the game files? I tried copying them to a folder but nothing shows in ScummVM so am I supposed to install it first?

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

The way I did it was to install the game, run scumm, click add game and then just select the folder where the game is installed. You can then just start the game.

Only files I copied manually from the discs were the CDFRAMES.DAT files. Copied each to the folder where game is installed and renamed them CDFRAMES1-4 respectively.

Have to say the instructions on scumm are very vague. I don’t always know what to do

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Please let me know of anything that needs clarification.
Currently the installation instructions for ScummVM support require to basically copy some files from the CDs to a game folder on your hard disk (eg in C:\bladerunner) and then launch ScummVM, click “Add Game…” and point it to the said game folder.

The required data files are listed here:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Datafiles#Blade_Runner

Instructions are here on the ScummVM wiki:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual/Installing_a_game_for_use_with_ScummVM#Blade_Runner

Please download the latest daily development build for ScummVM. We’re constantly fixing any bugs that are reported to us during the testing phase, and also resolving a few original game issues, so getting the most recent daily version is recommended. Getting a new ScummVM version won’t break save game compatibility.

Also, the most recent ScummVM version will let you know which specific required data files are missing when launching Blade Runner, in the case that some are indeed missing, so that you can then copy them from the CDs.

Edit: The file for English subtitles is available here in a zip file.
https://www.scummvm.org/games/#bladerunner
Just extract the SUBTITLES.MIX file contained in the zip into your game folder.
Subtitles are optional, so you can skip this last step

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Ok so I copied all the files listed to a folder but when I open ScummVM and try to Add Game and browse to the folder nothing shows. I also tried installing the game normally first but I get the error saying that is incompatible with 64 bit version of Windows. Do I have to use one of those patch installers in order to install it first? Or I should I be able to run it from ScummVM without installing?

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

danigar - 14 July 2019 09:21 PM

Ok so I copied all the files listed to a folder but when I open ScummVM and try to Add Game and browse to the folder nothing shows. I also tried installing the game normally first but I get the error saying that is incompatible with 64 bit version of Windows. Do I have to use one of those patch installers in order to install it first? Or I should I be able to run it from ScummVM without installing?

You don’t need the third party installer or patch to run it from ScummVM. You also don’t need to install the game from its original installer (which as you said won’t work on 64bit operating systems).

When in “Add Game…” from ScummVM you just have to navigate into the game folder and then press on the “Choose” button. You won’t see anything in the folder itself from ScummVM, this is normal. Just press “Choose” and then if the proper files are in the folder, ScummVM will open a window “Pick the game” with two options. Choose the top one (simple “Blade Runner”) rather than the “Blade Runner with restored content”.

Here’s a How-to with screenshots Smile (Sorry for the long post)

0. This is how my game folder looks in Windows 10 x64, after copying the required data files from the 4 CDs (and renaming the CDFRAMES.DAT file from each CD, as per the instructions to CDFRAMES1.DAT, CDFRAMES2.DAT, CDFRAMES3.DAT, CDFRAMES4.DAT based on which CD they came from):

1. Launching ScummVM:

2. Select “Add Game..” from ScummVM:

3. Navigate into the game folder and press Choose. You probably won’t see anything inside the game folder from this ScummVM explorer window; this is normal:

4. Pick the first option for the original Blade Runner game and then click on Choose:

5. Then ScummVM will show you this Dialogue:

6a. From here you can optionally set some additional settings for the game. For example these are the recommended Graphic settings for the Graphics Tab:

6b. And from the Audio Tab you can choose to have Speech and Subtitles (both) mode, if you have installed the ScummVM subtitles. Enabling and disabling subtitles can also be done from in-game.

7. Press OK in the first tab (or from any current tab in this ScummVM dialogue):

8. Launch Blade Runner by selecting it from the list on the left (if not already highlighted) and pressing on Start:

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

stroggoff - 14 July 2019 09:51 PM
danigar - 14 July 2019 09:21 PM

You don’t need the third party installer or patch to run it from ScummVM. You also don’t need to install the game from its original installer (which as you said won’t work on 64bit operating systems).

When in “Add Game…” from ScummVM you just have to navigate into the game folder and then press on the “Choose” button. You won’t see anything in the folder itself from ScummVM, this is normal. Just press “Choose” and then if the proper files are in the folder, ScummVM will open a window “Pick the game” with two options. Choose the top one (simple “Blade Runner”) rather than the “Blade Runner with restored content”.

My Bad! For some reason I was expecting to see the files when browsing but yeah I just had to open the folder Crazy  It’s working fine so far. I tested the subtitles and it seems to be working fine too! That was my main reasons to use ScummVM. Thanks! Smile

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

danigar - 14 July 2019 10:00 PM

My Bad! For some reason I was expecting to see the files when browsing but yeah I just had to open the folder Crazy  It’s working fine so far. I tested the subtitles and it seems to be working fine too! That was my main reasons to use ScummVM. Thanks! Smile

I’m glad it’s working! Thanks for confirming that everything seems fine Smile

I’ve edited my post above to include a guide with screenshots for the steps for anyone else who would need it.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

My method of installing the game first also works with scumm lol.

Just a question: so if I run the game through scumm WITHOUT installing it first with that third party installer, will the game work 100%? Because in the playthrough thread chrissie said that the targets didn’t appear at the targeting range and I know that is one of the issues that was fixed by the patch that comes with the installer.

I guess running the game through scumm without using the installer my game won’t include those fixes?

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

McCoy97 - 14 July 2019 11:39 PM

My method of installing the game first also works with scumm lol.

Yes, that is also expected. Smile

McCoy97 - 14 July 2019 11:39 PM

Just a question: so if I run the game through scumm WITHOUT installing it first with that third party installer, will the game work 100%? Because in the playthrough thread chrissie said that the targets didn’t appear at the targeting range and I know that is one of the issues that was fixed by the patch that comes with the installer.

I guess running the game through scumm without using the installer my game won’t include those fixes?

You don’t need to use the third party or the original installer, at all.

ScummVM’s version includes all the fixes, for the targets and other timer related issues in modern systems. The game will work 100% (and with more bug fixes and some quality of life improvements - eg. Mouse Scrolling will work in your KIA save/load game screens, which is useful if you got a lot of save games!)

In fact, since a few weeks ago, we also fixed an original bug for the targets bahavior, so now in Easy mode, targets will be as slow to appear as in the original game, but in Normal and Hard mode, they’re going to be way more challenging, in the way they were apparently intended to be (but never were) Smile

Just to clarify. In the original game (and in ScummVM’s Easy mode) you have to wait a few seconds (could be up to ~15 or 20 seconds) for the first target to appear, and the targets will appear at a slow pace in general. The reason we kept this behavior in Easy mode in ScummVM was in order to somehow keep the original experience which is less challenging but at least it’s fitting for the Easy mode.

Also, I’d suggest to avoid the third party installer altogether if you’re running the game via ScummVM, to make sure that no unwanted side-effects will occur from the third party dlls. And if you did already use the 3rd party installer method, I think it would suffice if you cleaned up your game folder and only kept the required data files for the ScummVM version.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Awesome stuff! Going to uninstall the game, delete everything and start over with the proper scumm method. Want to test the game in scumm.

Maybe chrissie can tell us how long she waited for the targets? I’ll be using hard mode Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

In trying to get the game to run on my 64-bit Windows a few months ago, I had to resort to using a Virtual Machine with Windows 98, which worked but had an annoying s-sound stutt-tter every-ry two se-seconds, which made me wait for the ScummVM version with subtitles.

The method described above had the game running through ScummVM without a hitch, without stuttering sound, and now it’s even subtitled!
Yeah, finally!!! Cool
I’ve owned those discs for years without ever playing the game… Tongue

@Stroggoff: thanks for the links in this thread, and the help!

I still had the hdframes.dat file I downloaded a couple of months ago, so I used that instead of renaming the cdframes files. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top