• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why don’t you play more adventure games?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Here‘s why. And it’s worth it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

zobraks - 27 January 2019 06:38 AM

Here‘s why. And it’s worth it.

Ha! You could have saved yourself 2 hours of adventuring time by skipping the tennis and reading that article after the match finished.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Blasphemy! Grin

Ok, I know tennis can be boring for many, but if you loved tennis and “Djokovic” (and I do) today you were in for an enormous treat (and I sure was).

Besides, I’ve spent more than a couple of hours watching AO.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Vehelon - 24 January 2019 01:45 AM

I am doing some research into why people do not play more adventure games. It could be anything, just provide a reason.

Vehelon - 25 January 2019 08:21 AM

I was looking for subjective answers, not objective reasoning why people do certain things.

The adventure game “umbrella” has gotten so large that it includes games with gameplay I don’t enjoy at all.
I don’t play those, no matter whether the developer calls them an “adventure game” or not.

Very few of the type of adventure games I like best (1st person puzzle/adventures) are being made, so in that respect I’m like Colpet. However those that are being made, like Xing or Quern, usually use 3D movement that gives me severe motion sickness, making the games unplayable by me. Unlike Colpet’s computer, my computer is perfectly capable of playing them, and the problem is the loose stomach behind the keyboard, which only gets worse with age.

As far as 1st person games go, this mostly leaves me with casual adventures such as those sold by Big Fish. The casual adventures don’t really hit the spot, being mostly too easy and having too many immersion-ruining popups.

That leaves me with the Carol Reed series. Maybe it’s something of a throwback now, but it’s one of few adventure game series I can still look forward to and enjoy.

I used to be a fan of Daedalic’s 3rd person games, especially the games in a fantasy setting like Dark Eye: Memoria.
But Daedalic doesn’t seem to be publishing games like that anymore.

DRM-restricted crippleware means I won’t buy it. By the time an adventure game is available as a DRM-free direct download from some place like GOG, Fireflower, etc., I’ve often lost interest. Syberia 3, for example, was crippled with Denuvo at release. By the time it was listed at GOG, I’d already checked it out on YouTube and saw nothing I was interested in spending time with.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2008-03-15

PM

The reason is because there aren’t a lot of adventure games with full motion with free roam of the kind in Dreamfall Chapters and the great detailed graphics of some of the latest RPGs. But first or third person view is fine. I play games for the graphics provided they have the motion/movement I mentioned. To relax amid wonderful visuals, whatever the genre, RPG, action, adventure.

And although that may be shallow I’m patiently waiting for adventure games with those two things: full motion with free roaming and detailed graphics. I realize the free roaming is not going to be everywhere. It has its limits to where you can go like in Dreamfall Chapters and in Myst 5. But those examples are good enough for my free roam desires.

Dreamfall’s draw distance is too short for me. It’s too out of focus in some mid to far distances for my tastes. That’s niche and for your survey this post may be too niche to matter, but I hope it’s not. Although that puts me in the minority there is still hope I will return to adventure games within the next couple of months as discussed in the next paragraph.

I’d prefer open world like the upcoming Eastshade adventure game next month but open world isn’t mandatory. It’s ok if it’s much smaller in area like the upcoming adventure Schizm 3 in March which I also can’t wait to get my hands on. Both are to have full motion and some free roaming, and may turn out to have superb graphics. If so I bet I’ll spend much if not most of my time in those two adventures. It feels good to end a post on a positive note especially if it may soon come true.

I tend to get wordy wherever I post on the net so I know I could’ve shortened this post to “not enough adventures with full motion free roam in 1st or 3rd person, and detailed graphics, but Eastshade and Schizm 3 could both be the magic solution to fix it for me.” So think of this paragraph as the Cliff Notes except put at the end.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

For me it is (almost) purely lack of time. I have fairly limited free time, and many other family members to compete with for computer time (plus in limited free time I tend to favor things I can do WITH the family, and adventure games are usually something of a solitary pursuit).

These days I also have the issue that I need to get a better computer to be able to even run a lot of the games I would be interested in. So there’s a money issue holding me back as well.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I play as many Adventure Games as I’ve got time to play so can’t play more! Occasionally when I’m not in the mood or have time to invest I’ll play a Casual Game which I do enjoy but they don’t quite hit the spot the same way as a good AG does.

A good question would be is how many new games I or anyone else buys/plays? At one time I think a lot of us would be trying the same games but there’s such a diversity now which leads I think to less common ground on the forums?
I’ll confess to buying less newer games - I’m a fan of 3rd person perspective graphic adventures - I’ll try anything else if I’m convinced I can sink into an excellent story!  Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I try to buy new games when appealing ones exist. On the 31st mages iniation and sunless skies both release. That will probably tie me up for new releases for a few months.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

chrissie - 28 January 2019 12:10 PM

A good question would be is how many new games I or anyone else buys/plays?

I buy lots of bundles, almost one every week or more.

Bundles are cheap so the risk of making a bad purchase is extremely low, as even one good game in the bundle can make it worth the money. Bundles are a very fast way to have a backlog of hundreds or even thousands of games, which may be a bad thing or a good thing, depending on your point of view.

Bundles are also a great way to find some adventure gems too. Somehow I never knew about “Ben There, Dan That” and “Time, Gentlemen, Please” before I got them in some bundle. Was that a great purchase or what? Those games went immediately very high on my all times Top Adventures list.

As for playing new games in the sense of right after release, I don’t do that anymore. These days I wait until they are patched and complete. I still have bad memories about Broken Sword 5, which was an OK game, but the way it was released in two halves and even those had game-breaking bugs was too annoying. So any game that I play, has to be at least 6-12 months from the release. I could buy it earlier of course, if there’s a good sale price somewhere.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

GateKeeper - 28 January 2019 01:05 PM

......... I still have bad memories about Broken Sword 5, which was an OK game, but the way it was released in two halves and even those had game-breaking bugs was too annoying. So any game that I play, has to be at least 6-12 months from the release. I could buy it earlier of course, if there’s a good sale price somewhere.

You are no adventure game fan

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 28 January 2019 12:10 PM

A good question would be is how many new games I or anyone else buys/plays? At one time I think a lot of us would be trying the same games but there’s such a diversity now which leads I think to less common ground on the forums?

With the amount of classics I’ve never played and the backlog of older games I already have, I just don’t see the point in buying new games.

I’ve got hundreds of games that I got in bundles and sales and that I still haven’t played, so new games are not a priority.

If I get a new game, then it’s because I backed it on Kickstarter. And I’ve only got Beautiful Desolation still in the works that way.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

For me the reason is pretty much what has been echoed earlier in the thread. I have little time to play, maybe 3 hours per week tops and at that rate you don’t really stick with the story well. I’m often puzzled and surprised to see some people showcase their production of played games of a period of a year, in some cases literally dozens of games, which means they are either very very talented players or have a lot of time on their hands.

But when I do play I tend to rather replay some of the old classics instead of newer games. I have tried Dreamfall Chapters, Broken Sword 5 and Broken Age and I just seem to lose interest each time I try….maybe due to the little time I have available.

I tend to replay Gabriel Knight 1 & 2 & Broken Sword 1 every couple of years or so. Conquests of the Longbow almost every year as that game oozes a kind of charm and fun you don’t see much these days.
Next on my todo list is to play the Double Fine remasters of Grim, DOTT and Full Throttle, which I all own but haven’t tried yet…

I do realize that the reason that I tend to revisit old games is not only because I think they are better, but also because of convenience, since I know these games so well, it’s kind of a casual relaxing playing time in which you enjoy the story and not have to worry about figuring out and spending time on complex puzzles.

Lazy, I know, but given the time available in an average week, it’s very very efficient

Crazy

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

It is very interesting topic. If I look into it globally, there is not so many newcomers to play adventures. I think that it is mainly because of globalisation and faster living style. With internet and smart phones people have less time for their hobbies, they are spending lot of times chatting or reading informations on websites. When they are going to play some game, they prefer action, which they can play only few minutes or hours. This is popular for FPS, MMORPG and similar games - you can play it in anytime you want, you should have only 20 minutes for playing it and when you finish, no problems. On the other hand, adventure games are usually “slower”, you need more time to get in, you need more time to play it in longer time windows and if you make a break for few days, you dont remember what happened before. And usually you need also think in the adventure games, which is not so friendly for current people.

And if I look into it from my side, biggest problem not to play more adventure games is time. If I want to start an adventure game, I am trying to make a plan to have time to play it during short time (lets say every evening during one week) as if there are longer breaks, I have big problems to get back into the game. Another issue for me is current style of “walking” adventures - I must say I dont like so much free world, where you are spending most of the time by walking around and looking for some things. When I play adventure game, I like to enjoy the story and puzzles, not walking and walking and walking…

That is also the reason why I like to play older games - there is plenty of older games which I didnt played yet and I know their quality, so I am looking forward to play them (one of the examples is The Raven I played few weeks ago). And there are some games which I have played many times and every 2-3 years I am going to replay them again - in this case I need to mention Gabriel Knight 2, Gabriel Knight 3, Phantasmagoria, Broken Sword, Riven, Neverhood…

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

PLuto - 30 January 2019 09:35 AM

This is popular for FPS, MMORPG and similar games - you can play it in anytime you want, you should have only 20 minutes for playing it and when you finish, no problems. On the other hand, adventure games are usually “slower”, you need more time to get in, you need more time to play it in longer time windows and if you make a break for few days, you dont remember what happened before.

I get your point, but there are literally hundreds of short AGS games which even have the description that can be completed within 30 minutes. Most of the games are available for free too, so it can’t be the only reason.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i feel agitated about reading made up excuses that could go for anything anytime.
my 2 cents are that this question is just the other side of the ‘are adventures dead’ coin. if there were good enough adventures in the of quality, variations, and quantity as well this wouldnt have been asked like it was 18 years ago. adventures will find a way and all will play as they used to when there are many Obduction(s) and Broken Age(s).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top