• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why don’t you play more adventure games?

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2019-02-07

PM

SpeedBo - 10 February 2019 10:15 AM

How long to beat.com

Ripper – 10½ hours

My Dok, these gifted PSI-Judges never fail to amaze. I, for one, took 10 years.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Average times
The Witness - 18 hours

ROTFL!
On AVERAGE? Meaning that there are actually people who managed to complete 523 puzzles in less than 18 hours, including a timed sequence with constantly changing puzzles, including exploring a huge world, listening to tapes, watching videos, and backtracking to find everything? That is simply not possible, as anybody will know who played The Witness.

I guess that this how-long-to-beat site is not very reliable.  Tongue

EDIT: I visited the site and found that The Lost Crown apparently takes 18.5 hours to finish. Thirty minutes more than The Witness! Ludicrous.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I consider 10-15 hours to be a “full length” adventure. Greater than 15 hours is a particularly long game, and less than 10 hours may feel like its not a full release. Mileage of course varies, and i feel like games like the witness or the talos principle are in a different time category, where that style of puzzler would feel short at 10 hours.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Average times
The Witness - 18 hours

I’m slightly above the average: I’ve started playing The Witness in July (and haven’t finished it yet, of course) Crazy.
No, I’m not a moron, just playing it when I really feel like doing so and I’m a sucker for those long walks all over the island.

Oftentimes I get lost.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Karlok - 10 February 2019 12:28 PM

ROTFL!
On AVERAGE? Meaning that there are actually people who managed to complete 523 puzzles in less than 18 hours, including a timed sequence with constantly changing puzzles, including exploring a huge world, listening to tapes, watching videos, and backtracking to find everything? That is simply not possible, as anybody will know who played The Witness.

Perhaps some people are just very fast at getting through puzzles, or maybe they used a walkthrough. But that’s why they have different play type categories.

Main Story
Polled - 164
Average - 17h 42m
Median - 17h 22m
Rushed - 11h 46m
Leisure - 28h 46m

Completionists
Polled - 55      
Average - 47h 03m
Median - 45h
Rushed - 31h 19m
Leisure - 73h

All PlayStyles
Polled - 400      
Average - 25h 28m
Median - 22h
Rushed - 14h 52m
Leisure - 61h 52m

You have to keep in mind that it’s a poll, not an exact time like a movie. But it’ll give you a good idea how long it takes.

zobraks - 10 February 2019 02:21 PM

Average times
The Witness - 18 hours

I’m slightly above the average: I’ve started playing The Witness in July (and haven’t finished it yet, of course) Crazy.
No, I’m not a moron, just playing it when I really feel like doing so and I’m a sucker for those long walks all over the island.

Oftentimes I get lost.

Well good luck, I don’t think I’ll be going back to that island anytime soon.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

There are exceptions I know but many games from the past few years clock into ten hours or less.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SpeedBo - 10 February 2019 03:05 PM

Perhaps some people are just very fast at getting through puzzles, or maybe they used a walkthrough. But that’s why they have different play type categories.

Some people is not enough or the average would be much higher. Sorry SpeedBo, but polls that rate the average playing time in the Main Story category lower for The Witness than for The Lost Crown are totally worthless in my humble opinion.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Karlok - 10 February 2019 04:54 PM

Some people is not enough or the average would be much higher. Sorry SpeedBo, but polls that rate the average playing time in the Main Story category lower for The Witness than for The Lost Crown are totally worthless in my humble opinion.

400 people polled on “all play styles” with an average of 28.5 hrs. I’m willing say that it is more accurate than one opinion. The Lost Crown on the other hand only has 9 people polled so it might not be as accurate, and I haven’t played it so I couldn’t compare the two.

But hey, I just brought this site up to help out anyone looking for a short game. So it doesn’t really matter if the Witness takes 18 or 80 hours it is more than clear that it is a long game.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I often check How Long To Beat to get a rough ballpark guess at how long it’ll take me.
And I tend to focus on the “Completionist” playstyle, because that’s how I usually play.

Which would be 22 hours for The Lost Crown and 46 hours for The Witness.
I’ve logged less than 46 hours for both South Park RPGs combined, so that tells me that The Witness is probably one of the longest adventure games of all time.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Karlok - 10 February 2019 12:28 PM

Average times
The Witness - 18 hours

ROTFL!

EDIT: I visited the site and found that The Lost Crown apparently takes 18.5 hours to finish. Thirty minutes more than The Witness! Ludicrous.

I’m pretty sure you’re looking at the wrong thing then. There are 3 distinct times calculated - running through just the main story (18 hrs), doing some side activities in addition to the main quest (26 hrs) and finally doing everything (average of 48 hrs, not rushing 73 hrs)

You need to know which type of player you are and look at the times accordingly. It’s fairly accurate most of the time.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

In case anyone cares (probably not…), I am playing more adventure games!
I have already finished this year more adventure games (10) than last year, and still most of the year to go.

Of course, that’s cheating a bit, because some of those games are very short, like 1-2 hours to complete, so not all of them are the most longest journeys. And one of them (Freddy Pharkas) was actually started last year, eight months ago, but took that long to complete, because it’s not a very good game.

But at least I’m trying to make the OP happy or whatever.  Laughing

It is also my goal to have some variety with the games, which truthfully hasn’t happened so far as they have all been third person games, but I am hoping to do some first person and text only adventures too before the year is over.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Lack of time and also sometimes when I’ve spent the day solving problems for work, I’m a bit too tired to solve puzzles for fun. I work as a software engineer and I do think that solving puzzles and programing engage similar parts of my brain.

I’ve gone from playing 10+ games a year to barely more than 1 in the past 2 years.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

GateKeeper - 14 February 2019 11:56 AM

In case anyone cares (probably not…), I am playing more adventure games!
I have already finished this year more adventure games (10) than last year, and still most of the year to go.

Yay!

I’m trying something similar at the moment.
I’m attempting to allot more of my free time to gaming again, and particularly adventure gaming. I’ve already finished 5 games this year, which is more what I usually manage in an entire year, let alone two months. And two of those were even RPGs (which are far larger time sinks)!

Instead of only playing CPTs (and lagging behind most of the time), the idea is to be in front of the pack during CPTs this year, AND to still play other AGs at the same time. Maybe even finally making a dent in my backlog of classics I’ve never played.

Off to a good start with *finally* playing The Last Express, and finally playing a Tex Murphy game.

Curious to see how long it’ll last and what my tally will be for the year. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top