• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why do we like adventure games?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

This is just an open question, in the hope of gaining an overall impression of what others think. I have my own ideas which may or may not come out later.

All of us here have a preference for games with slowly evolving more cerebral interactive narratives, with environments to explore at leisure and obstacles or puzzles to overcome through contemplation rather than fast reflexes. Others might like the adrenaline rush of being amidst the action - some of us might like that too or other kinds, but we all have in common a preference for the kind I mentioned before.

Why? What are we seeking in it? What does it give us, or what do we believe it gives us? What drives us and our collective interest?

I’m not asking for answers like “I enjoy stories and puzzles and so-and-so”. That much is obvious. I’m interested in the why.

Maybe through a collaborative exploration of the topic we can find some answers, as the thread evolves.

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I like* adventure games because of what I am, and I’ve always been like this. While other kids played hide and seek, me and my pals spent warm summer nights sitting in the yard and telling stories about mysterious events we heard or read about.
I’m a latecomer to computers and games (played my first computer game ever around 1990, my first adventure game in 2000), but long before I even heard about AGs I had known what kind of games I would like to play and had a pretty good idea what ingredients those would have: stories, mysteries, puzzles…

Adventure games turned out to be all I had hoped for. And more.

*I LOVE them, actually

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Because, whether you play them or make them, they give you the illusion of participating in engaging stories without there being million dollar budgets involved.

And because we’re NEEEEEERDSSSSS!!!!

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Mr Underhill - 13 December 2018 04:57 AM

Because, whether you play them or make them, they give you the illusion of participating in engaging stories without there being million dollar budgets involved.

Okay, sure. And why do you think we want to participate in engaging stories? I mean there must be some reason we want to and others don’t, right?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I’ve always liked a good story, whether that was from a book, or from a movie, or any other medium. I’ve been into movies for as long as I can remember. Video games only came later.

But video games are less passive compared to movies. You’re not just watching a story unfold, you’re actively participating in it, driving it forward.
I guess this is why games are so much more immersive for me (and possibly why horror games freak me out while movies never do).
Being more immersive makes me more invested in the story, and no genre does this better than the adventure genre.

Even in other genres, I tend to prefer the ones that have a real narrative going (RPGs mostly).

As for puzzle solving, that’s always been my thing. I’m quite intelligent, and I’m on the autism spectrum (which probably doesn’t help), so whenever I see a puzzle, I want to solve it. Any type of puzzle.
And adventure games are a perfect fit for this. The entire game is one big puzzle made up of lots and lots of smaller puzzles (with a lot of variety in them). And the best part of it is that you can usually take your time to think things through in them.
No pressure because someone’s shooting at you or something. Also a reason why I prefer turn-based over real-time in other genres as well.

So, while this probably isn’t really the “why” you’re looking for (it boils down to “I like narratives and puzzles” after all), these are my reasons for liking AGs.

Actually, does there really have to be a deeper meaning? Can’t I just be shallow instead? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I think it’s the combination of a good story, solving mysteries and such, enjoying bizarre situations, and trying to think new ways to use available items.

It’s more or less the same reasons why people like to watch MacGyver, only with an added interactive component.

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I like adventures games because they challenge me, they make me think. When I solve a well-designed puzzle I feel a mental orgasm. And I can’t find that in other kind of games.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Another element about adventure games is that their “puzzles” or their kind of problem solving is a natural way for making interactvity into challenge. In more interactive games there are environment dependent interactions (objects in gameworld are not just skins on gameworld) and you can make those into challenges by making player to guess right ways to interact with environment to reach her goals and to overcome problems.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’ve always liked puzzles, but what first attracted me to adventure games was being able to explore a virtual world without being harrassed and shot at by enemies.
Although I enjoy pure puzzle games, they don’t allow much in the way of exploration.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there is no other way, i would renounce gaming if there were no adventures

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It all boils down to problem solving. In many games the problem and the solution are laid out for you. Press A to fire lasers at the aliens, dodge the lasers fired back at you, do this with increasing rapid succession. The dream of an adventure game is the problem and its solution cant be found in the rulebook. The game is going to create a reality that you try to exist in and solve in ways that should not be immediately apparent to the player… because to the player anything could happen, so anything could be needed to solve it. While other games might have aspects of this sprinkled in, adventure games entirely revolve around this idea.
A great example that comes to mind: theres a couple adventure games on the DS that have 1 or 2 puzzles where you use the system itself in unexpected ways.. like thinking of the system as a box that closes in order to solve something. Or (even though this puzzle made me mad) the volume puzzle in one of the deponia games. These specific puzzles are not needed in an adventure game at all, but the very fact the game gets your brain thinking in all these different directions is what makes these games special.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I just like to jump into another world every now & again - sometimes just for the fun of it & sometimes just to get away from reality.  Smile

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 13 December 2018 06:29 AM

So, while this probably isn’t really the “why” you’re looking for (it boils down to “I like narratives and puzzles” after all), these are my reasons for liking AGs.

Actually, does there really have to be a deeper meaning? Can’t I just be shallow instead? Tongue

You can, but I really would prefer the “why” part to be discussed.

Everyone knows what we like about adventure games, and we don’t need a thread for that.

Even if you think about what you like about AGs and then think to yourself “WHY do I like this? why don’t many other people? what does that say about me compared to others?” then that would be extremely helpful and would set the thread apart from the typical boring AG fan thread.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

My first games as a kid was on the NES. It was a fun way to kill a few minutes but to me nothing more than that. I was much more into movies or reading novels and comic books. All that changed when I played my first adventure game.

For some sort of philosophical answer as to why I enjoy it, “escapism” and “problem-solving” are probably the ones that most fit the bill.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Ever since I got my first Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid, I always liked the idea of stories that you could interact with.  And while I was growing up adventure games seemed like the only genre of video games that took storytelling seriously.  So it was a natural fit.

Now that the video game industry has matured and grown so much, good storytelling has made its way into almost every genre.  So unlike fans that were more drawn to the puzzles, I’m much more willing to branch out into other genres.  Some non-adventure games like The Last of Us, Yakuza 0, and Higurashi: When They Cry are IMO as good as anything the adventure genre has ever made.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I love the mental challenge and the ability to escape into different worlds that adventure games provide. Basically, they give me pleasure.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top