• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Oh No - 3 Skulls of the Toltecs

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2018-08-26

PM

So, somehow 3 Skulls of the Toltecs just got re-released on steam.

I remember it cropping up roughly around the same time as Orion Burger, another game that looked promising but missed the mark round then. They both had good art, looked great and had interesting premises (3 Skulls had a sort of a western cowboy theme and Orion Burger an Alien Invasion/Time Loop idea). But 3 Skulls pretty much signalled the end of the great ‘90s point and clicks to me and I always recall it in this light - the light of a dying genre. TCOMI came through in ‘97 but after that it all went dark and most point-and-clicks then went 3D soon after.

Anyway, I have memories of intense dislike towards 3 Skulls. I remember it started off with a pretty awesome poker scene where you had to cheat your way through and then after that you went out searching for the three golden skulls. Problem was that it became unwinnable in many places if you tried to complete things in the wrong order. Also I recall there was a scene where you had to repeatedly get a gentleman to run out from a telegraph station by pulling a lever and if you didn’t do it at exactly the right time he would just run back inside - It took my hundreds and hundreds of attempts to get the timing right so he would KO himself when the wind slammed the station door in his face as he tried to run back inside.

Seriously… Is it just me? Did I get a bad reading on this one at the time? I was very young - maybe eight or nine. Should I TRY to play it again? Or was my child-mind actually a good reading of a very mediocre game?

All thoughts appreciated Smile

Reception: Certainly sir, what name shall I make the reservation for?
Gnome: How about you guess my name and if you get it wrong I eat for free?
Reception: Is it Ifnkovhgroghprm?
Ifnkovhgroghprm: Blasted internet walkthroughs!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I really enjoyed the game. I thought that there was a glitch playing poker and I had done something first that I shouldn’t have done(can’t remember what it was though) but Mr. Bill told me a different way to do things and it worked out. My biggest problem of the game was the slow movement of Fenimore.  It seemed to take forever for him to get to where I wanted him to go. I believe that on Mr. Bill’s website that he has an excellent walkthrough.  For the cheap price that it is now, I would get it. I have the disc version and it works well on SCUMM so I am going to keep using that. Now that you mentioned this game, I think I need to replay it!

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2018-08-26

PM

Hi mbday630

You know, I think you’re on to something. Fenimore was a bit slow walking but regardless of what impression anybody has of this game, it is somehow very memorable. Maybe it was the original Western setting.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I may go and get it as well. Something about it really sticks in my head still to this day and I often find myself thinking about 3 skulls and wondering why… I enjoyed it heaps at the start and I think got dissapointed and frustrated when I kept getting stuck in unwinnable positions. Maybe I’ll go back and remember the things I did like about it.

Reception: Certainly sir, what name shall I make the reservation for?
Gnome: How about you guess my name and if you get it wrong I eat for free?
Reception: Is it Ifnkovhgroghprm?
Ifnkovhgroghprm: Blasted internet walkthroughs!

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I never got the chance to play this back in the 90s. I played The Westerner which was meant to be a sequel, and enjoyed it, so I had thoughts of buying the remaster of Toltecs although the same concerns as Corduroy came up - and whenever I have tried going back in time to play a classic I haven’t tried it usually results in frustration. I really like the western setting - Al Emmo and Freddy Pharkas were great settings for adventure games.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I bought it as I had some spare change on my Steam account thanks to sold trading cards, so it was basically free for me and 3 Skulls is one of those adventures I’ve always wanted to play. Sadly enough, it seems to be clunky at the moment, as the game has crashed for me several times during normal interactions (moving around, talking etc.). Also, the upscaled cutscenes look a tad terrible, but the background art seems serviceable as do the character sprites.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2019-03-18

PM

Hello all, I am producer of “3 Skull of the Toltecs (Remastered)” I agree this is not the best adventure game for 90’s but was ok for these years, also we wanted to bring to life the game as we did with “The Westerner”, the remasterd version Fenimore Fillmore moves much faster than the original version, also we used the original assets (in paper) to remastered the game, unfortunatly we only found 90% of these original assets, so the sprites of the game are 90% of the time in much much better quality, and the cut scenes we used a filter to enlarge those because we didn’t find the originals.
Also the sound was improved as well, because the origianal was in 22050 sample rate, and we de-noise those audios and created new ones.
Of course is not prefect, but is the best we could did.
Thanks

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As far as I see, the biggest problem with the game is stability. It crashes a lot. The first time it crashed for me was after the opening cutscenes, when it halted in a black screen for a couple of minutes before crashing to desktop. Then it crashes when I was trying to talk to the monk after pulling the corpse behind the wagon. Then it crashed in Big Town when I was just walking around.

I don’t want to use a word unplayable, but three crashes within 30 or so minutes are pretty bad.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top