• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In which Nancy Drew game, the story and gameplay is closer to Secrets Can Kill: Remastered?

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2018-11-27

PM

Except for Ghost Of Thornton Hall, cuz i played it already.
Also you can pass the first 8 games, due to not working on Windows 10.
*Without spoilers, pls.*

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

That depends on which elements of the game you’re looking for. Warnings at Waverly Academy takes place in a boarding school, so it has some similarities with the high-school setting of Secrets Can Kill, although different since it’s an all-girls, upscale establishment (think plaid skirts and Victorian Gothic over vending machines and tracksuits). There are no major analogies besides that. The Deadly Device is the only other game in the series (as far as I know) in which Nancy investigates a murder, but apart from that the two games don’t have much in common. Now I don’t remember Secrets Can Kill too well, it’s not one of my favourites (it’s actually often considered to be one of the weakest instalments), so if there is a particular storyline or puzzle that you enjoyed, don’t hesitate to tell us more about it, perhaps I can try and point you in the right direction Smile

About Windows 10 compatibility, I’m pretty sure I launched Secret of the Scarlet Hand not too long ago, and have played a few of the older games in the past three years, so I’m positive there is a workaround (except for the second one, Stay Tuned for Danger, notoriously unplayable on modern machines).

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2018-11-27

PM

@NickyLarson, thanks for your response.

In the first game there were 3 things that I liked:
1 - That you can rotate 360 from start to finish, while in Thornton Hall you need more to click left, right, up and down.
2 - The hidden coins
3 - And focusing on the investigation rather than puzzles

So about Secret of the Scarlet Hand - there was no problem with the installation but when I tried to enter the game it didn’t responded. Maybe you have different version of Windows 10?

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I don’t recall another ND game with full 360° rotation in all spots, unfortunately. With the transition to Unity they’re working on, I surmise it will be possible in the next game, Midnight in Salem, if it is ever released.

There is a currency system and hidden coins in (at least) Phantom of Venice, The Silent Spy and Trail of the Twister. I would not recommend the latter if you like investigating, there is no real plot to it (you wander around taking pictures of clouds and supposedly chase a storm at some point but really there’s no mystery to it. I find it relaxing though.) I found The Silent Spy to be confusing and all over the place, the investigation made little sense, however it is generally well-liked by Nancy Drew fans. You might like Phantom of Venice, Nancy goes undercover, you snoop around a lot, and it’s a fun game, full of corny ND stuff.

You might also like The Deadly Device, it’s another murder investigation ; the setting is peculiar though (no exterior scene, heavy on scientific equipment). In Alibi in Ashes, you play as Nancy’s friends and have to interrogate suspects and collect clues in order to get her out of jail, this one’s not too heavy on puzzles.

Perhaps, avoid Ransom of the Seven Ships and Creature of the Kapu Cave, which are mostly a string of mini-games, and of course The Shattered Medallion which is just horrible.

If you ever solve the compatibility issues you’re encountering with older games, you may like The Final Scene and Secret of the Scarlet Hand. About that, if I recall correctly, the trick is to create a folder for the game in your Documents folder or on the Desktop and install the game in it, instead of in a folder in Program Files likes it does by default.
(and I take back what I wrote about Stay Tuned for Danger, apparently there is a way to make it work.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top