• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved the intro to Indy. Making it playable really added to the fun. I had high hopes for this game when I bought it and from beginning to end it didn’t disappoint.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I found the design for the intro to FoA to be quite clever in a number of ways.

First, Indy swings in through a window, which immediately sets a more adventure-y tone than if he just walked in.
Second, in one short line of dialog he establishes that finding the statue is the goal of the intro.
Third, by removing the verb-based interface that is opened up later, it streamlines the gameplay at the beginning to keep things moving along to give a sense of progression and achivement to the player.  This is made even more pronounced by the fact that this section is all played through single rooms, meaning once you leave one of the rooms you can’t go back to it.

Everything here really drives the player forward and provides for an early win to get the player invested in the game.

Then, once we get to the meeting with Klaus Kerner, it’s very quickly established that Kerner is the bad guy and Sophia is going to be the sidekick.  I really appreciate the economy in storytelling that happens through this whole beginning section.

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Haven’t had a chance to play since I finished the intro. RL getting in the way. Specifically a backed up sewer line. Plumber was out today and got the basics taken care of. But I have two days of clean-up to do before I can devote time the the important stuff.

Yes, the intro was very clever. Although there was no “real” puzzle solving, it did have that feeling. Sierra did something similar. I know that the opening drug store sequence in FPFP required some real puzzle solving that was part of the game’s copy protection. The Dagger of Amon Ra had a series of coffin puzzles that also acted as copy protection.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Sabacc,
I added spoiler tags to some of your comments for those of us who may not have played the intro yet.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I’ve played this game 3 or 4 times, the last time being 6-8 years ago. The crazy thing is though, I never realized that there were multiple (random) locations for the lost dialogue of Plato. Every time in my past playthroughs it was always in the tipped over bookshelf, but this time it was in the wax cat! So I just always assumed that the other locations and items were simply red herrings. Well, technically, I guess they still are. Anyway, just like watching a movie you’ve seen many times, there’s always something new you never realized or noticed before. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There’s a lot of stuff that’s random in the game, or where there’s more than one solution.
That might not be obvious from just a single playthrough, but going over the game several times really makes this all stand out.

The game’s replayability is one of its strengths, which is why I wanted to include as much of it as possible in this playthrough.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Welp, looks like I’m playing FoA again. We’ll see how long that sticks, but for the time being, I’m in.

Not much to add at this point. I really like the intro. These days, I find that when I’m in a mood to play a game, I want to play the game, and not sit through some shitty, self-indulgent 15-minute movie before I can get to it. My patience for long non-interactive intros has become really, really limited. So FoA is perfect in that regard!

Not a fan of the voice acting. That might be partly due to my only playing the floppy version for years and only acquiring the talkie version very recently. I guess Indy and Sophia are alright, but everyone else so far has been abysmal.

I like that Indy’s office looks more or less like it did in Indy 3, but from a different angle.

Finally, I know this is silly, but the puzzle about figuring out the name of the lost dialogue bothers me a bit. I mean, it’s a cute little puzzle, but [spoiler]Sophia should really have known the answer, as would anyone with even a passing knowledge of Plato’s works about Atlantis. Or maybe she’s just a complete hack. Actually, that sounds about right.[/spoiler]

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 14 December 2018 07:50 AM

Not a fan of the voice acting. That might be partly due to my only playing the floppy version for years and only acquiring the talkie version very recently. I guess Indy and Sophia are alright, but everyone else so far has been abysmal.

I had the same issue when I first got the talkie version. I was used to the floppy version and then hearing them didn’t feel right.
I actually still have the most trouble with Indy’s voice, but that’s mainly because he doesn’t sound like Harrison Ford, not because the voice actor’s not doing a proper job.

Finally, I know this is silly, but the puzzle about figuring out the name of the lost dialogue bothers me a bit. I mean, it’s a cute little puzzle, but [spoiler]Sophia should really have known the answer, as would anyone with even a passing knowledge of Plato’s works about Atlantis. Or maybe she’s just a complete hack. Actually, that sounds about right.[/spoiler]

Actually, [spoiler]Sophia’s knowledge on Atlantis comes from her link with Nur-Ab-Sal, so I’d argue that she’s got more knowledge about Atlantis itself than about works about Atlantis[/spoiler].

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 14 December 2018 08:04 AM

Actually, [spoiler]Sophia’s knowledge on Atlantis comes from her link with Nur-Ab-Sal, so I’d argue that she’s got more knowledge about Atlantis itself than about works about Atlantis[/spoiler].

She specifically cites Plato during her lecture. You’d think that’d mean she’d read him. Don’t try to defend her; she’s a hack. Tongue

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Yeah the voice acting is a hit and miss, which is nothing out of the ordinary for a game from 1992. I still think that Gabriel Knight 1 was the first game with a decent cast of voice actors, from which several were known hollywood actors.

I actually think that the actor that does Indy is pretty good. It’s no Harrison Ford, but trying to mimic Harrison Ford would be very tricky as it can quickly spiral to becoming ridiculous. The voice actor doesn’t sound like Ford, but fits the character pretty well. So for a game of 1992 I think that one worked out really well.

Sofia is fine too. The worst offenders are in fact the actor that does the evil german doctor and Marcus. Both are horrible and bring the experience down to a saturday morning cartoon show level.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

This is also the first time I’ve played it with voices. I too agree it felt odd at first because I always had my own idea of how they sounded in my mind. Indy being Harrison Ford of course. Regardless his voice is starting to grow on me and Sophia pretty much sounds the way I had imagined. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I don’t mind Indy’s voice. He still sounds more or less like Indy should.

He actually sounds almost exactly like George Stobbart, especially if you compare it to the first Broken Sword.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

IFA was a huge critical and sales success, over one million copies sold.

Sadly, there were two attempts at creating a sequel that came to nothing. I hear that there could be a fan game in the making.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Mikekelly - 15 December 2018 09:46 AM

IFA was a huge critical and sales success, over one million copies sold.

Sadly, there were two attempts at creating a sequel that came to nothing. I hear that there could be a fan game in the making.

Heart

If what has been shown of the planned sequel is anything to go by, The Iron Phoenix could have been a great game. Embarassed

The Fountain of Youth have been in development for a very long time. To bad that the remake of Atlantis got a Cease and Desist Order, although it’s not a big suprise.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Alright, it’s Sunday, December 16th. I hope everyone has reached the branching point?

Some end-of-section questions for you all to answer:

- How did you bypass Biff the doorman?
(Alternatively: what did Sophia suggest during her fortune reading: wits, team or fists? - her answer is a direct consequence of your choice with Biff)

- Where did you find Plato’s Lost Dialogue?

- What’s your favourite location so far?

Now that we have Plato’s Lost Dialogue, it’s time to continue!

And we’re going to start with the puzzle-wise easiest section, the FISTS path.

You can select the FISTS path by choosing the ‘action’ dialogue option (‘fighting your way through’ or ‘going into action by yourself’).

You then have until next Sunday, December 23rd, to reach this dark location:

Note: this will be the second dark location you’ll find yourself in in this section. There’s another one earlier.

Some advice for the coming section:

- You now have Plato’s Lost Dialogue in your possession. READ IT!!!
It contains some useful information and some hints that will help down the road!

- Pressing ‘0’ (or ‘Insert’) during fights will “sucker-punch” your opponent in a fight, which means an instant win. This works against all but one exceptionally strong opponent (it’ll be obvious who once you meet him, imo).

- If you still wish to ‘properly’ fight your opponents, then take this piece of advice: if your opponent seems stronger than the regular opponents, then that means there was an alternative way to beat him without fighting. Wink

- No other path in the game will have more danger than this coming section. Save often!
Losing a fight means the Nazis get to the power of Atlantis because Indy’s no longer there to stop them…

As always, if you’re stuck, or need a gentle hint, don’t hesitate to ask.
And feel free to talk about anything you encounter. Just use spoiler tags where appropriate…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top