• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games with a fulfilled inventory?

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

Yo. Do you know of any inventory-based adventure games with a fulfilled inventory?

A ‘fulfilled inventory’ means, of course:

1 - You finish the game with an empty inventory. (It’s okay for your last action to obviously use up your last inventory item)

2 - At no point does the game permanently “clean” items from your inventory.

E.g. an item being lost due to being used/given is fine;
Your items *temporarily* being lost while you’re imprisoned is fine;
Some of your items being permanently lost for what is obviously an excuse to bring your inventory down to size is NOT fine;
Neither is all your items being *permanently* lost due to being imprisoned;
There are some gray areas here, but the spirit of the rule is that the game must not senselessly remove items from your inventory - each item must be removed with individual thought put into the removal

The longer the game is and the more inventory items it has, the better.
(So a interactive novels with 1.5 inventory items aren’t really interesting for this question’s purpose)

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Why would any game work like that? It sounds like awful design. It means that the game’s climax would have the easiest puzzles, because you’d have almost emptied your inventory by that point. I can’t think of any adventure that does that, and frankly I hope none does.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

It could have non-inventory-based puzzles closer to the climax, or a puzzle near the climax that requires you to use all your inventory items in some (hopefully respectful to the items) way.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I believe the Simon the Sorcerer games have a fulfilled inventory. I think you use everything in the list and it is not deleted after you have used it. when you said,  2 - At no point does the game permanently “clean” items from your inventory. ”  I guess I thought you meant that they were always there???

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Operation Wintersun and wont wanna see an inventory item again in your life

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

mbday630 - 09 November 2018 11:06 AM

I believe the Simon the Sorcerer games have a fulfilled inventory. I think you use everything in the list and it is not deleted after you have used it.

Theyr looking for games where items *are* deleted after they serve the final purpose. So simon the sorcerer certainly is not that.
I will echo the sentiment that i cant think of any such game and it wouldnt be a good thing if there was.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

If I remember correctly, Return to Zork plays just like that. And while you can literally drop, throw away and destroy items, you are actually supposed to keep everything you can in order to solve the final meta-puzzle by getting rid of all your inventory in one specific place. So that game might be up your alley, although you’ll probably want to get hold of a walkthrough)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Many casual games (most with hidden object puzzles) delete items that the player doesn’t need anymore, but I can’t think of an adventure game that fits the bill.  I have played a few, like The Feeble Files and Traitors Gate, in which the inventory becomes cumbersome because everything is kept whether needed or not.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

if i had a miss understood, there is one or two games they have the option of inventory items vanishes after doing its job, wasn’t black mirror had this option at least slightly when you use something its whether ends broken or just disappear. but eventually, most adventures starts every bew chapter with a clean inventory of those unneeded, but to have an adventure where you reach the end with all exhausted and vanished, there only one i played two decades ago on PS2, which is Silent Hill.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Kurufinwe - 09 November 2018 10:29 AM

Why would any game work like that? It sounds like awful design. It means that the game’s climax would have the easiest puzzles, because you’d have almost emptied your inventory by that point. I can’t think of any adventure that does that, and frankly I hope none does.

Well that’s not really true. You can design the climatic puzzles around completely different puzzle schemes than looting every loose object and trying to combine them with everything randomly.

But otherwise your question makes sense: why is it important to have inventory in some state, is there some deeper meaning here that doesn’t make sense without explanation?

I think one charm in adventure games has always been random useless objects that you carry around through the world, never needing to use them.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

GateKeeper - 10 November 2018 04:49 AM
Kurufinwe - 09 November 2018 10:29 AM

Well that’s not really true. You can design the climatic puzzles around completely different puzzle schemes than looting every loose object and trying to combine them with everything randomly.

XING: The Land Beyond did a very good job at climatic puzzles, I thought.  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top