• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Carol Reed?

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Hi fellow Adventure Gamers. Question, which Carol Reed Adventure should I start with?

Do I need to play them in order?

I want to start with the best one (great story, logic puzzles, good inventory puzzles, etc).

I’m actually from Sweden (have not been living over there for a long time though), and I am kind of reluctant of playing this series, because I for some reason is not a big fan of Swedish tv-series, books, etc, where the settings are based in Sweden. Don’t ask me why, it’s just how I feel for some reason. Smile

I’m also not a big fan of First Person/Node based/Myst like adventure games (except a few exceptions like Tex Murphy), but I’m willing to give this series a try, since people seem to enjoy them. Actually the only node based game I really enjoyed was Yoomurjak’s Ring, even though it had some unfair pixel hunting and too little of hints on how to solve some of the puzzles.

Oscar, I’m pretty sure that you can give me a good answer (I know that you are a big fan of the Carol Reed games:))

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Niclas - 16 January 2013 02:20 AM

Oscar, I’m pretty sure that you can give me a good answer (I know that you are a big fan of the Carol Reed games:))

Many of us here are Smile

I haven’t played the first 3 so not such a big fan Smile There’s no order to the games, so you could read the story of each game on the developer’s site and choose your favourite, or play the demos. It’s too hard to pick a “best”.

Also remember that you can get the games for US$2.99 from BigFishGames if you enter the coupon “NEW299”.

PS Niklas: I’m so jealous you live in Sweden. I’ve been to Stockholm but the scenery around Norköpping is simply beautiful Heart Eyes

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Cheers Oscar. I knew that you would be quick in answering my question. Smile However I thought you would give a super detailed answer, hehe. Smile Thanks, I will check on the web site and see what story interests me the most.
Also sounds like a pretty sweet deal getting each game that cheap.

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Hi fellow Adventure Gamers.

Hi.

Question, which Carol Reed Adventure should I start with? Do I need to play them in order?

Answer, you can start with any of the CR titles if you don’t care about Carol/Jonas relationship. Even if you do care about it, you won’t miss much by playing the games in random order since there isn’t a big deal of development in their relationship (until the last game which I didn’t play, that is).

I want to start with the best one (great story, logic puzzles, good inventory puzzles, etc).

Carol Reed games are all great and have the equal qualities (just don’t expect the Discworld 1 level of inventory puzzles and you’ll be very pleased).

I’m actually from Sweden

I am not, but after playing CR games I feel like I spent a good part of my life in Norrköping (which looks a lot like my home town - many abandoned buildings, a lot of green areas and a lot of lively colo(u)rs) ).

I’m also not a big fan of First Person/Node based/Myst like adventure games (except a few exceptions like Tex Murphy), but I’m willing to give this series a try, since people seem to enjoy them. Actually the only node based game I really enjoyed was Yoomurjak’s Ring, even though it had some unfair pixel hunting and too little of hints on how to solve some of the puzzles.

I think you’ll like CR games (specially since you liked YR). The latest CR games have a great notebook hint system so you’ll never get totally stumped.
The puzzles in CR games are hard enough to make you scratch your head now and then, yet they’re not illogical and you get a lot of in-game clues (beside those given by the hint system) so you can solve them all by yourself (if you have an average/slightly above average IQ and a little patience). Just be sure to look everywhere around you (I still remember having a hard time finding a small key in certain premises) and you’ll be OK.

Oscar, ... I know that you are a big fan of the Carol Reed games:)

Oscar is nowhere near me when it comes to being a CR games fan.
As you can see from the shear SIZE of our answers.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

@Oscar
PS: I’m so jealous you live in Sweden! I’ve been to Stockholm but the scenery around Norköpping is simply beautiful.

Actually I don’t live in Sweden anymore. I’m originally from Stockholm, but I have been living in Sydney/Australia now for over 3 years, and before that in Hawaii for 2.5 years. But yes, Sweden is a pretty nice place, only too cold 8 months of the year. Smile

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

@zobraks

Cheers for the very informative response. Seems like a pretty cool and interesting game series. Might actually be something that I like. Smile

I have actually never been to Norrkoping, hehe. Maybe I have to visit the place when I go back to Sweden this summer for a visit. Smile

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zobraks - 16 January 2013 04:29 AM

Oh? Have you got a giant signed poster of tattooed Janitor Guy on your wall then? Wink

Niclas - 16 January 2013 04:31 AM

@Oscar
PS: I’m so jealous you live in Sweden! I’ve been to Stockholm but the scenery around Norköpping is simply beautiful.

Actually I don’t live in Sweden anymore. I’m originally from Stockholm, but I have been living in Sydney/Australia now for over 3 years, and before that in Hawaii for 2.5 years. But yes, Sweden is a pretty nice place, only too cold 8 months of the year. Smile

So you switched from too cold for 8 months to too hot for 8 months?  Grin

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

@Oscar

That is what I call a FAN (if you actually do have that poster signed that is)  Smile

Yep, I switched to 8 months of too hot, hehe. Actually here in Sydney it is only too hot 3 months a year, the rest of the year is actually just perfect. It’s been 45 degrees now for a few days now (it is summer time here now), when it is this hot it is perfect to play AG’s, and sitting inside with the fan on. Smile

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Niclas - 16 January 2013 04:36 AM

@zobraks

Cheers for the very informative response.

Cheers, mate (strong ozzie accent)!

Seems like a pretty cool and interesting game series. Might actually be something that I like. Smile

I suggest you do try it. I also had a hard time forcing myself to start playing CR games, but once I started I couldn’t stop. Just don’t expect too much - playing a CR game is like reading a good mystery novel (even better, since you’re in charge). The best thing about CR games is that you’ll NEVER get to save THE WHOLE WORLD (god, I HATE that kind of AGs!), you’ll only be helping a couple of people to solve the greatest mystery of their life (far from the greatest mystery in the world), and you’ll feel like you’re really doing it, I mean like in real life. These games are not pretentious and they “cut the mustard” just fine.

I have actually never been to Norrkoping, hehe. Maybe I have to visit the place when I go back to Sweden this summer for a visit. Smile

Just pay me an air ticket and I’ll show you around. We may even meet Bigge and get his autograph!

Oscar - 16 January 2013 04:37 AM
zobraks - 16 January 2013 04:29 AM

Oh? Have you got a giant signed poster of tattooed Janitor Guy on your wall then? Wink

Sure.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Niclas - 16 January 2013 04:43 AM

@Oscar

That is what I call a FAN (if you actually do have that poster signed that is)  Smile

Hah, I wish! I was joking.

Besides, zobraks has the nude version so I can’t compete with him Smile

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 16 January 2013 04:52 AM

zobraks has the nude version so I can’t compete with him Smile

I bet you don’t have dirty pictures of Stina too (like me).
So there!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I am kind of reluctant of playing this series, because I for some reason is not a big fan of Swedish tv-series, books, etc, where the settings are based in Sweden. Don’t ask me why, it’s just how I feel for some reason. Smile

That’s funny. Jelena told me the same thing Smile

As for the order: it is fun to play at least the first three games in order to see how Carol settles herself in Sweden. After that it doesn’t matter so much.

Am I now a bigger fan than Oscar? I played all of them at least twice!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Oscar - 16 January 2013 04:17 AM

I haven’t played the first 3

Speaking of the first three* CR games: many players avoid them because of the “vaseline graphics” (aquarelle-like artsy pictures). I didn’t mind it at all, but I must admit that after playing the later CR games (with clear photographs) returning to the previous ones would be a slight problem for me, so I suggest you play CR games in order of publishing, as the most pleasant/least painful (and most logical) way to do it.
* or four/five, East Side Story and The Colour of Murder occasionally also have slightly smeared pictures
more expertise

tsa - 16 January 2013 03:37 PM

As for the order: it is fun to play at least the first three games in order to see how Carol settles herself in Sweden.

Here’s one more reason to do as suggested above.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 17 January 2013 03:36 AM

Speaking of the first three* CR games: many players avoid them because of the “vaseline graphics” (aquarelle-like artsy pictures).

Heh… my “vaseline” should be petroleum jelly, I think. Or paraffin. Over here Vaseline is more than just a brand name, but that may not be true for other countries.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Cheers once again for all advise regarding the series. Big shouts to Adventure Gamers top 3 Carol Reed fans (Zobraks, tsa, and Oscar) In no particular order. Smile

I think that I will pick up the latest game Amber’s Blood to start with. Hopefully I like the Swedish atmosphere in the game. Smile

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

But hey! Does anyone know if there will be a new Carol Reed adventure this year?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top