• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Strong ‘standalone’ Women like Sadja?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I have replayed it ‘Memoria” earlier and was struck with how good the “Sadia’ character was written that replayed again it straight after my 1st replay, because of her controversial character

But as for the question, has been any that came even close? a free standalone woman with a damn great will thru her adventure the way Sadia was and is. ‘long to be remembered’.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Aren’t most female protagonists more or less like this?

Erica Reed doggedly chasing the serial killer(s) in Cognition, Victoria McPherson in Still Life, Samantha Everett in Gray Matter, or the various protagonists in Wadjet Eye games, or Kathy Rain, or ...

I’m not sure I could point to any of them as being particularly more outstanding than the others, but maybe I don’t quite get the question.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I haven’t played the game - can you clarify (without too many spoilers!) what you mean by controversial there?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Here are a couple more:

Zanthia from Kyrandia 3
Amber from Bear With Me
Mata Hari from Mata Hari
Latha from Technobabylon
Abigail Blackwood from Goetia
Penelope from Hugo II: Whodunit?

Come to think of it, I would probably find it harder to name ‘weak’ female protagonists. Are there any?

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

cyfoyjvx - 04 June 2019 07:08 AM

Come to think of it, I would probably find it harder to name ‘weak’ female protagonists. Are there any?

I don’t know about “weak”, but for example Forgotten Anne either basically does what that rebel leader dude wants her to do or goes along with her “Master”. So I’d say she’s at least not that “independent” type.

It’s not something I gave much thought before, but always p&cs; are pretty good about having female protagonists in the first place (basically compared to any other genre…), they seem to be quite a bit less varied than their male counterparts. For the male protagonists you got losers, perverts, “comedians”, manly mcmanlydudes, serious types, brooding types ... the female protagonists; well. They clearly aren’t all the same, but they seem to tend to be a bit more similar to each other for some reason.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Pyoro-2 - 04 June 2019 08:55 AM

I don’t know about “weak”, but for example Forgotten Anne either basically does what that rebel leader dude wants her to do or goes along with her “Master”. So I’d say she’s at least not that “independent” type.

It’s not something I gave much thought before, but always p&cs; are pretty good about having female protagonists in the first place (basically compared to any other genre…), they seem to be quite a bit less varied than their male counterparts. For the male protagonists you got losers, perverts, “comedians”, manly mcmanlydudes, serious types, brooding types ... the female protagonists; well. They clearly aren’t all the same, but they seem to tend to be a bit more similar to each other for some reason.

I agree, female protagonists are usually strong, independent, adventurous women, although some are not above flirting with, or even dating/seducing, men who might be able to help them.

I can think of only a few “weak” or at least different types, but I’m sure there are more: Lilli in Harvey’s New Eyes is timid, easily intimidated and hardly speaks. I love Tim Schafer’s Laverne but she is too crazy to be trusted with a knife. Smile Susan in the Cat Lady is severely depressed. Poor Ellen in IHNMAIMS has all the characteristics of a victim. Max in Life Is Strange is timid and insecure, not real heroine material. Sunny in So Blonde is selfcentred, materialistic, dependent on others - at least at first.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Phlebas - 04 June 2019 05:57 AM

I haven’t played the game - can you clarify (without too many spoilers!) what you mean by controversial there?

she can do harmful magic for good calls (or not). too many things in the story cannot tell without spoiling it Phlebas.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Queen Valanice of King’s Quest 7 was also a weird character who died at every opportunity. And Grace from Gabriel Knight 2 was a neurotic. But I also wish there was more variety, most female protagonists don’t differ much from males. Zanthia at least cared about her wardrobe.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Nelly Cootalot
Captain Morgane
Petra
Mina

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Pyoro-2 - 04 June 2019 04:19 AM

it is true that its (strong women) theme is all over the walls, but they hardly ‘own’ it, neither thru the character given details nor thru the story as it is unfolding. but Sajia owns every bit of it.

i am not stupid to ask that kinda a naive question, you should be aware of Sajia, 1st.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 20 June 2019 09:17 AM
Pyoro-2 - 04 June 2019 04:19 AM

it is true that its (strong women) theme is all over the walls, but they hardly ‘own’ it, neither thru the character given details nor thru the story as it is unfolding. but Sajia owns every bit of it.

What does “owning your strength” as a female protagonist look like according to male video game players? Sounds similar to bragging about having a high IQ, but what do I know about it… I’m just a poor, weak, dumb woman.

i am not stupid to ask that kinda a naive question, you should be aware of Sajia, 1st.

Oh.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Doom - 04 June 2019 06:04 PM

Zanthia at least cared about her wardrobe.

Zanthia is the coolest character (male or female) I’ve ever played in an AG.

Smart, strong, funny, willful, ill-tempered and beautiful.  Heart

Unlike Brandon, the main character in the previous game, which is so incredibly bland.

Sophia, in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, is also pretty bad ass, but falls into damsel-in-distress mode later on.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Ninth - 25 June 2019 09:34 AM

Sophia, in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, is also pretty bad ass, but falls into damsel-in-distress mode later on.

Yeah, Indy has a type Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Karlok - 04 June 2019 12:06 PM
Pyoro-2 - 04 June 2019 08:55 AM

I agree, female protagonists are usually strong, independent, adventurous women, although some are not above flirting with, or even dating/seducing, men who might be able to help them.

I can think of only a few “weak” or at least different types, but I’m sure there are more: Lilli in Harvey’s New Eyes is timid, easily intimidated and hardly speaks. I love Tim Schafer’s Laverne but she is too crazy to be trusted with a knife. Smile Susan in the Cat Lady is severely depressed. Poor Ellen in IHNMAIMS has all the characteristics of a victim. Max in Life Is Strange is timid and insecure, not real heroine material. Sunny in So Blonde is selfcentred, materialistic, dependent on others - at least at first.

It’s something I’ve always appreciated from adventure games, they tend to have female protagonists that are strong independent and adventurous which is refreshing compared to a lot of other games…

And, I agree with Ninth, Zanthia is my one of my favorite character (although I haven’t replayed the game in years it used to be my favorite game as a teenager)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top