• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Flash Casual Playthrough - League of Light: The Game

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 01 March 2019 07:11 PM

I have found another redheaded villain—Syndrome from The Incredibles. Reading all the background info about him, however, I’ve decided that it really isn’t his fault he’s a villain. He doesn’t appear to have freckles, though. It’s the freckles that show that Julia can’t be a villain. I trust her absolutely. Really I do.

He does have them. They’re just not highly visible, see here, and especially here from the intro where he’s still a kid.

rtrooney - 01 March 2019 08:35 PM

Boy! You have me stumped. I am in the process of replaying the game just for fun. I don’t remember any timed puzzle. Maybe it’s a CE thing. If you’re talking about the puzzle where you have to break each jewel in a triangle of jewels by rotating mini-jewels until the triangle is surrounded by three of the same color ... that puzzle was not timed in the SE version. (Maybe post a screenshot if that’s not the puzzle.)

That’s the one.
It was timed for me too, so it might be a CE thing. I was close the first time, and managed to do it the second time, but the timer was nearly up then too.

I think the animation is surprisingly good for a casual game. (Of course the opening cut scene in Angelica Weaver is the standard to which all casual game animations will be measured.) The blend of the 3D animation into the 2D background was done very well. One scene I can think of is the beginning of the Lake section. There is a rowboat in the middle of the lake in 2D. You use the crook to pull it to the shore, and it cuts to a 3D animation that brings it to the edge of the pier. And then it seamlessly goes back to 2D before you get to explore it. Very good stuff.

There was a bit where there’s animation of falling in the water and coming back up.
The underwater part almost looked FMV.

It makes me wonder why so many “Adventure” developers think “retro pixel” is the way to go.

Lucas Pope showed with Return of the Obra Dinn what it means to make retro graphics with modern technology. THAT’s the way to go if you go “retro”.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 01 March 2019 08:35 PM

Boy! You have me stumped. I am in the process of replaying the game just for fun. I don’t remember any timed puzzle. Maybe it’s a CE thing. If you’re talking about the puzzle where you have to break each jewel in a triangle of jewels by rotating mini-jewels until the triangle is surrounded by three of the same color ... that puzzle was not timed in the SE version. (Maybe post a screenshot if that’s not the puzzle.)

The difference may be that you’re playing it at the easier level, RT.  I tried six or seven times to get through it and finally just skipped it. 

I went through the game again this evening using the male voice for the detective, and I noticed that in a couple of lines of dialogue that the same man voiced both characters because he sounded like he was talking to himself.  Also, when playing as a female in the bonus chapter, the voice changed from female to male and back again a few times, which was very strange.

The bonus chapter was interesting, but the ending was a bit confusing. 

I had a couple of other ideas to share, but they’ve gone completely out of my head for now. 

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I especially enjoyed the animations that resulted when you were using an item or when our little helper was doing his thing.

There are times when it’s a good thing our helper is a scarecrow and not a real boy. Like when he’s on top of the column with a glass bowl thing over him—a real boy would have suffocated. Will he have to remain a scarecrow in order to be of any use to us?

I’ve finished the main game—it took me six and a half hours. I got all the owls and all the game figurines.

I watched the credits and got a crystal reward for it.  I liked the music when the credits were playing. I also noticed that Lani Minella (of Nancy Drew fame) was one of the voice actors—did she voice Julia? (Were there any other female voices in the game? I don’t remember one.) Or maybe she voices the protagonist if you choose to be a female?

Near the end, it seemed to me that we were solving puzzles just as they were set up by the watchers/gamesters. Were we SUPPOSED to end up in their chamber? Is that how you win the game? Why did they seem surprised when we managed it?

TimM—you’ve disproved my freckles theory. Sigh.  Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I thought the developers put a nice spin on several of the traditional puzzles.  For example, the Tower of Hanoi type puzzle with the sliding colored face disks we had to move to the center was simple enough not to become too tedious, and instead of having to find a hook or net to get items out of the piranha-filled aquarium, we used a bigger fish who didn’t have his lunch yet.  I could have done without all the target shooting puzzles because it’s usually the second of the crosshairs I miss, but I didn’t skip any of them.  One of my favorite puzzles was connecting the gems at the end to overload the system.

I do hope the next time we encounter the watchers we’ll be able to run a cleaning program on them.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Finished the game. I had a lot of fun with this one so thank you, Tim.  I ended up skipping one puzzle, the smashing triangles one, because I got fed up with trying to beat the clock. I also got a hint on the sliding bands puzzle where you need to line up the squares to spell nine as a roman numeral. I don’t think I ever would have figured it out despite the clues (nine in several different modes)pointing to that.

Was 95% sure Julie was a good person throughout although that small doubt made the game more interesting. I was a bit surprised that we didn’t give the diary to Julie. As an artifact of her relative it would have been prized for that reason as well as the information in it. And speaking of that relative, we know he thought he couldn’t get out of the cemetery but that doesn’t mean he didn’t get out somehow. Maybe he is out there trying to take down the watchers!

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Re: The “Smashing Triangles” puzzle. It is timed in the SE version as well. I was paying too much attention to the puzzle to notice the timing bar on the right. The only other timing bar was when you and Julia were looking for the antidote. That was on the left.

Anyway, I recalled seeing a puzzle like that in another game I played, and was regularly able to do it in under a minute, so the timing penalty never came into play.

Edit: Glad you liked it furgotten.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the bonus chapter. Took 1 hour 6 minutes, so the entire game took me 5 hours 41 minutes.

Interesting side case. A little hasty in its conclusion but at least we catch a couple of Watchers. There are more, though.

For a game that has a rather interesting helper, he doesn’t get used all that often. Sometimes it feels like they should have included him a bit more, especially in the bonus chapter where we only use him twice.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 02 March 2019 04:16 PM

Interesting side case. A little hasty in its conclusion but at least we catch a couple of Watchers. There are more, though.

For a game that has a rather interesting helper, he doesn’t get used all that often. Sometimes it feels like they should have included him a bit more, especially in the bonus chapter where we only use him twice.

Makes me wonder what the real mission of the Watchers is. You get the impression that they have been organizing “The Game” for centuries if not longer. Now that their platform is gone, what do they do? Makes me think of the dome in “The Hunger Games.” When the dome ceased to exist, the empire turned chaotic.

As for our little friend, I would rather he be underused than overused. I’ve played more that a few games where the mascot was so overused that I wondered why it wasn’t the main protagonist.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I don’t really care for “helpers”, especially the overly cute ones. They are more of a distraction that takes you out of the game. I have learned to live with them though and at least this one wasn’t that intrusive.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve finished the bonus game. It took me a little over an hour.

As LadyK mentioned, it was nice to see that the puzzles in this game differed from expectations.  For instance, the chess board with the figures. It was fun to do something other than play chess with them. And the rotating stone disks where you’re matching symbols—usually you rotate the rings and everything matches up all at once. I like the fact that this didn’t work—in fact, I think I used one of the symbols twice.

Other puzzles I enjoyed were the little guy in the tunnel, the business with Julia’s brothers that told a bit of a story during the puzzle (I like it a lot when story and puzzles are combined), the colored hexagon challenge and the colored triangle eyes.

I’ve been trying to figure out what was going on with the watchers/gamesters.  I now think the “winner” was supposed to be anyone who made it through the traps and into the watchers’ sanctuary. That final portal being a trap may have been standard—that a true “hero” would know to send some other schmuck through the portal first to see if there’s something dangerous there, or a true hero would look through the portal before actually stepping all the way through. (As I recall, Mads backed through the portal, not looking where he was going.) Then, when the hero reset the portal and solved the puzzle again and made it to the sanctuary, the watchers would normally reward him/her.

But it’s possible that this time what was different was that the watchers knew that Julia was there to destroy them.  So they may have set up an extra final portal monster trap just in an attempt to keep her out.

As for the bonus chapter ending. Lots of weird magic going on there!  I’m assuming that the townspeople in that remote village knew the watchers well—that the watchers would frequently come through town in order to get to their sanctuary. The town maybe wasn’t entirely happy at being used as the watcher’s bolt hole, and perhaps the pharmacist was preparing to trap the watchers and when he saw them panicking and trying to hide, he figured now was the time to trap as many as he could. I wonder why he calls himself a “pharmacist” when he’s really a wizard?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think everyone has pretty much finished playing the game. And those who purchased the CE version have finished playing the bonus game as well.

This game is kind of a fluke for me. League of Light is a series, yet this is the only game in the series I’ve played. I have no comment on the quality of the other games, but this particular game far exceeded my expectations, particularly when compared to the other casual games I played in 2018.

Thanks to everybody, TimovieMan, Lady K, chrissie, Becky and furgotten for playing along. I hope you found the “quirkiness” of the puzzles as enjoyable as I did.

We’ll have to this again sometime.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Thanks for leading a fun playthrough, Tim!

rtrooney - 05 March 2019 12:35 PM

We’ll have to this again sometime.  Smile

Definitely! Cool

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This was fun! Thanks for leading it, Tim.  Laughing

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Tim for initiating the playthrough - I enjoyed the game a lot. Hope we do it again.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 07 March 2019 01:40 PM

I enjoyed the game a lot. Hope we do it again.  Thumbs Up

Reminds me of that adventure-lite game, Apocalipsis: Harry at the End of the World, we played as a flash playthrough. Also an enjoyable game, except for the underwater escape puzzle! Took just about the same amount of time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top