• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games with uplifting, spiritual message

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jofog - 03 December 2018 02:40 PM

The Sexy Brutale is about the murders of all of the guests and I’m not sure it had any higher spiritual meaning.

the word “had” implies you played it

Jofog - 03 December 2018 04:33 PM

Yes, I did miss the ending because I own it but haven’t played it. I was going by the game description.

someone specifically asks for a game with an uplifting message and you discuss a game you haven’t played?

[...]

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I do agree with Karlok that if you’re discussing a specific plot point or the ending of a game, please be considerate of the people who haven’t played the game yet and use the spoiler tags.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Come to think of it, one of my all time favo(u)rite games is all about spirituality. But in a wacky hilarious spoofy way. And it also features a violent scene where you have to shoot priests of various denominations, Doom style.

P.S. Each time one of you click on that link I earn 1,000,000 dollars. Cool Suckers!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 December 2018 06:17 PM

I do agree with Karlok that if you’re discussing a specific plot point or the ending of a game, please be considerate of the people who haven’t played the game yet and use the spoiler tags.

Yeah, I did think of that after I posted but didn’t have time to change it so apologies.

Btw, if you haven’t played Stories Untold or Sexy Brutale by now… why on earth not? Cool

(On further thought, how would it be possible to post a seemingly non-spiritual or non-meaningful game in this thread and not spoil it? Just by mentioning the title of such a game you’re pointing out that it’s not about what it appears to be, and according to most people here that’s a spoiler!)

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Oscar - 04 December 2018 04:22 AM

(On further thought, how would it be possible to post a seemingly non-spiritual or non-meaningful game in this thread and not spoil it? Just by mentioning the title of such a game you’re pointing out that it’s not about what it appears to be, and according to most people here that’s a spoiler!)

That’s a fair point! Though saying ‘there may be more to this’ is quite a way short of telling us what.

(aside: Is there any way to blank the content of spoiler tags in notification emails? If I’m following a thread and someone posts spoilers, the email shows the spoiler in plain text even when tags are used.)

I’ll nominate The Shivah.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Phlebas - 04 December 2018 05:30 AM

I’ll nominate The Shivah.

I have been thinking that ever since I read the first post, but that is in a sense a violent game as it’s built around solving murders and stuff. Also I don’t consider that game having any kind of “spiritual message” even though it deals with rabbis and such.
It’s a very good game though. One of the best ever, if you ask me.

If we reach just a little bit here, I think Time, Gentlemen, Please might be considered. While nothing as such in that game is spiritual, the ending is kind of spiritually loaded. What one wants to think of that, is another thing.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2018-12-03

PM

The Sexy Brutale is about the murders of all of the guests and I’m not sure it had any higher spiritual meaning. Do you mean games with no action fighting sequences? Or QTEs.

Sorry for not explaining well.

Violence in a game is okay, but I prefer if the main character does not have to fight or resort to violence. But sometimes showing violence helps to get a message across, I just do not believe in it as a solution.

Thanks Heart

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

So basically any game where instead of shooting someone, you rather have to ducttape together two cats to wear as a hat, so that the scanner on the door identifies you as Mickey Mouse. Just that you can waste the next 30 minutes screaming at the screen before stumbling across the solution to the sliding puzzle on said door. Then when you’re finally inside about to perform your nailbiting rescue, you finally manage to get out by frantically trying to use every inventory item onto eacother, and in addition onto all the pixels in every scene in the game?

Sounds like you’d like all the beloved games listed on this site, save for a few of them with “blood” and “murder” in the title. Smile

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Hold Me Close, Cooed The Dove - 04 December 2018 06:25 AM

The Sexy Brutale is about the murders of all of the guests and I’m not sure it had any higher spiritual meaning. Do you mean games with no action fighting sequences? Or QTEs.

Sorry for not explaining well.

Violence in a game is okay, but I prefer if the main character does not have to fight or resort to violence. But sometimes showing violence helps to get a message across, I just do not believe in it as a solution.

Thanks Heart

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered why you had played Sexy Brutale when the game description specifically said it was about murder. That certainly makes recommendations easier because it broadens the possibilities.

I would recommend The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. The protagonist uses no violence but is the observer. I’d call it a walking sim but it has a very compelling story and some of the most beautiful graphics in any game that I’ve ever played.

The Blackwell series is wonderful if you don’t mind somewhat dated graphics. The story and the characters shine. You’d need to play the whole series to get the full story.

Someone has already mentioned Syberia. No violence and the ending is so beautiful and satisfying that it brought me to tears.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’d like to mention The Wild Eternal. I don’t know if it is what you’re looking for, and it works better if you are at least a little bit interested in Buddhism, but it is non-violent (you might get attacked by tigers sometimes, but you can’t fight back and there is no real consequence - except for losing some inventory items that you can find scattered around your spawning point - since, well, you’re already dead) and definitely one of the most spiritually-infused game I’ve ever played.  It falls under the “walking simulator” category, except you play as the soul of a dead woman seeking to escape the eternal circle of reincarnation. Oh, and there’s a talking fox.

I haven’t played XING : The Land Beyond but I hear it takes place in the land(s) of the dead and raises questions about destiny and the importance of legacy, maybe someone who has played it can tell if it fits the bill?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

NickyLarson - 04 December 2018 12:04 PM

I’d like to mention The Wild Eternal. I don’t know if it is what you’re looking for, and it works better if you are at least a little bit interested in Buddhism, but it is non-violent (you might get attacked by tigers sometimes, but you can’t fight back and there is no real consequence - except for losing some inventory items that you can find scattered around your spawning point - since, well, you’re already dead) and definitely one of the most spiritually-infused game I’ve ever played.  It falls under the “walking simulator” category, except you play as the soul of a dead woman seeking to escape the eternal circle of reincarnation. Oh, and there’s a talking fox.

Oh wow, that looks glorious. How did I miss this? Gasp

I haven’t played XING : The Land Beyond but I hear it takes place in the land(s) of the dead and raises questions about destiny and the importance of legacy, maybe someone who has played it can tell if it fits the bill?

It sure does! And it’s one of my favorite games Laughing 

Another I would like to put out there is Thomas Was Alone. It’s about a group of sentient tetris blocks with self-esteem problems, so it’s slightly unusual, but has a lovely message about friendship and self-image.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Despite fighting i think there is subtly delivered New Age spirituality in Quest for Glory games. Also one of points of character of Grace in Gabriel Knight series is discussing spiritual meaning of what is going on in story.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I have thought about mentioning What Remains Of Edith Finch, but I’m not really sure if it’s a very spiritual game. On certain levels it is quite deep in the way it depicts the characters and the psychological aspect of experiencing their past. But in the end it sort of hand-waves the significance of what happened away with vague allusions to supernatural curses and ‘fate’ without much depth or thought to what happened Certainly a poignant game, but maybe not so spiritual.

Of course, all this depends on what we mean by spiritual.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gray Dawn man, very spiritual game, but i dont consider it uplifting unless you are a fan of hidden msgs.

Much fun, a very unique adventure with its own unique theme, perfect for Christmas? i couldn’t tell

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2018-12-03

PM

Advie - 20 December 2018 05:53 PM

Gray Dawn man, very spiritual game, but i dont consider it uplifting unless you are a fan of hidden msgs.

Much fun, a very unique adventure with its own unique theme, perfect for Christmas? i couldn’t tell

\

Interesting one. I read the review and it was not clear about this and only said it was very dark, so I would like to know
1. What is the general theme of the message?
2. Is it uplifting, positive message?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top