• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1st Person RPG most like an adventure game?

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Looking for a 1sts person rpg that feels like an adventure game. Something that gives me options in how I pass obstacles.

For examples, Ii reach a pit. I can cast a spell to fly over it, I can pick a lock to bypass it, I can use my grapple hook to swing over it.

Sort of like Sorcery! or the text adventure portions of Pillars of Eternity.

Do any of the Wizardry, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder etc games feel like an adventure game in this way?

Most I’ve played are just kill enemy with (insert element) spell to do damage and kill them, collect loot, flip a lever, etc.

Where is the adventuring??!!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Many rpgs these days have an adventure feel. Theres a couple in particular i would prioritize. For first person: play vampire bloodlines. Its 15+ years old but remains one of the best. Also play the witcher 3, its not first person but its the same style with fantastic adventure like storytelling.

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Appreciate the reply but those aren’t what I’m looking for. Maybe i didn’t do a good job of explaining. I’m not looking for dialog options and such. I’m looking for a medieval fantasy that gives me tools and skills and allows me to use them cleverly in the environtment.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I second Bloodlines, it’s a fantastic story-driven RPG that feels very much like an adventure game that could be experienced in many ways. All other classic games in this category I can think of are 3rd person.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Agree bloodlines is a great game with many options, but I’m looking for something fantasy/medieval based. Should have specified.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what of QFGV? i think its most RPG ADVENTURING Related

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Does it absolutely HAVE to be 1st person? Because Ghost Of A Tale is pretty close to what you’re looking for in terms of adventure-heavy RPGs.

Edit: I’m not actually sure I understand the question. Choice of how to bypass obstacles is a feature of RPGs, very few adventures have that. If that’s what you are after, I would be trying RPG forums.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I always say “Planescape: Torment” in cases like this, because your stats give you additional options in how to solve quests (and combat can often be avoided), and it’s got the highest number of dialogue options of any game I’ve ever played.
It’s “spiritual successor” Tides of Numenera captures the same feel somewhat (and is also relatively light on combat because you can often talk your way out).

Both are third person isometric, though.

And I haven’t played these, but Anachronox might be in the vein of what you’re looking for, as well as Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. But again, third person.

You might have a very hard time finding any 1st person games that fit your needs.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Yeah Planescape would fit if he wasn’t looking for Medieval (and 1st person).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 25 February 2019 04:24 AM

Yeah Planescape would fit if he wasn’t looking for Medieval (and 1st person).

Planescape: Torment, like its name suggests, takes place in the Planescape multiverse, which is specifically a campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons RPG. I’d say D&D very much qualifies as the fantasy/medieval theme he’s looking for.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

You’re looking for Arx Fatalis. It has some decent puzzles and optional solutions for many obstacles. The combat can be tough, though, but you can sometimes use your environment for your advantage.
Even if you play a mage, not all spells you can cast appear in your spell book on their own. Some of them, you have to figure out first. Experimenting with the runes is part of the fun, but all combinations are logical.

Just one warning: You should know what you want your character to specialize in from the start, as he can’t get stronger than level 10, so you have to spend your skill points carefully. But you also need at least a few points in magic, as this it is essential for some optional solutions. Scrolls can compensate most of the magical power, but not all of it.

You can get Arx Fatalis on GoG or Steam.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 25 February 2019 04:13 AM

And I haven’t played these, but Anachronox might be in the vein of what you’re looking for, as well as Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. But again, third person.

Arcanum doesn’t really fit because it pretty combats heavy. But, it does allow multiple ways of solving things and it is an absolute beast in what comes to when you play with different kinds of characters and how people react to them.

Like if you play with a stupid character, people can’t believe you are the chosen one and your lack of intelligence is reflected even on the in-game journal, which becomes almost unintelligible gibberish. This goes even on voiced characters, who have a tonne of alternative dialogue just to use for characters with the intelligence of 1. The game becomes comedy gold played like that, as it does make a nice twist on the old chosen one narrative, especially when people just give you prophecy told items as you are too stupid to complete a simple quest.

If you, on the other hand, happen to be stupid, but beautiful and charismatic, people notice that as well, commenting on how it is almost impossible to believe someone as beautiful to be that stupid.

It does sound though that Indy is looking for something like the Legend of Grimrock or the recent Bard’s Tale IV, which is very puzzle heavy and the combat feels like puzzles as well. Might and Magic games have their fair share of puzzles as well.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

It is a very old game, but I can recommend Betrayal at Krondor (1993): very well written, great atmosphere and musical score. If I remember correctly, it had interesting puzzles (including lots of riddles) and a wide range of magical spells to use not only during combats. A great retro RPG, for sure.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I also recommend Arx Fatalis.  Thumbs Up

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top