• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Immersive Game… ? 

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2018-04-14

PM

Hi,

I just finished The Painscreek Killings and I really liked it. I got lost in Painscreek town for days loving every moment of reading diary notes, thinking, piecing things together. I really want something like this in my life right now to just get sucked into and forget things.

Is there another game like this? I tried looking up so many titles. I downloaded True Fear: Foresaken part 1 but I just didn’t like it. I’m not in the mood for hidden object games maybe I don’t know.

I want something with a nostalgic world like Painscreek or Fallout 4 or The Last of Us. Without direct narrative such as Beyond Two Souls or The Walking Dead Games.

I like collecting items and using them on objects or solving puzzles.

Hope what I’m saying makes sense.

Thanks again.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

As someone who also thoroughly enjoyed Painscreek there’s only one title I can think of that might suit but it’s a game I haven’t actually played (or bought!) yet.
I’m referring to The Return Of The Obra Dinn. Everything I’ve read about it suggests it is similar in game style to Painscreek - investigative, deductive, no hand holding etc. - without the long(ish - depends on how powerful your PC was) load times of each area.

It’s a game I’m definitely getting but perhaps others can comment, particularly those that have already played both.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

These games require extensive notetaking, player discretion advised

Curses
Hadean Lands
Make It Good
Jigsaw
1893: A World’s Fair Mystery

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2018-04-14

PM

Wow didn’t think the creator of Papers Please would make a game like Obra Dinn. I was held back by the graphics a bit but it has overwhelmingly good reviews so might try it later.

Donuts, I’ll look up the titles you mentioned.

Thanks guys.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

You might like The Eyes of Ara and the two Initiate games.

Hopeful Broccoli - 11 November 2018 09:17 PM

Donuts, I’ll look up the titles you mentioned.

Donuts forgot to mention that all the games he recommended are text adventures.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2018-04-14

PM

KArlok! I loved The Eyes of Ara! I think i’ve seen The Initiate a few times but didn’t try them. Will look them up.

Thank you

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

If you loved Eyes of Ara it would be safe to say you’d like Haven Moon and Quern - Undying Thoughts. I personally liked both better than Ara. Prominence is another good one if you enjoy sci-fi.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Hopeful Broccoli - 11 November 2018 04:25 AM

I want something with a nostalgic world like Painscreek or Fallout 4 or The Last of Us.

Since you mentioned some non-adventure games there, I’ll recommend the game that has gotten me the most immersed I have been in a game in years.  Yakuza 0.

It has one of the best presentations for a story that I’ve ever seen in a video game.  It’s both incredibly funny, and also moved me to tears more than once, which is extremely rare for a video game to do.

The combat is fun, the minigames are a blast.  The side stories are always clever and entertaining.  There’s so much side stuff to do that you can play for many hours without even touching the main story line, and despite all that I’d say the main story is still the best thing going for it, just because of how well it’s done.

I got incredibly hooked to it the moment I played it, and easily ended up sinking 50+ hours into it, and it’s made me want to play all the other games in the series too.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top