• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #52: Beneath a Steel Sky

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve reached the Ground Level!

Died once, but again it was deliberate (I willingly opened the doors of the radiation chamber).

My favourite moment was Joey using “the subtle approach” to get past the hologram. Tongue
Yelling them into submission always works. Grin
[spoiler]He might have been right too. As long as we don’t find anything out about this Overmann, there’s still a chance we’re Overmann. Or at least our mom was, which could be why they’re looking for us.[/spoiler]

Theory time:
We’re related to Overmann. Linc wants us alive (Linc killed Reich for that reason) because Linc needs our DNA to unlock a part of it / make it all-powerful.
Basically the plot to the Eagle Eye movie. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m really getting discouraged.  When I climbed the stairs after exiting the furnace room, I found myself on a different level than Hobbins’ workshop.  There’s no way back there until I fix the elevator, and it seems I can’t fix the elevator without the wrench to give Joey a new shell.  I went back to my save on Hobbins’ level, but when I set the elevator alarm off, I can’t get back to the cabinet to retrieve the wrench in time.  After about 10 tries, I’m ready to punch something.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 April 2019 04:13 PM

I’m really getting discouraged.  When I climbed the stairs after exiting the furnace room, I found myself on a different level than Hobbins’ workshop.  There’s no way back there until I fix the elevator, and it seems I can’t fix the elevator without the wrench to give Joey a new shell.  I went back to my save on Hobbins’ level, but when I set the elevator alarm off, I can’t get back to the cabinet to retrieve the wrench in time.  After about 10 tries, I’m ready to punch something.

After climbing the stairs you should be able to go right, stand on the elevator panel & have enough time to go right again into the next room, after setting off the alarm, & open the cupboard to just take the wrench - you should have enough time…. unless you’re trying to achieve it from the lower level???
Please don’t get discouraged Lady Kestrel as it doesn’t seem to me so far to be a ‘10 tries punch something’ game - hopefully. It’s very easy to get on the wrong track of thinking e.g. I thought I needed an eyeball for the retina scan…...maybe later….?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I found myself on a different level than Hobbins’ workshop.

You’re not. Access is possible from that level.
I’m just not sure at which point the guard in front of the recycling plant’s door leaves and you can get back in again, but you can.

And like chrissie says, you should have enough time. I got it on my second attempt, when I was fully prepared.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Phew!  I finally finished the first section.  My right hand has a tremor when I try to do something precisely and quickly, like clicking on a pixel in a short amount of time.  Often I can do it with just a little rehearsal of the movements, but sometimes it takes many tries to get it right, especially with overuse or if I’m tired.  It took me walking away for a while to ease some of the tension and then several more tries, but I finally managed to grab the wrench.  Since I didn’t realize the guard across from the power plant was going to move, I had gone back to a save, and it was only later that I saw he was gone.

Sam and Norville in the security area made me laugh, as did the guard by the downed helicopter and the guy with the clipboard when he patted down Foster.  I also like the banter between fiesty Joey and Foster

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 14 April 2019 04:49 PM

After climbing the stairs you should be able to go right, stand on the elevator panel & have enough time to go right again into the next room, after setting off the alarm, & open the cupboard to just take the wrench - you should have enough time…. unless you’re trying to achieve it from the lower level???
Please don’t get discouraged Lady Kestrel as it doesn’t seem to me so far to be a ‘10 tries punch something’ game - hopefully. It’s very easy to get on the wrong track of thinking e.g. I thought I needed an eyeball for the retina scan…...maybe later….?

That’s strange, I went down to the furnace before triggering the elevator. When I left the furnace room, I went upstairs then left and took the exit back to where we start the game. When I went back to the room with the wrench, Hobbins was gone so I just picked it up. I never had to trigger the elevator to get the wrench.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I guess if you’ve played the game before, that would probably be an option.  However, the adventure gamer in me always tells me to explore the whole area before attempting to go to another.  Besides that, talking to Hobbins the first time gave me some useful information (and some smiles). Smile

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m on the ground level. Enjoying Joey’s company a lot, other characters are mostly one-dimensional and their only purpose is to create a puzzle or a comic relief. The gameworld is cool, or at least the idea behind it, although it feels a bit underdeveloped and empty and not too exciting to explore. Some highlights like the virtual reality seem right at home, others, like the whole mad doctor sequence, are fun, but would be more suitable for a straight-up comedy game. At least Revolution created a unique cyberpun (he-he) experience. And they found the right balance between comedy and drama in later Broken Sword series.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have reached the current stopping point.

LINC-space reminds me of Morton’s dream in chapter 2 of The Dream Machine.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Pegbiter - 15 April 2019 04:33 PM

I have reached the current stopping point.

LINC-space reminds me of Morton’s dream in chapter 2 of The Dream Machine.

*Spoiler from Technobabylon follows*
It actually reminds me a lot of the trance from technobabylon

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now reached the ground level. I needed a little nudge to progress as I’d missed using Joey on the cable & then picking it up. Also Joey is so slow I didn’t think, as he wasn’t around, to use him more e.g. To talk to the hologram.
I did though manage to muddle through the LINC-space section myself!

TimovieMan - 14 April 2019 11:13 AM

Theory time:
We’re related to Overmann…....

Tim, did you not decrypt the documents while in LINC-space to later read them uncoded in one of the terminals?  or have I misunderstood?  Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 16 April 2019 08:58 AM

Tim, did you not decrypt the documents while in LINC-space to later read them uncoded in one of the terminals?  or have I misunderstood?  Smile

You got me there. I have decrypted the documents, but I have not yet read them uncoded in one of the terminals.
I reached the stopping point immediately after the LINC-space sequence, and I didn’t really tie up any loose ends, leaving them for the next section.

Is my theory already shot to pieces?

Don’t answer that. I’ll find out next week. Grin

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I know nothing Laughing

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 16 April 2019 11:19 AM

Is my theory already shot to pieces?

Don’t answer that. I’ll find out next week. Grin

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am at the next stopping point in the game. So far, so good. Fun old school adventure game. It also reminds me of Technobabylon a little bit.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top