• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Black Mirror Vs Antivirus Software

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hey, so I finally decided to start playing the Black Mirror series. I installed the 1st game on my computer, but when it came to playing the game, my antivirus software stopped me and said it was infected with a trojan.adh.2 virus and a malware one. Is this just my antivirus software being silly or should I be concerned?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-10-18

PM

If you’ve installed a original disc version or legal download version of an online shop and not some pirated copy you shouldn’t worry. If a legal version would be infected by malware you would find a lot of info/threads about that.

So if you’ve installed a legal version it’s probably a false positive detection by your antivirus tool. You can also upload the EXE file of the game to https://www.virustotal.com/ - a webpage that check files with a lot of common antivirus tools. If the majority of the tools doesn’t detect malware you can be quite sure that the file is not infected.

If you’re curious why false positives are quite common these days you might want to read about the heuristic check method that is used by almost all antivirus tools: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic_analysis

These false positives are often gone with one of the next antivirus tools updates because they were reported and whitelisted by the antivirus tool developers.

If you’ve installed a pirated copy it’s much more probable that it’s infected by mal ware.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’s a legal copy, so it must just be an error. Thanks for the info. That website is brilliant! Grin

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It could be a problem with the copy protection.

Some versions of Black Mirror used the Starforce Copy Protection and Win XP and WIn 7 doesn’t like the old version of Starforce.

When I played Black Mirror earlier this month I put on a NO-CD patch to get round the protection and played the game without issue.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-10-18

PM

It’s correct that some of the first versions of Black Mirror are using an old Starforce copy protection that causes problems with Win Vista/7 (it works with Win XP normally).

But before I would try a NO-CD “patch” I would first have a look if it’s the case for the version I’m using. The reason is that NO-CD “patches” are rarely official patches or official files from the developer/publisher/distributor. In most cases they are cracks from piracy groups to get rid of the copy protection. And sometimes these cracks are infected with malware (rarely by the piracy groups, more often by people who forwarded or host the files). So I would be more cautious with NO-CD cracks than with official versions and patches.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top