• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Get your game movies of adventure games here.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Here we go, the first game movie to give you an idea what they’re like. Rather than make a separate thread for each one, I thought it best to just make a one stop shop and update this thread as I get them done. If anyone else is doing something similar, then by all means post your links here as well. Wink This is not just about me, but about game movies of adventures in general. I’d be interested in checking other people’s work out myself. Smile

Let’s start with Full Throttle Remastered:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiCwdvC57cBrM4jf_buhltJJRoeKk_5EY

Image Attachments

Full_quarter.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Now you’re just spamming the forum. Not a good start is it

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Burge - 02 November 2018 07:57 PM

Now you’re just spamming the forum. Not a good start is it

How am I spamming the forum? I thought this solution was just the opposite.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not sure I understand. The “Full Game” at 21 minutes is shorter by about two hours if one plays the segments individually. This may be a great idea, but I don’t get it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

rtrooney - 02 November 2018 08:27 PM

Not sure I understand. The “Full Game” at 21 minutes is shorter by about two hours if one plays the segments individually. This may be a great idea, but I don’t get it.

And I’m not sure I understand you right now. Tongue The whole playlist is just under 2 hours long. What is shorter than the full game?

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have watched some video walkthroughs for Windows games that interest me but are ones can’t play on my Mac.  Also, I sometimes use them as a quick way to search for a particular scene from a game I’ve already played.  I do prefer them without commentary, which I find distracting, especially when the commentator tries to be funny or mocks the game too much.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The only adventure game videos I ever watch are some Top 10, Top 15, or something lists made by other people. There are very few good ones as it’s kind of difficult to balance the line where you tell enough about the game, but on the other hand don’t have any real spoilers.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but story + gameplay = a game, not a movie. Your videos seem like playthroughs without commentary to me. Personaly I see nothing wrong with it, people enjoy doing them nowadays, and they are handy for finding a visual solution to something like that marble puzzle from Shivers. But I don’t watch them for the sake of watching, of course, I can play games myself. I, too, like watching tops and those nostalgic reviews of the gaming history and how video games were better back in the day.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Doom - 03 November 2018 06:49 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but story + gameplay = a game, not a movie. Your videos seem like playthroughs without commentary to me.

They’re not meant to be movies, they’re game movies. It’s a term describing this particular genre. Like let’s plays for playthroughs with commentary, or walkthroughs showing how to beat a game. Game movies don’t include sections irrelevant to story, so you can’t rely on them as guides on how to get through a certain puzzle or smth. For the most part though, yeah they feel like playthroughs, albeit with a lot of editing to keep the story moving at a steady pace.

Game movies are actually quite popular among blockbuster games these days. Not so much with adventures though, I only know myself who focuses on adventures. Tongue But I know a lot of channels working on action games. That said, they aren’t for everyone ofc. If it doesn’t sound like something up your alley, then move along, nothing to see here. Smile

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

From what I’m understanding, Tamiil’s videos are abridged versions of games that are made specifically to focus on the story elements & intended to be watched as a ‘movie’ rather than be used as a walkthrough?

I’ve known posters in the past offering comments here about games that they’ve only ever experienced by watching walkthroughs on You Tube so perhaps a game movie might appeal to those non-players.

I’m not sure whether I’d watch a game movie as I prefer to play. But perhaps a game movie with a great story & graphics with otherwise far too much action for me to want to play might be of interest. Smile

EDIT: You beat me to it Tamiil & have more or less confirmed what I thought!  Smile   

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 November 2018 02:03 AM

I have watched some video walkthroughs for Windows games that interest me but are ones can’t play on my Mac.  Also, I sometimes use them as a quick way to search for a particular scene from a game I’ve already played.  I do prefer them without commentary, which I find distracting, especially when the commentator tries to be funny or mocks the game too much.

This is pretty much why I started doing game movies. I didn’t like how walkthroughs showed everything, even aimless wandering and other things that dragged the pace down. As you’re playing time flies and you don’t notice it, but passively watching someone figuring out where to go or what to do is boring. Since I didn’t find videos that suited my preferences, I started making game movies myself. Smile

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

chrissie - 03 November 2018 09:22 AM

From what I’m understanding, Tamiil’s videos are abridged versions of games that are made specifically to focus on the story elements & intended to be watched as a ‘movie’ rather than be used as a walkthrough?

The only problem is… What part of an adventure game isn’t a story element?
Do you take out the puzzles? But surely Guybrush insult swordfighting his way to beat the swordmaster is part of the story too?

I find that most youtube playthroughs don’t have any aimless wandering anyway.
How does your “game movies” differ from this Fate of Atlantis playthrough, for example?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Tamiil - 03 November 2018 09:24 AM

......I didn’t like how walkthroughs showed everything, even aimless wandering and other things that dragged the pace down. As you’re playing time flies and you don’t notice it, but passively watching someone figuring out where to go or what to do is boring….

Much as I appreciate the effort that goes into a video walkthrough I don’t quite get why some of the up-loaders of these don’t work out the game first. No, I don’t want to watch someone struggling through a game (I don’t need any help to do that! Laughing ) & agree - it’s boring!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

cyfoyjvx - 03 November 2018 09:29 AM

Do you take out the puzzles? But surely Guybrush insult swordfighting his way to beat the swordmaster is part of the story too?

Tamiil does state in his other thread that he does include story relevant gameplay so I guess that would include Guybrush’s insult swordfighting.

There’s plenty of games that include stand-alone puzzles which don’t add anything to the story except perhaps on completion.

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

chrissie - 03 November 2018 09:51 AM
cyfoyjvx - 03 November 2018 09:29 AM

Tamiil does state in his other thread that he does include story relevant gameplay so I guess that would include Guybrush’s insult swordfighting.

There’s plenty of games that include stand-alone puzzles which don’t add anything to the story except perhaps on completion.

Yeah, this sums up things nicely. There probably wouldn’t be much difference between what I’d do and that Indiana Jones longplay. Something I’ve realized after doing this for a while is that older adventures don’t have that much filler. Puzzles are very nicely tied to the story and have a reason to be there, so I can’t cut them out. Newer games however usually have quite a few standalone puzzles that have nothing to do with anything other than being obstacles. Those aren’t included in my videos.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, thank you for explanation. This actually makes sence as a standalone genre I guess: people can watch games flow without any distraction, like they were originally meant to be played. I’d like to see The 7th Guest movie though Grin

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top