• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Monkey Island 6?

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I have been waiting nearly 10 years for the follow up to Tales Of Monkey Island. I want to know what happens to my beloved Elaine and Guybrush!!!

What gives? Why are they making us wait so long??? I am a patient person and I know it takes a long time to make a game (between Escape and Tales there was nearly 10 years also) but I really really want to see a new game in the series!!!

Am I crazy or is someone else thinking the same like me too???  Confused

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

is it time for the weekly thread of MI?

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-03-05

PM

Dude, I would love nothing more than to play a new entry in the Monkey Island series. Unfortunately Disney owns the IP and so far their level of reverence for the old Lucas games has only gotten us as far as digital re-releases and Double Fine’s remasters. It’s great that they’ve done that, but that’s a very different thing to putting money into a new project altogether. There’s way more financial risk involved with very little incentive.

The only way I can see the series continuing is if Tim Schafer stood up and spoke to the Mouse about another Double Fine Kickstarter. Let’s be honest here, Ron Gilbert is never going to own the license, Disney are buying up EVERYTHING right now and they’re not going to let a single thing go, even if Ron drove up to them with more money than could fit in Guybrush’s seemingly bottomless pants. Also, Tim has more clout to get something like that done, he’s proven more successful in recent times with his games and unfortunately Ron’s last adventure game didn’t sell amazingly (which is criminal IMO, Thimbleweed Park was fantastic). Also having a recent relationship with them means there’s more of an opening there.

Sadly, I don’t think he’s interested, so until he is or a miracle happens, they’re done. Forget about another season of Tales now that Telltale’s days are numbered.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I think Monkey Island has run its course, it’s been done, it’s been played, time to move on.

They would really need to come up with some new ideas for a new game, I mean how many times do we want to see LeChuck somehow becoming back again transformed?

All five games have been nice, to a varying degree, but it would be better to come up with something completely new. And that’s pretty much what has to happen anyway, as LucasArts is now merged to Disney, Telltale is going bankrupt, there’s no one left from any previous teams.

If they could somehow do something great, then I’m all for it!
But let’s be honest, other than everything cool that the first game introduced, and the controversial but clear change in the third game, has any other Monkey Island really contributed something that those two didn’t?
(OK, don’t say Monkey Combat…  Pan )

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

GateKeeper - 02 December 2018 03:16 PM

But let’s be honest, other than everything cool that the first game introduced, and the controversial but clear change in the third game, has any other Monkey Island really contributed something that those two didn’t?
(OK, don’t say Monkey Combat…  Pan )

I wouldn’t even say that 1 and 3 “introduced” anything, whatever that word might mean. They were funny, they had cool puzzles and characters and that’s why they were loved. They didn’t do anything new.

And that’s all we need. And hell, a new MI game could easily work because that’s all the fans ever needed. The writing and art teams just have to be up to it, that’s all, and that’s not a small task - Michael Land excepted, of course!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Donuts McGee - 03 December 2018 01:50 AM

And that’s all we need.

Is it? This is my own personal opinion, obviously, but I don’t really see the point of doing yet another rehash of the same old. I see very little reason to run MI completely to the ground like something like the Police Academy-movies for an example.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I wouldn’t even say that 1 and 3 “introduced” anything, whatever that word might mean.

I meant that more on the series level than in general, like Stan’s jacket was introduced in the first game, and then repeated in every MI game that followed, but even generally speaking, especially the first game introduced a whole lot of things.

One thing that comes to mind is the opening scene of the game, which in just few sentences tells who the protagonist is, what the main goal of the game is, and where the player should head next. I don’t recall any game that did it like that before, and not too many have done it so well after.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

tomimt - 03 December 2018 03:26 AM

And that’s all we need.

Is it? This is my own personal opinion, obviously, but I don’t really see the point of doing yet another rehash of the same old. I see very little reason to run MI completely to the ground like something like the Police Academy-movies for an example.

I think you may be in the minority there.

Look at it this way: Escape wasn’t a rehash and Tales kinda was. And yet Escape was widely panned and Tales praised by fans and critics alike.

And just because something has 5 instalments doesn’t mean it will be ‘run into the ground’. Look at the franchises which continue to be successful after many more than that - Batman, James Bond, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star wars…

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Donuts McGee - 03 December 2018 03:58 AM

I think you may be in the minority there.

Look at it this way: Escape wasn’t a rehash and Tales kinda was. And yet Escape was widely panned and Tales praised by fans and critics alike.

I have never seen anyone praise that game. The best reviews I have seen said that it’s OK, and better than expected, but I wouldn’t call that praising.

And yes, both of those games are repeating what the previous games have done. All characters from those games are brought back, Tales even cracks a joke about LeChuck’s endless comebacks in a metamorphosis of all those incarnations.

And just because something has 5 instalments doesn’t mean it will be ‘run into the ground’. Look at the franchises which continue to be successful after many more than that - Batman, James Bond, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star wars…

Batman: 60s was good, 80s was good until Joel Schumacher ruined it, these new ones are not good. Animation varies in quality.

James Bond: they have had better and worse ones, Brosnan movies were mostly awful, and they got even worse with Craig movies.

Harry Potter: OK, that might work, then again, I’m not that familiar with Potter.

Star Trek: series has had many really bad ones, like the 5th and 10th movie, and these new remakes are so embarrasingly bad that I regret ever seeing any of them. Star Trek Discovery makes them look good in comparison though.

Star Wars: the first movie is brilliant as a stand-alone movie. The two sequels are watchable. The prequels are simply put bad. The new ones are better than prequels, but mess many things otherwise, so seeing them leaves a bad taste.

So you can make money with putting out sequels, but in terms of quality, it’s very rare that you can produce something better.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think Pirates of the Caribbean might be a better example here. A franchise that started with a great, very Monkey Island-ish movie, but became worse and worse with every new sequel as they ran out of ideas.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think there’s a reason why many people think MI2 is not only the best sequel but also the best game in the whole series. It was while retaining familiar elements, very different from the first game. It has an atmosphere that feels and doesn’t feel like the first game did and it had the feeling there was some genuine progress as well as similarity to the first game in terms of world, story and the characters.

The game ditched elements, that didn’t quite work, as the insult sword fighting, and expanded on what worked. MI3 did that to a degree, but not as far as MI2 did and the rest of the games just don’t really bring anything new to the table. MI4 and 5 felt more stagnant and neither of them really is a game that endures multiple playthroughs. Even with better UI and controls, MI4 isn’t a game that can carry itself to the end the second time, that was at least how it felt to me when I tried to play it through again recently. MI5 I haven’t even bothered to try again since it came out.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

First 3 games were a masterpiece. Escape and Tales were merely ok.
Tales started out fantastic but became a disjointed mess towards the end. I felt that episodic nature really hurt its pace and you could see developers were under tight dead-lines for each episode, so they were taking shortcuts: reused characters, animations, lack of polish, etc.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

GateKeeper - 03 December 2018 04:28 AM

Batman: 60s was good, 80s was good until Joel Schumacher ruined it, these new ones are not good. Animation varies in quality.

The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are by far the best ones. I might be wrong here but I don’t believe any other comic movie netted one of its actors an Oscar. The new Mad Max is in my opinion better than the Mel Gibson ones.

In games, the new Spiderman game is the best Spiderman game out there, and the Arkham Batman games are also the best ones out there. Just because something was good before doesn’t mean it can’t be done as good or better if given to the right creative force.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

SoccerDude - 04 December 2018 05:50 PM

The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are by far the best ones. I might be wrong here but I don’t believe any other comic movie netted one of its actors an Oscar. The new Mad Max is in my opinion better than the Mel Gibson ones.

In games, the new Spiderman game is the best Spiderman game out there, and the Arkham Batman games are also the best ones out there. Just because something was good before doesn’t mean it can’t be done as good or better if given to the right creative force.

Exactly.
And that’s why 60’s Batman and 80’s Batman are the best, IMHO. Much better than 1943 or 1949 serials. Or those new versions.

I should rewatch to see whether I like 1940’s or 2000’s version more, but it’s sure neither incarnation is as good as Batman was from 60’s to 80’s.

Who or what gets Oscars doesn’t mean much, as it’s not based on any real measurement of quality. Westerns didn’t do that well before Unforgiven, but Unforgiven is not the best Western ever, and there have been so many great ones that were never even considered for such awards.

If we want to keep this somehow tied to the topic here, I don’t think too many movies with a number “6” in the title have earned any awards anywhere.
What you are proposing is a remake, not a sequel. Then again, we have already seen Monkey Island remake, and it sure wasn’t better than the original was. With the possible exception of added voiceovers.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

GateKeeper - 04 December 2018 06:39 PM

Exactly.
And that’s why 60’s Batman and 80’s Batman are the best, IMHO. Much better than 1943 or 1949 serials. Or those new versions.

I should rewatch to see whether I like 1940’s or 2000’s version more, but it’s sure neither incarnation is as good as Batman was from 60’s to 80’s.

Who or what gets Oscars doesn’t mean much, as it’s not based on any real measurement of quality. Westerns didn’t do that well before Unforgiven, but Unforgiven is not the best Western ever, and there have been so many great ones that were never even considered for such awards.

And quality is measured by your own super subjective standards? Rotten Tomatoes gave The Dark Knight 94% whereas Batman 1989 got 72%.  Metacritic has The Dark Knight at 84% while Batman 1989 is at 69%. IMDB gave The Dark Knight 9/10 whereas Batman 1989 is 7.5. So by all measurements, The Dark Knight is the better movie.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

SoccerDude - 04 December 2018 10:07 PM

And quality is measured by your own super subjective standards? Rotten Tomatoes gave The Dark Knight 94% whereas Batman 1989 got 72%.  Metacritic has The Dark Knight at 84% while Batman 1989 is at 69%. IMDB gave The Dark Knight 9/10 whereas Batman 1989 is 7.5. So by all measurements, The Dark Knight is the better movie.

Quality is always subjective, unless we are talking about physical goods.
Internet rankings mean nothing, as older titles (especially ones from the time before the Internet) always get lower rankings.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top